Lock Screen Notifications

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a Google Pixel 8. I'm on Android 14.

I have "Show sensitive information on lock screen" enabled in order to view text messages. However, what is it supposed to look like? I'm attaching photos of when I get an SMS.

Two issues:

1. The giant text message preview disappears after a few seconds.
2. The SMS notification on the lock screen does not show a preview of the message that was received. This wasn't always the case on my Pixel 5 on Android 13.

I feel like I changed a setting that I wasn't supposed to. I used to have persistant app notifications on the lock screen with details instead of only showing the icon.

Is there a setting to allow a persistent SMS preview on the lock screen? I don't want to only see the icon.... This goes for other app notifications too. The lock screen only shows the icon and not the contents.

The last picture is what I want it to look like.

Last issue, I can't get rid of the "Charging this device via USB" notification. I'm using the same USB Type C cable I used with my Pixel 5. I can't dismiss it without it coming back up... I literally haven't damaged or changed the cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-131130.png
    Screenshot_20231025-131130.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20231025-131028.png
    Screenshot_20231025-131028.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 52
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Notifications>Notifications on lock screen. Is that set to the top one ("Show conversations, default, and silent")?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Go to Settings>Notifications>Notifications on lock screen. Is that set to the top one ("Show conversations, default, and silent")?
I actually already had that option checked.

What fixed it for me was I turned off "Skip lock screen" under "Face Unlock".

Do you know how to fix the USB charging notifications?

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you can get rid of the charging message -- you're talking about a message that appears at the bottom of the screen, rather than in the notificaton panel, right?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
No, it's a floating message that says Android System "Charging this device via USB." I'm not talking about the tiny white text at the bottom of the screen that says "Charging Rapidly".

Also,

Now whenever I get an email, the giant white pop up (on the lock screen) shows the email, but then then it disappears... And there's not even a tiny notification on my lock screen notifying me of an unread email. Do you know what caused this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Accessibility>Timing Controls, and make sure "Time to take action" is set to Default, rather than some long interval.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, on my Pixel 7 Pro running Android 14, this is what my lockscreen looks like when plugged into a USB charger:

Screenshot_20231025-171033.png

The charging message at the bottom can't be removed (it actually alternates between that and my lockscreen text, which is my name and office phone number, in case I lose the phone).

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, on my Pixel 7 Pro running Android 14, this is what my lockscreen looks like when plugged into a USB charger:

View attachment 357025

The charging message at the bottom can't be removed (it actually alternates between that and my lockscreen text, which is my name and office phone number, in case I lose the phone).
Screenshot_20231025-201435.png

My mistake. This is what it looks like. The lock screen doesn't show this notification. I'd like to figure out why I need a notification telling me my phone is charging that doesn't disappear on its own.

My emails still aren't appearing on the lock screen as a preview other than a small icon. I have to receive a few more emails to confirm this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Long-press that notification, then tap the gear icon associated with the notification, and show us a screenshot of the resulting menu. You can probably turn off that particular category of notification.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Long-press that notification, then tap the gear icon associated with the notification, and show us a screenshot of the resulting menu. You can probably turn off that particular category of notification.

I'm unable to modify this notification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-202448.png
    Screenshot_20231025-202448.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20231025-202500.png
    Screenshot_20231025-202500.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm stumped. Looking at my system settings, I also see that USB notification toggle that can't be turned off, but I also don't get the notification when I'm plugged into a USB wall charger.🤷‍♂️

You're not on the Android beta, are you?

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, I'm stumped. Looking at my system settings, I also see that USB notification toggle that can't be turned off, but I also don't get the notification when I'm plugged into a USB wall charger.🤷‍♂️

You're not on the Android beta, are you?
I'm using a USB C to C charger. I'm plugging it into my laptop. However, my Pixel is on charge only, no data.

I haven't tried plugging this into a wall to see if the notification comes up.

I don't believe I'm on Beta. How would I check? I just got Android 14 a few days ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that might be why the notification is there -- it's a persistent notification to let the user know how the USB connection to a computer is being used. I guess the engineers felt that was important enough not to allow it to be dismissed or turned off. You can send feedback to Google about it, but I doubt it'd be enough to change their minds.

You'd know if you were in Beta, because you have to jump through some hoops: https://www.google.com/android/beta

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Oh, that might be why the notification is there -- it's a persistent notification to let the user know how the USB connection to a computer is being used. I guess the engineers felt that was important enough not to allow it to be dismissed or turned off. You can send feedback to Google about it, but I doubt it'd be enough to change their minds.

You'd know if you were in Beta, because you have to jump through some hoops: https://www.google.com/android/beta

I'll give the wall charger a try tomorrow.

This never happened with my Pixel 5... I didn't get these messages when I plugged it into the USB-C on my laptop.

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I plugged my phone into the wall. No charging message yet. That's at least good.

Do you know if notifications on the lock screen are supposed to show the little app icon after the pop-up floating notification disappears? I swear I thought all the apps would be the persistent traditional rectangular notification on the lock when they haven't been manually cleared. My apps are showing a little notification icon on the lock screen.

Attaching a photo to show you what I see after a notification comes in on my phone.

I'm still trying to figure out why my mail isn't showing the persistent notification on the lock screen.

It's a little weird that when my phone wakes up, all I see is the icon and not the preview. I'd like to see the preview.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026-063956.png
    Screenshot_20231026-063956.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a little hard for me to test right now, because I currently can't get someone to send me a text.

Just to be sure -- go to Settings>Security>More Security & Privacy>Notifications on Lock Screen. Is that set to "Show all notification content" or "Show sensitive content only when unlocked"? If the latter, that might explain your situation, since the lockscreen is showing that your phone is locked (since you see the fingerprint there).

marker227

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It's a little hard for me to test right now, because I currently can't get someone to send me a text.

Just to be sure -- go to Settings>Security>More Security & Privacy>Notifications on Lock Screen. Is that set to "Show all notification content" or "Show sensitive content only when unlocked"? If the latter, that might explain your situation, since the lockscreen is showing that your phone is locked (since you see the fingerprint there).
It's set to "Show all notification content".