LG G6 Scratches?

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My front glass for the actual screen is perfectly fine on my G6, not even micro scratches, but then I kind of take care of my stuff.

My back glass however started developing scratches VERY easily just from placing it on tables and the like. Smooth, normal tables too, no crazy abrasive stuff lol.

So I went ahead and did what I feel is a good compromise between a case and going naked, since I hate cases typically:

Capture.jpg

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
My front glass for the actual screen is perfectly fine on my G6, not even micro scratches, but then I kind of take care of my stuff.

My back glass however started developing scratches VERY easily just from placing it on tables and the like. Smooth, normal tables too, no crazy abrasive stuff lol.

So I went ahead and did what I feel is a good compromise between a case and going naked, since I hate cases typically:

View attachment 264291

This skin looks so satisfying 0.0 looks like it's part of the device + it's wood :D
I'm guessing slickwraps ?

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
This skin looks so satisfying 0.0 looks like it's part of the device + it's wood :D
I'm guessing slickwraps ?

Sure is, they've been having a lot of sales lately so I pulled the trigger on one of their naturals series, the mahogany one.

Funny enough because it's a solid wood panel application of it is MUCH easier than a normal skin that's flimsy lol.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Sure is, they've been having a lot of sales lately so I pulled the trigger on one of their naturals series, the mahogany one.

Funny enough because it's a solid wood panel application of it is MUCH easier than a normal skin that's flimsy lol.

Nice but unfortunately couple years back i've had too much of a hassle ordering with em and promised myself never again ! If i do get one probably am gonna try dbrand instead. Still nice though ! I just love my blue reflections on my platinum g6 too much :p

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Nice but unfortunately couple years back i've had too much of a hassle ordering with em and promised myself never again ! If i do get one probably am gonna try dbrand instead. Still nice though ! I just love my blue reflections on my platinum g6 too much :p

Oh I totally understand, I had issues with D-Brand so I switched to only slickwraps, but that was just my anecdotal experience haha.

I miss the look of the platinum back for sure, it just scratched too easily for me to justify keeping it bare. This is mainly because I tend to sell my phones to get new ones at least once a year too haha.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Try Toast...they make really nice wood panels

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I can second that opinion, they did a really good job on my buddies iPhone and Macbook. A bit on the pricy side though imo, and they almost never have sales from what I remember.

EDIT:

Looks like TOAST doesn't have a G6 skin yet....

Shop - Phones - Android - LG - Toast

Here's hoping they make one soon.

Can't lie i really love the custom case option and i REALLY hope they make both for the g6. But i wonder how real do these feel ? Or do they even feel real at all ? I'm a huge fan of wood cases/skins i haven't bought any skins since my bad experience with slickwraps but i do feel these would be great feel in the hand and sturdy enough to count as a slim case. Will keep checking in hopes i see one for the g6 for sure !

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Can't lie i really love the custom case option and i REALLY hope they make both for the g6. But i wonder how real do these feel ? Or do they even feel real at all ? I'm a huge fan of wood cases/skins i haven't bought any skins since my bad experience with slickwraps but i do feel these would be great feel in the hand and sturdy enough to count as a slim case. Will keep checking in hopes i see one for the g6 for sure !

Absolutely man.

I can say for sure that the naturals series for slickwraps feels very real because well. it IS real. It's an actual sheet of wood (in my case mahogany) that has adhesive on one side of it.

This isn't just a decal or vinyl.

The blackened ash looks great on my brother's S8 too:

Capture2.jpg

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Very cool. I ordered a couple cases to try out when I first noticed my camera glass showing scratches as well. One of them was the VolksRose wood one that's on Amazon and it was backordered. In the meantime I learned that the camera glass is not actually being scratched, it has a soft coating that scratches easily and can be buffed off. So I really feel left off the hook of "needing" a case at all.

Despite preferring to go caseless, I put the wood one on to try it when it came, and I love the way it looks enough that I'm leaving it on. It's relatively huge, which I don't like, and I'm sure it would shatter if I ever dropped it onto a hard surface but it would probably absorb the force well enough to protect the phone. it just looks really good to me.

Had I known of the slickwraps naturals I would have gone straight for them, but I would have had a hard time choosing between leather or wood.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Very cool. I ordered a couple cases to try out when I first noticed my camera glass showing scratches as well. One of them was the VolksRose wood one that's on Amazon and it was backordered. In the meantime I learned that the camera glass is not actually being scratched, it has a soft coating that scratches easily and can be buffed off. So I really feel left off the hook of "needing" a case at all.

Despite preferring to go caseless, I put the wood one on to try it when it came, and I love the way it looks enough that I'm leaving it on. It's relatively huge, which I don't like, and I'm sure it would shatter if I ever dropped it onto a hard surface but it would probably absorb the force well enough to protect the phone. it just looks really good to me.

Had I known of the slickwraps naturals I would have gone straight for them, but I would have had a hard time choosing between leather or wood.

Yeah the camera glass itself is too high up on a mohs hardness scale to be scratched even by a razor blade, so it's pretty damn hard to get a scratch on there. You can see the material of something else rubbing off on it though, and as you mentioned it can buff out.

The issue for me was that the rest of the back glass isn't near as tough or scratch resistant.

I'd say if you're into wood feel but don't want a bulky case, the slickwraps naturals is your best bet, I personally love mine.

My brother says that it made his S8 actually one handable, and easy to hold. Also the back glass is so smudgy that the wood takes care of that too.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Its important for anyone ordering these that it is the natural series and not the wood series. The wood series is their regular vinyl. The natural series are real wood veneer or real leather skin.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the camera glass itself is too high up on a mohs hardness scale to be scratched even by a razor blade, so it's pretty damn hard to get a scratch on there. You can see the material of something else rubbing off on it though, and as you mentioned it can buff out.

The issue for me was that the rest of the back glass isn't near as tough or scratch resistant.

I'd say if you're into wood feel but don't want a bulky case, the slickwraps naturals is your best bet, I personally love mine.

My brother says that it made his S8 actually one handable, and easy to hold. Also the back glass is so smudgy that the wood takes care of that too.

I wonder if the leather has a better grip

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Now that this thread is well and truly hijacked...

Does it prevent use of the fingerprint sensor? Looks like it's covered.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Since the skins are a means to protect the G6 from scratches I think its not really badly hijacked but I defer to the the Mods to make that determination.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

As far as I know if you cover the fps sensor with anything except a thin clear plastic you lose the fps feature.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Since the skins are a means to protect the G6 from scratches I think its not really badly hijacked but I defer to the the Mods to make that determination.

I'll allow it. :)

It's all pertinent though... I don't like bulky cases either. I ended up getting a fairly low profile Nillkin Slim Shield case. It adds next to no bulk to the body, protects the rear glass and the front lip is just thick enough to raise up the front glass too. And it doesn't interfere with the tempered glass SP I have on there as well. the little bumpies on the back help it have a nice confident feel in hand too.

Shame that OEMs don't use materials like that for phone bodies on high end stuff anymore. Glass... ick... metal is better, but metal bodied phones are usually slick as all get up.

If you have a near all glass phone and you don't protect it, you are going to have to live with it being scratched up.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll allow it. :)

It's all pertinent though... I don't like bulky cases either. I ended up getting a fairly low profile Nillkin Slim Shield case. It adds next to no bulk to the body, protects the rear glass and the front lip is just thick enough to raise up the front glass too. And it doesn't interfere with the tempered glass SP I have on there as well. the little bumpies on the back help it have a nice confident feel in hand too.

Shame that OEMs don't use materials like that for phone bodies on high end stuff anymore. Glass... ick... metal is better, but metal bodied phones are usually slick as all get up.

If you have a near all glass phone and you don't protect it, you are going to have to live with it being scratched up.

The fact that it scratches so easily is just another dumb reason to make phones out of glass. Why would anyone want it except that there's little choice if that's the device you want. I guess they should make a non glass variant for those of us that would normally never buy a glass phone.