Lightweight Low Capacity Power Bank for S21?

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Any recommendations for a lightweight, low capacity power bank that will charge an S21 reasonably fast?

I have an old 3200 mAh flashlight/power bank that weighs under 3 oz. It's perfect except that it charges the S21 slowly, around 700 ma.

Is there anything under 3 oz. that will charge faster?

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Anker and Mophie make some really good ones that won't break the bank. For example, they both sell one with 20K+ mAh for around $60. You can find them all over. Stay away from store brands (like Insignia) and you should be fine. I have a 10K mAh one from years ago (albeit USB A ports only) and charges using micro usb, but it will still charge my phone at least 2 times over fully. Made by Anker.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. But I'm looking for low capacity, low weight. When I'm out all day, if the battery gets low I want enough charge to keep using it until I get home, without any more weight than necessary. 5000 mAh is fine, 3200 mAh would probably do.

I bought this Charmast battery pack, 5000 mAh, 3.26 oz, and the specs say 5v, 9v and 12v output. It Fast Charges my S21 at the same speed as my Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger. It doesn't do Super Fast Charge.

The only problem is the design - hanging off the bottom of the phone via a built-in USB C plug. Looks cool, but stresses the plug and the phone socket. Marketing overruled engineering on that one. So I added a 6" USB C female to male cord, and now it connects flexibly like normal power banks. The combo is 3.70 oz, still pretty lightweight.

If anyone knows of a brick-shaped power bank that's the same or lower weight, I'd like to hear about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-17 205348.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-17 205348.png
    200 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2022-09-17 205348.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-17 205348.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 27

Roadijeff

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
We have a Morphie Power Boost that we bought several years ago. I don't know how fast it will charge my S21U because I haven't used it on that yet. My S21U usually gets 2+ days out of a single charge anyway.

The Morphie holds a charge for a really long time. I last charged it maybe 6 months ago and when I read this thread I went and got it to weigh and check the charge status. It shows that it is still fully charged and the weight is 4.8oz, not 0.5oz like it says in the product details in that link. It is shaped like a brick though.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Mophie lists a number of packs but I don't see anything fitting my requirements. The Mophie website doesn't give any specifications.

It was tough finding a pack. Almost none of them list complete specifications, and the weight shown is often either understated or the shipping weight.

I looked for models with 5200 mAh capacity or less that said they fast charged a recent Samsung Galaxy, or specified 9v and 12v output currents. Units with a specified output of only 5v were ruled out. If I saw something promising, I looked on Amazon for the Date First Available; models more than a couple of years old are unlikely to have the latest circuitry. Then I tried to validate the weight and fast charge in the reviews and questions.

If I were doing it again I'd google power bank "9v" "5200", also 5000 and 3500. I tried it and turned up this Motorola Turbo Power claiming 3.88 oz weight. It doesn't mention Samsungs, but if the Charmast doesn't work out I'll post questions on the Amazon page.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, sorry. All of the ones I looked at, which were also wireless to take the strain off of the USB-C power port, are about the same size as the phone and less thick than a deck of cards, but worst of all, don't meet your power requirements.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sorry. All of the ones I looked at, which were also wireless to take the strain off of the USB-C power port, are about the same size as the phone and less thick than a deck of cards, but worst of all, don't meet your power requirements.
They might meet someone else's requirements. How about a link or two?

I did see some of those, but don't you have to put something on the back of the phone for them to clip onto? And wouldn't wireless charging be less efficient, so less charge per ounce of weight?

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I would link them, but I searched the Best Buy site, and I work for them, so avoiding the conflict of interest on a forum so I don't get any flack internally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21