Linux: Which distro do you run and why?

SasinAndrey

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have some experience with a lot of distributions (suse, gentoo, ubuntu, kubuntu and etc.). But now I sometimes use only Tails (very interesting distro).

javi Garcia1

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Which distro do you run and why?

learned linux on centOS and started using backtrack before it got discontinued. now use kali and centos on old desktop.

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Which distro do you run and why?

I've been running Linux full time on my desktop since 2000. I started with Mandrake which became Mandriva. I moved over to PCLOS shortly after it came out in 2011 and have been using it ever since. (PCLOS is a fork of Mandriva which took off in its own direction).

I like the idea of a 'rolling release'. All the software packages are kept up to date just about on a daily basis. I also have two friends that run PCLOS and we provide support for each other if required.

(Registered Linux user #166905 -- Registered on 2000-02-21 02:52:05 -- https://linuxcounter.net/ )

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
@jwt873: Ahhh...that takes me back. I actually got my first exposure to Linux with RedHat when I built a mail server out of spare parts for the place I was working. I think it was a Pentium 60. At one point that thing ran without rebooting for over 2 years, until the CPU fan seized and toasted it.

Anyway, I had been using Win98SE and was sick to death of it. Win2000 Pro was a HUGE improvement, but XP was coming and clearly it was just Win2000 with crap added and I didn't want to fool with it. I still say Win2000 Pro is the best OS Microsoft has ever made. But back to Linux...

I was in a Best Buy, I can't remember why, and walking by the racks of boxed software. They had a little section of Linux, RedHat, Suse, a couple of boxes of Win4Lin - and Mandrake, the just-released v8.0. I remember standing there, first just because I was surprised to see Linux for sale. Right then I made the decision - this was it, I was gonna buy a box of Linux, go home and wipe Windows and go full Linux - no dual-booting, I was going all in. I'd messed with RedHat on that mail server and I thought I could make it work for daily use.

So I grabbed Mandrake and cashed out. Why Mandrake and not RedHat? Well, it was on sale for about half the price of RedHat and I wanted to try something else. And damn, the penguin on the box was cute.

I've run Linux exclusively on my home box ever since. Stayed with Mandrake for a few years, piddled around with various distros for a few more, settled on CentOS for 4-5, and for the last few years Fedora. Still on Fedora 20 now and probably won't update until 22 or 23.

But Linux really took hold of me that day when I stood there looking at the penguin on a Mandrake box and made a snap decision to take the little guy home.

Registered Linux user #266351

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

dennis_lum

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Been using linuxmint on laptop and pc for a few years, both using the mate edition, probably I like the low memory profile. With 17.2 going to release soon, I'll upgrade the laptop but keep the pc running on its current version.

rom1nux

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I use the famous unbeatable Debian.
Because it's the most stable distro ever, i can debootstrap a ligthweigth OS as quickly as drink a café !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital