Latest OTA rooted!

sj808

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
yes I checked out the clockwork mod sticky thread but is confused as hell right now because I didn't know what step to start from after this root method we using in this thread. I'm lost right now..

So lets break it down. You followed all of those steps, so now you have root and superuser control yes?

In which case, to flash custom roms. Read all of this first.

1. Download clockwork rom manager from the appstore.
2. Run Clockwork and install the custom recovery (first option)
3. Back up your current rom (scroll down option 8)
4. Phone will restart after step 3, Download your favorite ROM, and put it on your SD card.
5. In clockwork select the option "install rom from sd card"
6. Allow it to takes its course, phone will restart after.

Thats all folks.

Also if you want to try and keep your settings, download "Titanium" and back up all apps and data first, then do step 1. (in titanium press menu, then batch, select "back up all apps and user data")

Last edited:

dolomatt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would try Damage Control 3.2.3 it is a great rom with a lot of options and it is a battery saver. I installed it yesterday afternoon and im going on over 15 hours charge with about 20% to spare. I think it will get me just about at 24 hours without a charge.:p

One question, on the damage control thread at XDA it says you need the new radio to flash it. Is this the case even if I did the most recent OTA from sprint? I am going to use the new root method since I did the OTA.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
One question, on the damage control thread at XDA it says you need the new radio to flash it. Is this the case even if I did the most recent OTA from sprint? I am going to use the new root method since I did the OTA.

if you did the ota you have to use the newest root method. If a rom says you need a specific radio, or anything else, thats specific to that rom. You should probably install it per the rom's creators instructions.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

You are correct. If you updated to the new OTA you have the new radio. Go ahead and flash away. Once finished make sure you reboot. If not you will look dumbfounded like myself on my first flash. Reboot is your friend. :cool:

sj808

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So lets break it down. You followed all of those steps, so now you have root and superuser control yes?

In which case, to flash custom roms. Read all of this first.

1. Download clockwork recovery from the appstore.
2. Run Clockwork and install the custom recovery (first option)
3. Back up your current rom (scroll down option 8)
4. Phone will restart after step 3, Download your favorite ROM, and put it on your SD card.
5. In clockwork select the option "install rom from sd card"
6. Allow it to takes its course, phone will restart after.

Thats all folks.

Also if you want to try and keep your settings, download "Titanium" and back up all apps and data first, then do step 1. (in titanium press menu, then batch, select "back up all apps and user data")

thank you. I appreciate that.

After 2 hours of getting ADB working and running through problems.. I'm finally rooted, with a headache. At first I was just going to chill and leave it that that, but thanks to Liquid's reply I might switch it up.

I've flashed numerous roms on WinMo and homebrew my Pre, but damn Android is a pain to new users.

sj808

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
wait.. Liquid, I just searched "Clockwork Recovery" in the app store and nothing comes up. Is ROM Manager the same thing?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
yea clockwork rom manager is the app, it flashes the clock work recovery for you =)

thanks for the catch, its been amended.

However, every one, please note that all of this is available in the the sticky posts and throughout the forum. Please search =)

sj808

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
anybody have issue during their root with the part2 searching? i have been stuck there for the last 2 hours, need help.

thats the part I was getting trouble with too. you have to time it right. post the code in cmd to be ready before rebooting. then when you phone comes back on... wait until you hear the windows sound that its telling you its connected to the phone and then press enter. I had to read numerous pages on XDA to find that out.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
anybody have issue during their root with the part2 searching? i have been stuck there for the last 2 hours, need help.

Start from scratch. You have to time it just right. Soon as your phone boots and you see the htc evo bootsplash, start typing. :cool:

sj808

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
has anyone got the Wifi Tethering to work after this rooting? When I start the app it says "your phone is currently in a unkown state. try rebooting". So I reboot and still get the same message.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
has anyone got the Wifi Tethering to work after this rooting? When I start the app it says "your phone is currently in a unkown state. try rebooting". So I reboot and still get the same message.

It only works if you download a custom rom or any particular rom already has wireless tethering in it.

Im using Damage Control. I had to add wireless tethering from code.google. I was getting the same error message when I only installed the new root method. Hope this helps. You have full root already, go ahead and take 5 more minutes and flash a new rom. :cool:

sj808

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
It only works if you download a custom rom or any particular rom already has wireless tethering in it.

Im using Damage Control. I had to add wireless tethering from code.google. I was getting the same error message when I only installed the new root method. Hope this helps. You have full root already, go ahead and take 5 more minutes and flash a new rom. :cool:

damn damn damn man. LOL. the unrevoked1 way was sooooo much easier. Dude, I'm going to wait until my next day off. I spent my whole day off doing all of this and I got a huge headache, I can't take anymore. LOL

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
damn damn damn man. LOL. the unrevoked1 way was sooooo much easier. Dude, I'm going to wait until my next day off. I spent my whole day off doing all of this and I got a huge headache, I can't take anymore. LOL

Lol bro, seriously it takes a few minutes to flash a new rom. Just try it. I guarantee it doesnt take longer than 10 minutes max. :cool:

bleedblue

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Hell yeah, been wanting to root the Evo ever since I was c*** blocked by the OTA. Learned muh lesson I suppose. :eek:

With that being said, obviously, I am pretty new to the Android business. Have followed the "tutorial" and I guess I'm done ... I'm seeing the new business, it all went through as I should think it should. I see some new apps, dev tools / CIQ tools / etc etc and so I assume the rooting process was a success. But I'm not seeing the super user permissions? I'm still hunting around, so I may stumble upon this answer somewhere else. I guess the impression I get is that once the phone is rooted you get this? Or it's enabled / made available to the "user?" I still have yet to go through the NAND business. Figured I'd post as a question, maybe before the hours of paging through, uh, pages is complete. :p

Can't wait to get busy with all this business. Was super easy once I got it going, some hiccups in the beginning but I think the wording of one of the guides was a bit confusing. Had about 4 different guides going, from suggestions, and I just got caught up in some silly over-thinking.

sevenx

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Lol bro, seriously it takes a few minutes to flash a new rom. Just try it. I guarantee it doesnt take longer than 10 minutes max. :cool:

IS there a basic guide somewhere to flashing a rom and making sure you have everything properly backed up in case **** hits the fan?

Thanks in advance

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
when you say start from scratch, you mean do another factory reset?

No not another factory reset, just start the root process all over again.

IS there a basic guide somewhere to flashing a rom and making sure you have everything properly backed up in case **** hits the fan?

Thanks in advance

You can find everything you need to know over at xda. EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers you may need to signup to view the forums.