Lollipop Tablet UI is a huge step BACKWARDS

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
OK, now that everyone has been soooooo impatient to get Android 5.0, let the complaints begin for Lollipop on the Nexus 10.

What ere they thinking when they combined the settings and notifications in to a single pulldown in the center? Did they even TRY this before forcing it on us? We have a 10" wide tablet and a 8.5" wide display... what was wrong with the way it was before?

Oh, and:

How is this recently used animated thing better than what we had before? Now it is a small section of the center of the screen and we have to scroll and scroll and scroll to see what was running and select something while the rest of the screen is completely wasted. It is at least 4 times slower, on average than what I had before.

--- Edited to remove one complaint that is probably not valid now and commented about it, below

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and another thing...

Are we supposed to just intuitively understand how the lock screen works? Because I don't "get it". I just want to unlock the damn thing. I don't want to look at notifications or get dumped in the camera. After a dozen failed attempts, it looks like the ONLY way I can correctly unlock it is by swiping up??

And of course there are no options or settings to control this.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I think its a huge step forward. I feel like I'm using a quad core device now with the performance increase. My device was working well before but now its even better. I'm sorry to hear your having trouble with your tablet.

I really like the update and have no complaints so far. The unlocking is very easy. All I got is swipe near the bottom and it unlocks every time.

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did a factory reset and the tablet feels faster than ever. I love the single notification pull down. No more side to side pulling down twice. Its all in one spot physically and clicking the toggles instead of long press is so much better. It just feels updated and refreshed design wise.

Posted via the Android Central App

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Did a factory reset and the tablet feels faster than ever. I love the single notification pull down. No more side to side pulling down twice. Its all in one spot physically and clicking the toggles instead of long press is so much better. It just feels updated and refreshed design wise.

That how I feel also.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
By factory reset, are y'all meaning a complete wipe/start fresh?
Guess that might be necessary but it would be a pain just for a new update.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think its a huge step forward. I feel like I'm using a quad core device now with the performance increase. My device was working well before but now its even better.

My N10 was always fast and performed well before the update (except once about a year ago, and a cache partition wipe fixed it). After the update, it is actually a bit slower.

I'm sorry to hear your having trouble with your tablet.

I guess some of it I will just get used to. Not like I have too much choice :(

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm fine with the notification pull down being in the middle of the screen, what I don't like is the fact that it is so narrow. I'm sure it looks fine on the 7 inch tablet but it us scaled too small fit the Nexus 10.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My N10 was always fast and performed well before the update (except once about a year ago, and a cache partition wipe fixed it). After the update, it is actually a bit slower.

I guess some of it I will just get used to. Not like I have too much choice :(

Same here. I have never felt that my 10 was slower at anytime. It "feels" just as fast as it did before.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My only complaint is that it feels like this update for the Nexus 10 is more of an after thought than the Kit Kat update. You see it here and there while using it. You just feel the things should be bigger or wider and that the screen is not being used effectively. I miss the settings being split to a more landscape friendly setup with the dual pane instead of the single pane we got last time and carries on to this update. The notification pull down is the biggest visual gripe. I miss the dual pull down because when using the tablet in landscape it made sense. Single pull down in portrait is fine it it was larger and wider. It somehow seems to by scaled too small...

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The attachment did not go through before but here is an example of what I mean by it not looking right.

Its not even centered in the screen. All that space to the right just seems like a total lack of attention to detail. This is version 5 of the OS and I think it looks sloppy.

Attachments

• 1175.jpg
    1175.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 72

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
What were they thinking when they decided to keep the bottom black bar on the screen 100% of the time? It never goes away/hides now.... not on the home screen, not in menus, not in the browser, not in games. It is a swath of totally wasted space now for three icons that are rarely needed and could easily be hidden like they used to be. I now have a permanently smaller screen..

OK, I think I jumped the gun on the above. Further testing shows it is not all the time in all apps. I think perhaps the API has changed, since some programs *are* still able to hide the bottom bar. Just some that I remember having hid the bar are not doing it now. "My bad"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky