LG G4 - Phone turns on while charging

BK-Android

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I have LG G4. I turn off my phone then plug in the wall charger. After a couple seconds i get the battery icon with moving dots indicating charging. Then a few seconds more the phone turns on.

Can I charge with phone off?

Please Help!

Hi I recently purchased the LG G4 and noticed the same thing. I do find it strange prefer to charge with phone switched off sometimes for quickness. I have owned many phone S3, S5 and couple of HTC none have done this! I think just one of those things nothing wrong with handset.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
So on my first G4, I tried charging once with the LG charger, with the phone powered down, and that worked. The phone stayed off.

I just tried it again with my second G4, and the phone kept turning on again, even if I had the charger plugged in already, and then powered it down. I tried it a few times, with the same result. It then hit me that I'm currently using my Aukey QC 2.0 charger. I tried a generic, non-QC charger, and the phone stayed off when I powered it down with the charger plugged in.

My guess would be that Quick Charge requires the phone to be awake. If for no other reason than QC chargers need to do some data communication with the phone to find out what voltage the phone can handle, before QC is enabled. So maybe that communication requirement wakes the phone up.

Too bad, I was hoping QC + powering the phone down might give extra-quick charging.

Dan Seabreeze

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes, mine does the same thing:

1) I enabled developer options to make sure the "stay awake" feature was not enabled and it was not.
2) I have already plugged in while off. Turned itself on while plugged I turned it off, it still turns itself back on.
3) Nothing in developer options was been messed with or turned on.
4) No other phone I've ever had has insisted on being on while being wall charged.
5) The phone will charge while off only while connected to the computer's usb.
6) I have the international version of the LG G4 bought on Amazon.com.
7) It is a bit of a pain in the a** :mad:

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
On the subject of charging, Im led to believe that this phone is supposed to be fast charging. My phone has been on charge now for an hour and is only up to 40%. Doesn't seem particularly fast. Ive read claims of 80% charge in 30 mins.

Evan Jones2

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have an answer for this yet? My phone turns on while charging regardless of cmination of plugging in / turn off or turn off plug in. I either have to turn all my notifications off, and my voicemail and my voicemail alert, or charge the phone at the other end of the house. Either way it's flipping inconvenient. No other phone I've ever owned has done this, just the LG. Which is going back to the shop if I can't find a resolution for it.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
On the subject of charging, Im led to believe that this phone is supposed to be fast charging. My phone has been on charge now for an hour and is only up to 40%. Doesn't seem particularly fast. Ive read claims of 80% charge in 30 mins.

The phone does indeed support Qualcomm 2.0 fast charging, but the standard charger that LG supplies is a standard one, not fast charge. So you need to get your own fast charger to see the phone charge quickly. And make sure the screen stays off, since the phone seems to be very sensitive to building up heat and will slow down the charge rate as the phone warms up

benhardp

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
as i was searching for an answer i checked the usb connection to the phone and as soon as i turned of the mtp on the phone to just charge, turned off my phone. and it didn't turn on no more so its charging while off i hope it helps you guys too

Ell_ie

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi sorry guys,a late reply... Guess it doesn't really matter anymore just wanted to answer to OP.

About the phone booting up during QC charge figured out it's not to do with dev options actually. Before powering down the device first set flight mode on and then power off. Then the pbone will remain off during charge. For some reasons its just does this way.

Angelo Giambra

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me and it was so simple. I was looking in the wrong place for an answer.

On the plug end, where the USB cable is plugged into the plug, I noticed that the cable did not seem to be pushed in all the way. I pulled it out of the plug, then reinserted it as far as it would go.

Voila! The problem went away. I can now turn off my phone, insert the charging plug, and the phone goes into fast charge and, most importantly, stays powered OFF. Try it. this might work for you as well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This worked for me and it was so simple. I was looking in the wrong place for an answer.

On the plug end, where the USB cable is plugged into the plug, I noticed that the cable did not seem to be pushed in all the way. I pulled it out of the plug, then reinserted it as far as it would go.

Voila! The problem went away. I can now turn off my phone, insert the charging plug, and the phone goes into fast charge and, most importantly, stays powered OFF. Try it. this might work for you as well.
Welcome to AC!
Hopefully it helps someone looking at this older thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984