Lock screen has turned orange/red

jarnie

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
While I was overseas and NOT using my Samsung J2 as a phone (flight mode turned ON) I noticed that the lock screen had turned an orange red color AND I was receiving an error message that my storage was severely LOW and to free up space. I removed unnecessary 'clutter' from BOTH the internal storage AND external (CD card) storage and the error went away HOWEVER the lock screen remains a red/orange color (instead of the default green color - I don't have a 'wallpaper'?) I have searched the internet and youtube and cannot find a reason.
Can anyone 'point' me in the correct 'direction' to fix this.
Thanks
[added later] Sorry I could not see a 'link' for replying to the reply received (have you tried rebooting). Yes I have rebooted. I have also done a 'reset network settings' and 'reset settings' as well as remove and reseat the SD card. I have considered a factory reset but realise I would need to setup everything again which I really don't want to.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any power-saving modes on? Some phones will turn the screen (or the border around the screen) red when ultra-power saving mode is turned on.

jarnie

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks I do remember changing some settings a few days ago when I found that the battery wasn't lasting as long as it used to and so have just checked settings>device management>battery>power saving mode and noticed that it was set to 'MID' which is hardly low energy usage however I then set it to OFF. The red/orange (lock) screen persists.

jarnie

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks. Yes the red lock screen exists in safe mode. I noticed many apps were 'greyed out'. I uninstalled many of the 'colored' ones which I don't use but the problem still exists. I rebooted and then uninstalled all apps I have recently installed yet the problem continues.
It's weird.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. Yes the red lock screen exists in safe mode. I noticed many apps were 'greyed out'. I uninstalled many of the 'colored' ones which I don't use but the problem still exists. I rebooted and then uninstalled all apps I have recently installed yet the problem continues.
It's weird.

So the red hue is only on the lock screen, correct?

jarnie

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
If you try to set a new wallpaper, does it ask if you want to use it for the lockscreen, too? If so, what happens if you do that?

That's it.
I changed the wallpaper and selected lockscreen and I now have a nice green lock screen like I used to have. I have no idea how it got set to the red/orange screen but apart from a gremlin or hack I guess I must have accidentally changed it. It all started at the same time as I started getting messages on the lock screen that I was running out of storage space and so assumed at first that it had changed color to warn me (as well as the text message). Coincidence sometimes can result in incorrect assumptions.
Thanks again.