LG's reputation of Android OS updates?

sneekgeek

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. Apologies if there is a thread for this already. I've never considered an LG phone before, but the G2 looks amazing. I'm coming from an HTC Sensation and HTC Amaze 4G, and OS updates are pretty much non-existent and Sense UI is so buggy, so I'll never buy HTC again. I was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy S series since they've continued to update their past flagships pretty well. But LG now has thrown me for a loop with their G2 announcement.

Can anyone comment on how good LG is at updating their flagships with Android? Will they upgrade to 4.3 in a timely manner? If there's a chance it won't get at least 2-3 OS upgrades (preferably Android 5.0 at least), then the LG G2 is going to be a hard sell for me. I could see what awaits for the Nexus 5, but my phone is starting to fail and I'm getting that itch for a 1080P screen!

Thanks in advance! :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They have a decent reputation on their optimus line, prior to that not so much. They're a company that's really trying to be noticed as cutting edge and relevant, so I see them working hard on this, but you're also carrier dependent. I'd bet strongly on 4.3, moderate on 5.0 and I wouldn't be willing to bet on anything after that, at least until well after their newest phones at that time receive said updates.

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
If your phone is the 'current flagship' you may be in with a bit of luck, bare in mind though that the Optimus G came out October/November time and in that time has been replaced by the G Pro and now the G2 in less than a year....

The G2 is the only phone running 4.2.2 in their entire range and that's only because they're just releasing it, that may give you some indication how 'good they are' at updating them.

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me this is the year where all the companies under Samsung ate trying to step out up and I think they will be pushing for update roll outs! But to be honest it coming with 4.2.2 will keep me pretty damn happy for a long time, even with 4.3 out on Nexus devices.

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The hope should be they skip 4.3 as all OEM's really should at this point and focus their attention on 5.0 for next year. We know they will announce new phones at CES with KLP 5.0 in January and of course our current phones will be pushed back to mid year (3rd - 4th quarter on Motorola if you're lucky).

eptiger

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I see this as a positive. When the forced ICS update came for the Galaxy S2 on Sprint, it came with tons of problems. I'd rather have the same OS with minor updates versus a major release every few months and the risks that brings with it of instability.

Elton

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
what we really need is commitment that NONE of the OEM's or Carriers has every followed through on. They promised timely updates for 18 months and that was a bunch of BS and lip service. We got and will get NOTHING. What the OEM's and Carriers SHOULD be forced to do is patch the huge security vulnerability period. The fact that 99% of Android devices are at risk and most are still in use today (regardless the number of cheap Android devices in Asia vs US) its a huge problem.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually back in the days of the optimus s, sprint and lg supported it for about 2 1/2 years. The phone originally shipped with 2.2.1 was upgraded all the way to 2.3.7 with about 7 or 8 updates in between.

They even released a botched GB for it and offered to downgrade phones back to froyo for users. About 6 months after that debacle they rereleased GB and fixed the majority of the issues with it.

If there's a large enough user base lg will support the phone. As the optimus s wasn't even a flagship, it was midrange. But we had the largest user base on sprint at the time, even against the evo 4g. It remained up there for about two years after its release.

Sent from the stars...

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
what we really need is commitment that NONE of the OEM's or Carriers has every followed through on. They promised timely updates for 18 months and that was a bunch of BS and lip service. We got and will get NOTHING. What the OEM's and Carriers SHOULD be forced to do is patch the huge security vulnerability period. The fact that 99% of Android devices are at risk and most are still in use today (regardless the number of cheap Android devices in Asia vs US) its a huge problem.

You should point at that they are only at risk if they download apps from outside the play store. And also if they have "unknown sources" enabled.

As long as you only download from the play store, and don't have unknown sources enabled, the bug does not effect you. As the play store received a fix for it, almost immediately after the bug received its huge publicity surge.

Sent from the stars...

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
They aren't very good with updates. Even their flagship optimus G still does not have 4.2 yet.

Because they've replaced the flagship with 2 newer flagships (optimus g pro and g2 now)... That's their solution for software updates, churn out ANOTHER phone. That's why I dislike LG, that and they seem like a samsung copy =/

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You should point at that they are only at risk if they download apps from outside the play store. And also if they have "unknown sources" enabled.

As long as you only download from the play store, and don't have unknown sources enabled, the bug does not effect you. As the play store received a fix for it, almost immediately after the bug received its huge publicity surge.

Sent from the stars...

While that may be true, how many of us power users root, unlock the bootloader (where applicable) and definitely allow unknown sources. Has anyone ever considered that we are d/l and installing apps that someone we never met from another part of the world (or your next door neighbor) and installing it on our phones. It's funny how we will trust someone on a forum for a tweak or a mod, even install apps from foreign sites. Still the bottom line is this is a huge security hold that must be plugged at all cost.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Because they've replaced the flagship with 2 newer flagships (optimus g pro and g2 now)... That's their solution for software updates, churn out ANOTHER phone. That's why I dislike LG, that and they seem like a samsung copy =/

Sorry, but that is a poor excuse. The Optimus G Pro (it is called that) is not a replacement for the Optimus G, the LG G2 is the replacement. That is no excuse for LG not to roll out 4.2.2 on the original G. They may accept the attitude that it gets just 1 update and its done. If that is the case don't expect the G2 or Optimus G Pro to go beyond 4.3.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

the sad thing is only one of their "new flagships" has 4.2.2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
And that does not bode well given carrier involvement (blocking) in the US, don't expect to see much on the other Flagship devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt