LG Optimus Slider

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) operating system

Hmm... Interesting...
If I didn't want the Black, I would consider it, a keyboard would be nice at times.

Now watch, by December, the OV and Intercept could be around $100-$130 (considering the price of the OV this weekend, that is easily possible), and Virgin will have a huge grip on the market. Things could be interesting by Christmas.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If I could sell my Optimus for $60-$80 on Craigslist I'd go for this no question, if it's at least as good as the V. I wish it had a flash though. :-/

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
From an article I found on engadget (full article here: Engadget)

The Enlighten will have: Android 2.3, an 800MHz CPU, a 3.2-inch HVGA display, a 3.2 megapixel shooter, 150MB of internal storage (with expandable memory using microSD), and a 1500mAh battery

The Enlighten is Verizon's name for the LG Optimus Slider (VM)/LG Gelato Q(Sprint). So if that's correct then it'll have the same hardware except a slightly faster CPU, slightly more storage and Gingerbread too boot! Now if I could see some reviews on it and see if it'd be just as easy to root I might trade my V in for it (did the buyback program at Best Buy)

Last edited:

autobotguy

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
According to one report, it looks like this phone supports wifi hotspotting as well. Woo hoo! Any word weather or not the CPU is ARM 7 or not? It would be fantastic if it was flash compatible.
This is exactly what a bunch of people wanted, an Optimus V with a slide-out keyboard. ^_^

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Remember the spec sheet you are looking at is for Verizon. I am sure the hotspot will disabled for the VM version. Still, a faster processor, slightly more memory, and hardware keyboard, my wife is already looking forward to it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
3.2in screen, and 800mhz ARM6 processor.
It is thicker than an Optimus, but only a bit (2mm thicker,1mm narrower).
Seems pretty nice really, if the Black wasn't coming, I would be all over this, as it is, it's tempting. Hotspot WILL be disabled, they learned their lesson on that, but expect it fixed a day after it's rooted.

I would expect the price to drop $20 by years end.
And expect CM7 on it in no time at all.

I wonder if the Intercept is done or just dropping in price.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
my guess is as good as anybody elses, but we know Qualcomm made a MSM7xxx series cpu which went into our OV and a LOT of mid/low end phones. I think that SoC has lived its useful life. this "800MHz cpu" they mention might be quallcomms updated SoC.

not sure on the details but I wouldnt doubt its the same cpu/gpu combo thats used in the Samsung Admire on Metropcs. they are in the same market at the same price point. I got to use that phone and its FAST for a "low end" phone.

just my 2 cents but i bet this "800MHz" cpu is another quality SoC based on a snapdragon chipset

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
my guess is as good as anybody elses, but we know Qualcomm made a MSM7xxx series cpu which went into our OV and a LOT of mid/low end phones. I think that SoC has lived its useful life. this "800MHz cpu" they mention might be quallcomms updated SoC.

It's a Qualcomm MSM7627T (32bit ARMv6)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
For the more professional devs / android users in the room, is this a worthy step up from the V for $200? A keyboard is pretty important but judging from how much I enjoy the V now, it's not an absolute dealbreaker (but almost.) I'm torn.

Will I really notice a difference with a 200mhz difference? I'm guessing I'll be able to hit 1ghz with an overclock but I don't want to count on that until I know for sure. Right now, my answer is "only if I can sell off the V to offset cost." but maybe I'm missing details, like would the official GB help speed / battery life and whatnot as opposed to a custom ROM based off unofficial drivers and such that I have now on the V?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
For the more professional devs / android users in the room, is this a worthy step up from the V for $200? A keyboard is pretty important but judging from how much I enjoy the V now, it's not an absolute dealbreaker (but almost.) I'm torn.

Will I really notice a difference with a 200mhz difference? I'm guessing I'll be able to hit 1ghz with an overclock but I don't want to count on that until I know for sure. Right now, my answer is "only if I can sell off the V to offset cost." but maybe I'm missing details, like would the official GB help speed / battery life and whatnot as opposed to a custom ROM based off unofficial drivers and such that I have now on the V?

With a custom rom, you can overclock yours to nearly 800, but get this, a custom rom at 650mhz will run as fast as a stock rom at 800 (custom roms make that much difference). The OV Slider will run slower than a modded OV at 800.

So...
The OV Slider can't do flash, so that's out You can get Gingerbread on the OV, so there is no benefit there. Root and rom it, and you will be faster. The only benefit is the keyboard and the fact that it will run faster than stock, and once you can overclock it, faster than overclocked OV's.

Is that worth $200?
If you play games, maybe. If you really could use a keyboard, probably. Otherwise, not really as you aren't gaining anything else.

On the other hand, if you have an older V like me and have no intention of getting a Triumph or Black and just want something new and fresh, it's not bad way to go. It's a new phone, a bit more current, and it has a keyboard. Mine has been beat to hell (still works great) so if the Black doesn't work out (size is a concern), I may change to the Slider just to get a fresh phone and something a little different.

Reactions: cole2kb

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I was really hoping that the rumored Optimus Slider was really going to be the Optimus Note, as some people speculated. Not so, obviously. A keyboard would be nice, and for those who don't want to deal with installing custom ROMs, a slightly faster CPU with stock Gingerbread sounds quite appealing.

Since I have no money to spend right now anyway, I will wait until VM has both the Black and the Slider available, then do a serious comparison of specs and the pros and cons - plus there will be plenty of time to read lots of reviews and to see what our trusty devs can do to improve both phones!

Holly

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Target will have it for $179 when it comes out, any release date yet besides "coming soon"?

uploadfromtaptalk131111.jpg

I'll probably get the slider for my wife. She already has the OV but is dying for a keyboard. Hopefully I'll be able to sell her OV for a decent price on eBay...

Last edited: