Latercase - S21 Ultra - Love it :)

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
This is not a promotional post. I purchased Latercase with my hard earned money :)
This is one of the thinnest case i have seen that can provide decent protection. Obviously, by the looks of it, one can say it will not provide as much protection as an OtterBox Defender type case would. For those who want to enjoy their S21 Ultra without adding any bulk to it, i guess this is the one to go for.

The build quality is great, and the rubbery finish on it gives a good grip with a nice feel in the hands. There is small raise on the four corners at the display, so you can keep your phone on a flat surface with its back on the top.

The cyber edition covers the camera lenses (unlike Pitaka) and is a good protection.
There are similar looking cases available on Ali Express, but not sure if they are made of Kevlar. Also, with my experience i have compared the MNML case for Pixel 5 with similar from Ali Express. The ones from Ali Express were not precision cut. Latercase, for sure is 100% precision cut, giving the camera module a good look.

I recommend this case (again don't expect a OtterBox type of protection).View attachment 332175View attachment 332174View attachment 332176View attachment 332177View attachment 33217820210223_151703.jpg20210223_153818.jpg20210223_151813.jpg20210223_151625.jpg

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Latercase on this past Saturday. My first experience with it. Coming from pitaka as my go to for every upgrade from now on I'm sticking with this Latercase I prefer thin and minimalistic I'm a fan of carbon fiber and Kevlar which is what this is made of not to mention it's much cheaper than pitaka.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I was considering this case. However, I have read that grip isn't that great (although that was with possibly older iterations of the case) - how is the grip? I think it ticks the box of just about everything I'm after, except that it doesn't remove the wobble when the phone sits on a flat surface.

I like the fact it has some "lip" on the front. I think the Pitaka cases don't have this. However, I've read that the Pitaka cases have more grip - is this true?

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I was considering this case. However, I have read that grip isn't that great (although that was with possibly older iterations of the case) - how is the grip? I think it ticks the box of just about everything I'm after, except that it doesn't remove the wobble when the phone sits on a flat surface.

I like the fact it has some "lip" on the front. I think the Pitaka cases don't have this. However, I've read that the Pitaka cases have more grip - is this true?
I like the grip of Later Case as always. Used it on my Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 5 before and its my go to case.
Any paper thin box cannot remove the wobble due to the big camera bump. In that case, you might need to switch to a bulky one.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I like the grip of Later Case as always. Used it on my Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 5 before and its my go to case.
Any paper thin box cannot remove the wobble due to the big camera bump. In that case, you might need to switch to a bulky one.

So just to confirm, it's not a slippery feel on the case?

Not quite true with the wobble statement - Ringke Onyx isn't a very bulky case (although significantly more bulky than this Latercase) - the design of how it removes the wobble is quite cute - simply have little bumps in the other 3 corners that are the same length as the camera bump. Arguably this isn't very appealing cosmetically, but this principle could be applied on all cases.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
So just to confirm, it's not a slippery feel on the case?

Not quite true with the wobble statement - Ringke Onyx isn't a very bulky case (although significantly more bulky than this Latercase) - the design of how it removes the wobble is quite cute - simply have little bumps in the other 3 corners that are the same length as the camera bump. Arguably this isn't very appealing cosmetically, but this principle could be applied on all cases.

I have similar grip concerns to you. It's difficult, as one person's grippy might still be slick to another. I lean towards the Pitaka, probably because of the same comparisons you have seen. I'd just buy one to try if they were $25. At the current prices, I'm more hesitant.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Does this case keep the camera glass from touching the surface? I'm thinking of upgrading from the S20+ solely for the fantastic camera upgrades being a photography enthusiast, but I like having MST in stores with terminals that don't support NFC and removable SD card but can live without both to get the better cameras. My only other concern was that in the majority of "pro" reviews, they mention the phone feels a bit uncomfortable or awkward to use due to the size and weight (can't have your cake and eat it too!) With a case on, it would be pretty gigantic so nice to see this case is ultra ultra thin which is what I'd go for as long as the camera glass is protected from contacting the surface. Could care less about wobble. Grip is important but pretty much any case is more grippy than these phones without case.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
The grip is great, case doesn't add any bulk, but obviously, don't expect a OtterBox type protection. You should know what you are buying. There are people who are giving negative rating to S21 series because they realize it doesn't have SD card slot :)

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Today I received my samsung silicone case with s pen garage. I am loving it compared to the ugho speed turtle I had on it. I don't think it will see my phone like the turtle would but it is minimal and the 21 goes back into my pocket with pen. Just my opinion.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I have similar grip concerns to you. It's difficult, as one person's grippy might still be slick to another. I lean towards the Pitaka, probably because of the same comparisons you have seen. I'd just buy one to try if they were $25. At the current prices, I'm more hesitant.

The Pitaka is more expensive and appears to have zero front lip. I wonder if newer Latercase models have more grip then previous ones.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Just received. Overall, really nice. What k didn't realize until after I ordered is it doesn't go all the way around the phone. I don't mind the bottom being exposed but I worry the top rail will get scuffs and scratches. It's got a great feel though. Nice grip. Very thin. Almost paper thin.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Finally received it today (over 4 weeks after ordering it), and a couple of observations (coming from the Ringke Onyx case):

-Grip is okay overall. If your hand is slightly damp/wet/dirty, then the grip is very good. If your hand is dry and clean, you can certainly feel a smoothness to it that isn't particularly great (in terms of being super reassuring that the phone won't slip out of your hand). I suspect this was done on purpose in order to be "slick" enough when removing the phone from an eg. trouser pocket. However, I still think the best balance of good grip and "slickness" is this case (that is, the "gravel" version, which unfortunately doesn't exist anymore for newer Samsung phones):
https://www.amazon.com/anccer-Samsu...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6934111
I'm wondering if this case may be the equivalent in terms of grip for the S21 Ultra (although I'm not a big fan of the writing/logo on the back):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RNPZRN6?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6934111

-The cutouts for the camera bump area don't appear perfect - this is most noticeable with the light and autofocus areas. That is, the cutouts don't appear completely symmetrical/perfect around each camera/light/autofocus area, in terms of "space" around them. However, I don't think there's any functional impact.

-Contrary to the Ringke Onyx with the little bumps in three corners to balance out the unevenness of the camera bump, this latercase doesn't provide any such balance. Therefore, the phone will wobble in varying degrees if you apply enough pressure with the phone lying on its back. The wobble is particularly noticeable when pressing the phone in the top left corner.

The pros/advantages of this case have already been well described repeatedly and in various forums/videos, so I won't repeat it here. Overall, I personally can't recommend this case for the price. However, if you are able to get it for free or at a discount, and you don't mind the above "issues", then it may suit you well.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks nice and clean.

I don't usually buy cases for phones, I like them without cases, but this one looks really thin and doesn't add much bulk to the phone at all.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
This is not a promotional post. I purchased Latercase with my hard earned money :)
This is one of the thinnest case i have seen that can provide decent protection. Obviously, by the looks of it, one can say it will not provide as much protection as an OtterBox Defender type case would. For those who want to enjoy their S21 Ultra without adding any bulk to it, i guess this is the one to go for.

The build quality is great, and the rubbery finish on it gives a good grip with a nice feel in the hands. There is small raise on the four corners at the display, so you can keep your phone on a flat surface with its back on the top.

The cyber edition covers the camera lenses (unlike Pitaka) and is a good protection.
There are similar looking cases available on Ali Express, but not sure if they are made of Kevlar. Also, with my experience i have compared the MNML case for Pixel 5 with similar from Ali Express. The ones from Ali Express were not precision cut. Latercase, for sure is 100% precision cut, giving the camera module a good look.

I recommend this case (again don't expect a OtterBox type of protection).View attachment 332175View attachment 332174View attachment 332176View attachment 332177View attachment 332178View attachment 332179View attachment 332180View attachment 332181View attachment 332182

Hi, since you've probably been using this case for over a month now, what is your overall impression now? I have one specific query - do you find the camera cutouts promote the gathering of dust over the camera lens, and if so, have you noticed issues with photography and video?