Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

With Apple I expect there to be iOS issues until there have been a couple updates. And as in change from the 6 to 6S changes and improvements.

With iOS 10 just around the corner, and the 7/7 Plus at the same time, for all the public beta, they've got a perfect storm headed in. But that's a chance you take.

And Android N ready to drop soon too for the Note. I would assume it has better support for the Note's hardware. But you have to return it in the 14 day time frame, too.

Anna320

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

My note 7 was send back after week of using it. I love the idea and freedom that android give u but I was keep going back to my 6+. It's jail broken now so drops all stuff u can do on note other then s pen. I miss note a lil. It's such a pretty phone but overheating and battery life just sucked. Maybe will try new nexus or V20

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

My only problem now is that I forgot I have an Apple Watch. My 6S Plus is long gone. Maybe I'll sell it for a Gear or something. 😁

Mimi1978

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
ok guys, i have a galaxy S6 but i feel that iphone 6 is calling me..lol. i tried to trade but all I am getting is offers from Iphone 5S users...smhhhh. seems too low for me. i miss facetime, imessage and the device seems hot when charging. smhhh!

kssooner

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The biggest reason I switched is that I was just bored with the iPhone. Nothing in the upcoming 7 really excited me but the Note 7 did. I've run both Android and iOS but have been primarily on iOS since I have a Mac at home. Both have their plus and minuses and I enjoy both systems. For the simplicity and fluidity of iOS you get a boring (imo) experience that works. With Android, you get a ton of customization but it may take a while to figure out the best set up for you. Apps in general are better on iOS and on some of the apps I use I miss being able to use my fingerprint to login. But the edge panel helps me out on that issue for quick access to 1password when needed.

For me, it's been a lot of fun trying to get the Note 7 to my liking and I've spent a lot of time this last week on it. While some may not like the amount of time it can take with Android to get the phone how you want, the beauty is you have the option to change it if it doesn't work or you get bored with it. I've downloaded and uninstalled several email and text apps and launchers to figure out which ones I like. So far I've settled on Gmail to run all my emails, Verizon's Messages+ for texting and Nova Prime for my launcher.

After a week with the Note 7, I love the phone, it blows my 6 plus out of the water. I'm getting better battery life out the Note 7. The screen is on a different level, it feels better in the hand, it looks better and I love the wireless/wired fast charging, the water resistance, the S Pen and the Iris Scanner. For me, it feels faster than the 6 plus and I feel like I can be more productive with it than the 6 plus.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

iMessage is also available on the Mac, so you can read your messages on your computer, as well as on iPhone and iPad. That's one thing I'll miss.

I found out myself just the other day that if you are on Verizon, their Message+ app works on and iPad and in a browser.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
ok guys, i have a galaxy S6 but i feel that iphone 6 is calling me..lol. i tried to trade but all I am getting is offers from Iphone 5S users...smhhhh. seems too low for me. i miss facetime, imessage and the device seems hot when charging. smhhh!

You may need to trade and offer several money. I don't know anything about iPhone prices.

When I sold my Note 4, someone contacted me that had a Nexus 5. I took the Nexus 5 and some cash for the Note 4 because I was interested in a pure Android device.

Last edited:

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Like you, I was a long time iPhone user. June 29, 2007 was my first iPhone. Since then iPhone has been my go to device and like yoh to give tried for short durations every phone known to man. You name it, I've had it. Early this year my bordum with iOS started. That's when I grabbed a Priv with Marshmellow installed on it. I really began to enjoy android a lot. I think that experience with Marshmellow helped me make the switch to the Note 7. After a week with this Note 7, there continues to be nothing from iOS that I miss. I was probably done comparing OS's in the middle of my Priv experience as that experience was good. I really love the android customization, iOS has become old and too much of the same. 3 of my friends just picked up the Note 7 for themselves this week. Two were iPhone users. I've heard nothing but good things from their experiences. Nothing on the market compares to the Note 7. The power and features are amazing.

Best of luck in your decision. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

John
Having been a long time iPhone user, I am nonetheless interested in the Note 7 simply because, no matter how polished & reliable it is...iOS has become a bit stale and in need of a makeover, and it looks like Samsung has finally upped their game as far as hardware and design is concerned.

That said, I've "tried" the Verizon versions of the BlackBerry Priv, Samsung Note 5 & the Galaxy S6...to see if I was the right "fit" for Android. I came away feeling that Android was more than a bit "busy" and less intuitive than I have found iOS to be overall, or maybe that I was just not enough of t techie to maneuver my way through it. Still I'm curious. And I'm willing to give Android another try...and maybe allow it more time than I have previously, with the Note 7.

I would really love to hear from some people who have been long-time iOS users like me, and who have passed the honeymoon stage with the Note 7...and will honestly say what is great, mediocre, and what is poor on this phone vs. the iPhone they were using for ages before.

Please...no iPhone haters, or comments about iSheep and the like. I really want some non-fanboy new Android conversions to speak candidly to help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance!

anon(62000)

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

My only problem now is that I forgot I have an Apple Watch. My 6S Plus is long gone. Maybe I'll sell it for a Gear or something. 😁

My wife still has a 6s Plus, so I gave her the Watch. I'm going to hold out until I see what the Gear S3 is like before deciding on which wearable to pick up.

eckono38

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I think both Phones have their advantages and do certain things better than the other, but when it comes to overall performance my iPhone 6s Plus outperforms my Note 7 hands down. Those who have never owned an iPhone will never understand. Not knocking my Note 7. It's a great device but it's on my second line for a reason.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had to use an iPhone a couple of times.. I don't know if it is because i started on Android, but iphones make me want to pull my hair out. I just can't do everything I do with my android.

Jean Sagarese

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Love it, jumped from a iPhone 6 Plus and I am not looking back - easiest phone I have had paired to my Prius - I deleted all of the previous phones and it paired very easy both with my entertainment console in the car and with my Garmin. Still figuring out the S-Pen but after watching Flossy Carter's video I see all if can do

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm an iPhone user too. Like others have said, I use whichever platform suits my needs and before Apple brought out larger screen devices, I had a series of Android devices to fill that need of mine. I had a Note 3 and it was godawful. I admit I may well have had a "Friday afternoon phone" but the replacement was even worse, so I gave up on Samsung and bought an HTC One M7 which currently resides back home in another country whilst I am in the USA for three years on work, and that phone was bullet proof. Admittedly my much older Galaxy S2 was pretty bullet proof too. All my iPhones have been bullet proof as well.

My current phone contract is due to expire in about two weeks and I am somewhat bored by Apple right now. I use the headphone jack on my iPhone daily to play music in my car (3.5mm headphone jack to Aux socket on my car stereo) and if the iPhone 7 really doesn't have a headphone jack, the iPhones going forward will no longer fit my needs and I will either keep my current two year old iPhone 6 until it dies (not a chance, I like the latest and greatest), or I will make a move back to Android. I'm not tied into the Apple ecosystem as my old iPad 2 has now died and my 2010 Macbook is also going the same way and I use a PC back in my home country anyway.

I admit to being a bit put off by the easily scratched screen on the Note 7 but realise that a decent screen protector will obviate that fear. If I can find a good tough case and screen protector combo that will fit the Note 7 together without issue, and not add too much bulk to the device, I may make the move back to Android sooner than I thought.

I'm going to watch this thread with a lot of interest and thanks to everyone who has posted helpful information so far, without recourse to 'platform-bashing.'

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have never owned an iPhone, but I did have an iPad 3 and so was exposed to iOS that way. I must be an exception, because after about 6 months that tablet just got extremely quirky. When on a webpage, it would freeze and no amount of coaxing would get it to scroll. I tried everything iOS would let me do to fix it, like clearing cache (called something different in iOS if I remember correctly?) and deleting apps so that my memory did not get too full and slow it down and restart, restart, restart. I found that I just know how to fix an Android device if I start having any issues with it - iOS I didn't know how to fix. I have had various annoyances with Android through the years, but nothing as annoying as that iPad 3! Maybe I was just unlucky, but I sold it and got a (much maligned) Nexus 9 tablet and have used it joyfully ever since. Any issues with it have been small indeed and easily corrected. It has served me well now for 2 years.

Maybe it's just that I understand Android? Maybe also the fact that I can customize the wha-zoo out of it too? I admit that I am tempted every couple of years to try an iPhone because they are just so pretty on the outside, but I think about that iPad and come back to reality. Even if I hadn't had any issues with it, I was also bored with it.

This is just my experience iOS of course and it is extremely limited! I trust the judgment of those who are long-time iPhone users that they have a smooth, reliable experience. I think it is a good thing that we have a choice, really! It shouldn't be just one or the other and thankfully it's not.

I also had a Windows phone a number of years ago (Windows 8 device) and I loved it! It was a fun experiment into something completely different and it ran flawlessly. I just missed some advantages of Android and went back, but I've always thought fondly of that little HTC 8X Windows phone...

Nice discussion all! Very helpful.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Its nearly impossible to take someone else's opinion for what would work for you, SIMPLY due to the fact that UNTIL a phone we get DOESN'T have a feature we had in another phone we gave up, we tend to not have realized HOW MUCH we relied and can't live without that feature (s)....you may THINK you've covered all the basics, but its those "little niggles" that will truly drive ya nutz! I'm sure there are tons of my "fellow mental patients" in here will agree w/ me on that one : )

Also, another thing, and i've said it before, Android is a, "see how the sausage is made" kinda phone, while iPhone is a, "just bring me the sausage" kinda phone.

At first, you might be the latter and be like, "WOW! I never knew sausage (Android) is sooooooo interesting to see all that goes into it & what all "different dishes" i can make with it, but after awhile you might be like, "experimenting with all that sausage is too time consuming & frustrating... Just bring me my dang sausage (iPhone) and let me get back to my life..." lol

Trying out a whole 'nother operating system for, "just a couple of days" is really NOT giving it a chance, the average user is just met with too many confusing settings in the initial set up to truly tell if the phone will work for them long term. Most often they wind up, "far too frustrated" for the device's strengths and finer points to shine through....

So really, the only way to truly tell is to get one and use the heck out of it night and day for 13 days & 23 hours and then park yourself on your phone store's lawn for when they open in that 24th hour if u decide you just can't deal w/ making the switch... lol

BTC

Infamousx14

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I used iPhone for 7 years, only complain I have is not having the ability to swipe between screens back and forth. i think i may have a faulty battery since I only get 3 hours of screen time but regardless, I will never go back to IOS again.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
For those who are concerned with speed, the Note 7 isn't the fastest Android phone. Phones like the OnePlus 3 are faster any of the Samsung phones. The Note 7 just has the best overall package.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I used iPhone for 7 years, only complain I have is not having the ability to swipe between screens back and forth. i think i may have a faulty battery since I only get 3 hours of screen time but regardless, I will never go back to IOS again.

I noticed something funny using my Note 7 that I never did with any of my other Android phones. By default I try to use the swipe to go back and forth and try to use the home button shortcuts that iOS uses. I believe it's just muscle memory because the Note 7 has a home button. None of my other Android phones have had home buttons. It's taking me a while not to double press the home to get to multitasking or swipe to go back.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user off and on for years but have been using a 6s Plus solely since December. I love the fluidity and stability. But...... I'm so very incredibly bored with it. And I'm on the iOS 10 beta. It really gives me nothing new compared to iOS 9. It feels like the same thing with raise to wake and bigger notifications. Oh, and Snapchat iMessage. I'm about 99% sure I'm jumping back to Android, but I just don't know if I want a Note, wait for the new Nexus devices, or get an HTC 10. I feel like I was more productive with Android. I could write myself little notes and plaster them all over my home screens. Little reminders that I didn't have to hunt for. On iOS I have to use a task app or Reminders that I have to open up or set a specific time to remind me. There are other examples, but I just feel like the overall customization that I can make my phone work for me is really enticing. And is worth a fraction of a second's worth of lag.

Havikc

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user since iPhone launched and this is my first Android device. I am glad to say that I do not regret my choice.

I love the phone but there are definitely things I do miss about the iPhone.

First the things I love:
1. The design is better than the iPhone 6 (my last iPhone)

2. The screen is much better. It's brighter and more clear. I once bought into the retina being the max clarity until I saw this screen.

3. Low light camera performance is superb and far better than the iPhone

4. I used to scoff at the stylus until off screen memos became almost a daily routine when I switched over.

The cons:
1. There definitely is a lag when doing certain things. It comes and goes with a restart. It's a darn shame that it had to happen when I was excited to show off the off screen memo and the delay happened when trying to show off the feature. I did restart and it did go away. Probably the more disappointing thing is that when looking for a solution here in the forum, there are users who outright deny that it exists and accuse of fabricating the story to disparage the device.

2. IMessage: sure you can turn off before you switch but existing group chats that are all apple users? I Goodluck. You will need them to delete you and start a new group chat because it'll still try send you IMessages.

3. I miss easily accessing universal search. I don't want to have the search bar in the middle of my home screen. When using the ios I pull down the search and just launch the app from typing a few letters into the search bar. The closest stock thing that can do that is two finger drop for search on Android. It will then open up another window for the search results.

All in all, the form factor and the features sold me. I like the customization of the os but do not like the drawback. I wanted the wireless charging and waterproof forever on iPhones and when rumors of the next generation was not going to have it I switched.

Like I said. No regrets. By the way since I'm here, does anyone know why after using "OK google" the your recent open apps dissappear?