Launchers & Themes - New to Android and Nexus 6p!

pargony

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I recently bought a Nexus 6p with Google Fi, which is awesome! I've previously only owned windows phones (7, 8.1 and unable to be upgraded to 10, thus the change). I love the phone, great battery life, screen, camera, fast charge and fingerprint reader!!

When playing around with my friend's phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) I noticed she can change the themes. I have yet to find any theme store in the settings on stock android....it seems to be a theme store specific to galaxy but she isn't any help to figure that out, not great with technology. I was curious if any of you fine people have some tips on where to start with customizing the phone. I installed some theme app (Go Launcher), which seemed to make the phone real slow to switch pages on the home screen and changed the layout of everything. It seems it's a launcher, not just a theme....which generally I'm happy with the stock android launcher. I also installed the Microsoft Arrow launcher, which was nice to be able to control groove music player on the home/lock screen....though ultimately it got rid of all the nice google cards when I swipe left so I uninstalled that as well. I figured out that I could just put a Groove widget on the home screen.

I have long been a Microsoft fan, but they screwed me over with the jump to windows phone 8, and windows phone 10 now too (plus no phone upgrade options on t-mobile for any future windows phones from the Lumia 925 which is now seriously dated)....I have windows 10 on my desktop for photo editing, laptop for putting stuff up on the living room TV, surface pro 3 to take notes in college classes and previously my phone. So I'd really appreciate any help offered here to get my toes wet in the Android ecosystem. I know some of you might say to ditch Groove, it's an awful app, though it has been improving, at least on Windows. Sadly it's even worse on Android than Windows Phone, which is weird because all of MSFT's other apps are better on Android than windows. I use groove on everything else and would like to customize my phone a bit and keep using Groove for the time being, though open to suggestions of course to improve life :)

Overall I'm pretty good with technology and would even consider nuking the OS to put a custom ROM on it, though no clue how to do that as of yet. As long as there's a path to reinstall stock Android if I mess it up, I'd probably feel comfortable playing with it. I DO enjoy the fact that with a stock android phone it will keep me updated, security is important to me.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading if you made it this far. Links to good reading material about these subjects would be great, I searched the forums a bit first and couldn't find what I thought i needed to search for.

Thanks!!

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Nova Launcher and APEX Launcher are very popular IIRC

As it Google Now etc

There are all sorts of themes available on the Play store; choose to your hearts content!

For a music app; I highly recommend the Poweramp app; it's one of the best IMO

This is my N6P running Nova with the DCiconZ theme:

66SMASHerG25

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I like smart launcher 3. It allows me to put the icons in the bottom right corner of the screen for easy navigation.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I recently bought a Nexus 6p with Google Fi, which is awesome! I've previously only owned windows phones (7, 8.1 and unable to be upgraded to 10, thus the change). I love the phone, great battery life, screen, camera, fast charge and fingerprint reader!!

When playing around with my friend's phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) I noticed she can change the themes. I have yet to find any theme store in the settings on stock android....it seems to be a theme store specific to galaxy but she isn't any help to figure that out, not great with technology. I was curious if any of you fine people have some tips on where to start with customizing the phone. I installed some theme app (Go Launcher), which seemed to make the phone real slow to switch pages on the home screen and changed the layout of everything. It seems it's a launcher, not just a theme....which generally I'm happy with the stock android launcher. I also installed the Microsoft Arrow launcher, which was nice to be able to control groove music player on the home/lock screen....though ultimately it got rid of all the nice google cards when I swipe left so I uninstalled that as well. I figured out that I could just put a Groove widget on the home screen.

I have long been a Microsoft fan, but they screwed me over with the jump to windows phone 8, and windows phone 10 now too (plus no phone upgrade options on t-mobile for any future windows phones from the Lumia 925 which is now seriously dated)....I have windows 10 on my desktop for photo editing, laptop for putting stuff up on the living room TV, surface pro 3 to take notes in college classes and previously my phone. So I'd really appreciate any help offered here to get my toes wet in the Android ecosystem. I know some of you might say to ditch Groove, it's an awful app, though it has been improving, at least on Windows. Sadly it's even worse on Android than Windows Phone, which is weird because all of MSFT's other apps are better on Android than windows. I use groove on everything else and would like to customize my phone a bit and keep using Groove for the time being, though open to suggestions of course to improve life :)

Overall I'm pretty good with technology and would even consider nuking the OS to put a custom ROM on it, though no clue how to do that as of yet. As long as there's a path to reinstall stock Android if I mess it up, I'd probably feel comfortable playing with it. I DO enjoy the fact that with a stock android phone it will keep me updated, security is important to me.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading if you made it this far. Links to good reading material about these subjects would be great, I searched the forums a bit first and couldn't find what I thought i needed to search for.

Thanks!!

Try Nova launcher. It's an amazing launcher with tons of customizations. Enjoy!

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I love the Calvin and Hobbes wall if you're willing to share. I agree on Nova. It's great.

KeyserS0ze

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Yeah try Nova Launcher and look for an "icon pack" you like and see someone else using in the "show me your screen" thread at the top of the page. Apex Launcher is good as well and I had no issues with it, but it's not as popular and has less updates.

For music research the Google Music app for your pc and phone and synchronize that way, it will find playlists you create on your PC and also check out (as mentioned) Poweramp to play music/playlists as well.

My system right now for music is to create smart playlists in ITunes (still the best at creating smart playlists) then import it into Musicbee and from there just copy to the phone's music/playlists directories via PC using USB transfer.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Nova Launcher and APEX Launcher are very popular IIRC

As it Google Now etc

There are all sorts of themes available on the Play store; choose to your hearts content!

For a music app; I highly recommend the Poweramp app; it's one of the best IMO

This is my N6P running Nova with the DCiconZ theme:

[url]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/danbutterworth/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-05/Screenshot_20160518-210441_zpsti6rr6wv.png[/URL]

This online to use or personal? I'd love this as my wallpaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174