Lollipop improvements are here!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just as I had got used to the, "Fully Charged", notification that popped up on screen with Lollipop... its been removed in the latest OCF build, dated 15th March. This release has the highest changelist number to-date for Lollipop, (Samsung do not publish actual changelogs), and apart from the charging notification, I've also noticed that Wi-Fi is connecting immediately on boot, no delay at all. Also, Bluetooth is a lot quicker on connection since the OC2 build, 11th March. It's too early to say about battery life on the OCF build as I only flashed it 2 hours ago but on OC2 , over the last few days, it has been even better than before. It may just be me but the colour scheme on these last two releases, seems more vibrant and not quite so pastel, washed out, as in the early, older, releases. The screen on Adaptive, automatic, brightness, also seems slightly less dull than before. With the restored Mute toggle and screen pinning, both added in the OB7, 13th Feb; release, it looks as though Samsung have been paying attention to users after all. :)

I predict that we will see releases and bugfix updates for Lollipop on the international models resume in earnest, based on these latest builds.

If I notice any further improvements, I will post them here.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Do we have to wait for OTA or can we download this new build/patch from Kies?

Depends which of the 40 Galaxy S5 models you are on and which CSC code. Both releases are for the worldwide, International, model, SM-G900F and they are for Singapore unbranded and Germany on Vodafone. Both, as with all Samsung releases, have an English language pack. You can download and flash them via Odin as I have done. This will, of course, void your warranty and prevent future updates via Kies or OTA until you revert back to your original firmware.

Singapore OC2 http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/44121/G900FDXU1BOC2_G900FOLB1BOC1_XSP/

Germany Vodafone OCF http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/44351/G900FXXU1POCF_G900FVFV1POCG_VD2/

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am SM G900V, short of root or Odin flash it sounds like I'll have to wait for OTA.

Since Verizon firmware is nothing to do with Samsung, see #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, you might have to wait a long time for that. Whilst Samsung can issue bugfix updates in as little as 6 days, it takes Verizon 8+ weeks to add all their bloatware and modifications to any stock Samsung Lollipop firmware. Lets face it, its been 7 weeks since they issued that god awful version of Lollipop and they still haven't fixed it. Meanwhile, some of the International versions have received 2 bugfix updates in that time.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The unbranded United Kingdom model G900F, CSC code OXA, gets its third Lollipop update to build number OC7, 16th MAR; with the highest changelist so far for any Samsung stock firmware. For more info on CSC codes, builds, models and what they mean, see 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
After 5 days on the latest release from Samsung for the international unbranded UK model, G900F, I have to say that, IMHO, Samsung have cracked it! After 3 updates in only 9 weeks, they have produced an excellent, lag free, firmware. The changelist, #4469118, says it all. Those who have this release have been praising it by-and-large. Whilst Samsung do not release actual changelogs it will be noticed that the firmware is more polished and slick with any sign of lag, gone. They have also updated both the kernel and the modem and Wi-Fi is now instant rather than a delay. Most noticeable is the lack of battery drain that was a feature in some earlier releases and was attributed to memory leak. Samsung have already begun to push this release out to unbranded and lightly branded international versions and I predict that this will be the firmware that they will base future releases on and we should soon see a stepping up of their roll out to the international phones. As for the medium, heavy and hybrid minority carrier variant phones, this will be down to the carriers to decide.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have this update and I do not get any messages about contacts has stopped anymore. Battery life seems impressive.

Seems that they rushed out the release of Lollipop and now they have fixed it.

Posted via the Android Central App

kittenfuud

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh I'm so jealous! On Tmobile here in the States, no updates OTA or otherwise for non-rooted phones. Sigh...Glad to hear it will improve battery life though.

Posted via my SGS5 from the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Oh I'm so jealous! On Tmobile here in the States, no updates OTA or otherwise for non-rooted phones. Sigh...Glad to hear it will improve battery life though.

Posted via my SGS5 from the Android Central App

If it makes you feel any better kittenfuud, T-Mobile U.S.A. has the best record for firmware updates of all the U.S. carriers. Since launch, less than a year ago, they have had 9 updates, 8 on Android 4.4.2 and 1 on 5.0. They wisely chose to not waste their time and effort, as did Samsung on the international models, with the ill fated and short lived Android 4.4.4 release.

Compare this to, say, Verizon who heavily modify and release their own versions of Samsung's firmware and have had 6 firmware updates since release, 2 on Android 4.4.2, 3 on 4.4.4 and 1 on 5.0.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac