Lack of NFC

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
As a recent iCult convert to Android I'm still learning the ropes. I'm looking into getting the Atrix HD, but my question is what am I missing out on with the lack of NFC. I know you can use it to pay at certain places, and I could use it to "beam" between my phone and my Nexus 7 (beam what I'm not entirely sure). What other functionality does NFC add?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had a second gen iPhone for 4 years and my new Atrix HD will arrive from Amazon tomorrow. I've been researching the switch for months and after playing with the Samsung, HTC and Nokia phones, the Atrix HD is a breath of fresh air. For me, NFC is more of a bell and whistle then something that adds important functionality, but you may view it differently.

The closest comparison to the MAHD is the HTC One X in my opinion. And after monitoring the One X forum for a couple of months, it became clear that the hardware has problems and the Sense UI removes a lot of the important functions of vanilla Android. In comparison, the Moto UI is nearly stock Andriod, the screen is easily as nice or nicer than the HTC, the processors are identical as is the RAM, and it has a microSD slot, which some claim will handle a 64 gb card. Even if it only handles a 32gb card, that still makes the total storage nearly 40 gb, which for me is way more than enough.

I got mine at Amazon for $50, no tax, shipping or restocking fee and I can't wait to get it. If you're not with ATT already, you may not want to get it at Amazon though since they have an additional ETF on top of the one ATT has if you cancel your contract. I like ATT so it's a no brainer. I just saved nearly $100 which is huge in comparison to the cost of the One X or GS3, which to me, don't compare.

Whatever you decide make sure to use this community for help. The people here are awesome which makes the transition fro iOS to Android so much easier.

Reactions: pdhahn

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
If sounds like I can live without NFC. I'm sure down the road we'll all be using something like that, but for right now I'm more than willing to pass it up in light of the price-point and the other features.

I'm really close to taking the plunge. The only thing I want to do is get my hands on a demo model in store, because I feel like no matter how much research you do online there's no real substitute for seeing a device in person.

And yeah, on a side note, the helpfulness of the Android community completely blows me away. It's one of the somewhat-unspoken selling points of coming over from the Apple universe, which seems cold by comparison.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll find the phone pretty amazing. Make sure to compare the bright white screen and resolution to the more expensive models like the GS3 and One X. Since Moto decided to use on-screen buttons, you do lose some screen real estate, but again, at the price point, specs, screen, etc. I think its probably the best value on the market bar none. Of course those that took the $200+ plunge on the other phones, will argue but who cares!

Mine wasn't supposed to show up until tomorrow, but I got a surprise and it showed today. Unfortunately, Amazon shipped the black instead of white, but they're very good about sending a replacement in one day as well as providing a return shipping label.

This is the link for the MAHD support page and if you page through the manual, you'll see just how amazing Andriod is over iOS. You can literally customize every single aspect of the phone and its functions..and this is just the tip of the iceberg: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM0MzAwNTkwNi9zaWQvQzFCUkJQMWw=

Reactions: pdhahn

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If you can afford the $199 go for the Samsung. Bigger screen, bigger battery, far superior camera and if you're going on contract far more future proof because of things like NFC. However if you can only swing $49 then the Atrix is a good phone at that price point.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I would disagree with madlaw completely here..

Just compare the screen resolution and accuracy and right there, you'll find a HUGE difference. AMOLED screens have a noticeable blue tint when you view anything with white backgrounds like most web sites. Also, when you pinch zoom text you'll notice how much sharper the Atrix screen is compared to the GS3. The OneX also has a better screen than the GS3 which is well known. I think it's a matter of taste and what draws your eye.

Both phones have the SAME processor and run ICS, though the Motorola skin over Android is minimal while TW is significant. You also know that the GS3 has a physical home button that you may or may not like. Buying a phone for its camera? Hmmm.. again, that's personal preference. When I evaluate how much I use the camera vs calling, texing, email, etc. its a very small percentage.

There's no arguing that a bigger, removable battery is nice as is having NFC. So the question is whether you feel the difference in price is really worth it. I don't.

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I ended up purchasing the S3, although I thought that the MAHD was a great looking phone as well. After playing around with them both I just had a better feeling about the S3. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase, but obviously it's a personal preference kind of thing. Most of all I'm glad to be rid of my old iphone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well oddly enough, it wasn't in the cards for me to have the MAHD.

Amazon screwed up my order twice by shipping the wrong phone and then completely took the phone off their site for a couple of days, though it's back today. Meantime, it gave me cause to think whether it was the best option, so I'm going to hang out for a while. I also have to wait a few more days until ATT resets my upgrade anyway. I actually got a couple of bonuses from Amazon for the missteps in the form of some nice credits I can use later.

I do like the GS3's features and from what they're saying it looks like it may even get the JB update sooner than expected. What I don't like is the TouchWiz UI as compared to the Moto UI on the Atrix though. It's my feeling that the closer to stock Android you can get the better.

Hope you enjoy the GS3 too!

westex#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Just a comment on NFC: I have an SGS3 (bought it for the bigger screen and removable battery) and would like to point out that AT&T has most of the NFC functions crippled. Google Wallet doesn't even work. So I feel like the NFC question is a push.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Since smart phones are general-purpose devices, and intrinsically hackable, I would prefer to hold off on having NFC for a bit longer. I don't care that much if someone hacks my contact list. I care a lot if they hack my bank account. Basically, I don't trust new technology that is too powerful, especially when it's one little feature in a complicated package.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Since smart phones are general-purpose devices, and intrinsically hackable, I would prefer to hold off on having NFC for a bit longer. I don't care that much if someone hacks my contact list. I care a lot if they hack my bank account. Basically, I don't trust new technology that is too powerful, especially when it's one little feature in a complicated package.

You can turn NFC off in Settings, so that's a poor reason to get a phone that is basically technologically crippled compared even to other devices on the same carrier with similar specs at the same price range. The GS2, Skyrocket, Ion, and One X are all on AT&T at a $99 or less price range and have NFC capability. It's like buying a phone without a camera because you don't take pictures - at this time...

Technology isn't just about being capable. It's also about being ready. That's why OEMs try to future proof their phones. NFC is too cheap to skimp out on, IMO. They should have put it in.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I doubt I'll keep a device for more than 2 years. There will be something newer and more exciting.

I wouldn't actively avoid a phone just because it had NFC, but I wouldn't avoid a phone that didn't have it, either. Not this year, and probably not next year, either.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9