lg g4s manufactured before September have a defect

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I cannot believe it, I got mine back today. They haven't fixed it :( They've had nearly a MONTH!

It says on the repair sheet, software upgrade, live call conducted successfully, quality control passed.

Within 2 minutes, it did exactly what it did before I sent it off, When I was asking for updates on why it was taking so long, they told me it was because they were waiting on mainboards, would this not suggest they thought mine was having a new mainboard?!?!

I managed to get a picture of it doing what it does, took it just now, it freezes with this artifacting on the screen, then reboots and sometimes it reboots about 4 or 5 times before it works for a short time again.

G4Fault.jpg

I want to cry.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I cannot believe it, I got mine back today. They haven't fixed it :( They've had nearly a MONTH!

It says on the repair sheet, software upgrade, live call conducted successfully, quality control passed.

Within 2 minutes, it did exactly what it did before I sent it off, When I was asking for updates on why it was taking so long, they told me it was because they were waiting on mainboards, would this not suggest they thought mine was having a new mainboard?!?!

I managed to get a picture of it doing what it does, took it just now, it freezes with this artifacting on the screen, then reboots and sometimes it reboots about 4 or 5 times before it works for a short time again.

View attachment 215260

I want to cry.

Damn, that sucks! Sorry to hear. Hope they get it resolved quickly or just find another device. I would be highly upset if I were in your shoes as well.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I called Verizon yesterday and was surprised they actually acknowledged the problem. She said there was no preemptive replacement of working phones (my SN506 has no issues so far) ala a recall, so only thing is to hope I don't have a failure and keep backing up. My question is what seems to be the best option, get LG to repair the phone, or have Verizon replace it with a refurb and hope for the best? Can't remember if there have been posts of folks getting a new G4 over this. I've taken really good of my phone and it's in great condition and would like to keep it if I can't get t replaced with a new one.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon yesterday and was surprised they actually acknowledged the problem. She said there was no preemptive replacement of working phones (my SN506 has no issues so far) ala a recall, so only thing is to hope I don't have a failure and keep backing up. My question is what seems to be the best option, get LG to repair the phone, or have Verizon replace it with a refurb and hope for the best? Can't remember if there have been posts of folks getting a new G4 over this. I've taken really good of my phone and it's in great condition and would like to keep it if I can't get t replaced with a new one.

There are many posts of people sending to LG only to get a still broken phone back. Or one that dies shortly after. Just above your response is one such incident. The replacement phone I received from Verizon looked brand new to me. I tried to find something that would tell me it had been used before and I could not. The physical appearance of the phone seemed like it was taken out of a sealed box. If I had to go through the same thing again, I would backup my phone often and set encryption on it. That way if it does die, you won't need to worry about anyone getting into the phone. Then work with Verizon to get a replacement which very well could be new. Hope it doesn't happen to you though.

Jacob_1982

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Got invited to the G4 boot loop club the day before yesterday (505 s/n from at&t). Contacted LG and just shipped it off. Was pretty happy with the phone up until this, but am now questioning whether I would ever buy another LG phone, at least at launch.

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine is due for collection by the courier today... fingers crossed it'll come back repaired this time!

LG assured me theyd fix it themselves and not send it to their authorised repairer this time and that hes marked it down as 'recall' fix so should get a new mainboard.

We will see.

SSmaster

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This happened to my phone about 3 weeks ago, and yesterday to my wife's phone. Both Verizon, both bought in August, manufactured May, hers is Grey and mine was Best Buy exclusive blue. If you are on Verizon, do yourself a favor, and don't deal with LG, deal with Verizon directly. They will send you a certified like new replacement with 2 day shipping as part of a Warranty repair (no insurance needed). The first time my SD card slot broke, LG had my phone for weeks and just sent it back as broken as it first was, and they delayed "fixing" it by a week because I missed their phone call, called back 5 minutes later to approve them bypassing the google account lock out, and I had to call back a week later and approve the bypassing of the google account lock out again.

Last edited:

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Has this issue been resolved in newer models? I just returned a used one from Amazon that did this (505).

I liked the phone but am wary of purchasing another...

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to know the failure over time distribution. Does the chance of the phone going "bad" - boot loop defect - decrease over time? What will LG do when out of warranty? They should replace our phones for 2+years if the problem is the bad connectors.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Do companies ever do a Recall of phones like car manufacturers do? That would take care of everyone with phones that haven't crapped out yet, but worry it will, like me. The way it is now, I can't get them to fix what isn't broken, but with so may that do, there clearly is a problem that LG could save us all the hassle of being without a phone by fixing them proactively. I hate the "will it or won't it" waiting game.

Last edited:

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
What a pain in the backside. After being told my 2nd repair would take 5 to 7 days. I contacted them on the 7th day and was told no it's about 10 days from when they recieved the phone. OK I thought. So now nearly 2 weeks later, I've contacted them and lo and behold......"We're waiting on stock of mainboards".

Once again promised I'll have it back by the end of the week. This is silly. That's a month and half without the G4 so far.

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Update...Still no G4. Contacted LG UK again today to be told they're still waiting on a mainboard for my phone. They can't give me any information as to when this is going to happen, despite 2 people promising I'd have my phone back by now.

So I've had the G4 for 4 months, 2 of which, LG have had it for this one repair, the first time, they didn't fix it.

I'm supposed to be having a supervisor call me/email me to let me know the situation today but as of 15:54, nothing.

I'm definitely going to be looking closely at the S7 launch. As this is just as poor aftersales care you could get.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, so that means phones with s/n's with "510" also experience the bootloop problem as well, right?

I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. It's certainly possible, but there are other reasons a phone can fail than the known issue here. Many of us who have experienced the bootloop issue had our phones a lot longer than 12 days before it happened.

As I've said before, the "good" news with this bootloop issue is that word is out (warning), and it doesn't apparently impact your phone...until it does. So backup up frequently and go about living your life. Have a backup handset handy if you can. Maybe the bootloop never happens at all for you, and if it does that sucks, but at least you were prepared.

Last edited:

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
What about if the SN starts with 905? Was there a definitive end to wide spread probs of boot loop at end of the 805 batch?

I am thinking of giving up my Nexus 6 for even trade on a same shape G4. This and the heat issues are starting to make me hold up some.

I will be getting a phone with no warranty and such as getting from the bay, swappa or c-list. I just need to know if I have any options to find
a G4 with little known issues as possible from these production dates.

Muawiya Al-Anazi

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
this is so true I don't understand why people disagree or say otherwise; this is a FACT.

mom gifted me this phone in August and it failed yesterday (H-818P) manufactured in May.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justices777