Looking for a new device, need advice

desporterizer

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
First post here as I more of a BlackBerry kind of guy till now. Below is a question I posted on crackberry but the responses seem kind of biased towards BB so I figured I would ask here to get a more balanced response.

The time has come where I can't justify hunting down yet another hard to find otterbox for my increasingly less useful z30. Durable case availability is very important as I am a mechanic that uses his phone for work and this just destroys cases. Naked my phone would last a week, if that. I have an upgrade due at wind so my choices are :

Dtek 50. Looks decent and retains some blackberry functionality but has very poor heavy duty case selection.

Moro 4g plus 2 gig ram model. Better case selection but still not great. Better battery life's than the dtek and a fingerprint scanner i doubt would work with super greasy fingers.

lg G4 . Last years flagship with a large case selection for now. Generally better specs that the other two but i don't know how much difference that would make for me cause I don't game.

What would be your pick out of the three? Thanks in advance for any input.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for not picking any of the three choices. I just read an article saying the Priv is going for $299 on eBay. If you want to stick with BB then you should choose that.

desporterizer

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for not picking any of the three choices. I just read an article saying the Priv is going for $299 on eBay. If you want to stick with BB then you should choose that.

Would if i could but my phones need to be armored to survive my usage. I cant find any armored case for the priv. BTW, $299 turns to $475 cnd delivered if I don"t get hit with a brokerage fee.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I would probably wait and see what the new Nexus phones have in store. I think the current 6P is a good device, but too large for my tastes. I think the 5x is under powered. Supposedly the New Nexus 5 inch isn't supposed to be hamstrung like the 5x is.

I hope Google leaves the headphone jack. I HATE bluetooth only.

I think the new Galaxy phones are TOP NOTCH. Expensive yes, but top notch....

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
First post here as I more of a BlackBerry kind of guy till now. Below is a question I posted on crackberry but the responses seem kind of biased towards BB so I figured I would ask here to get a more balanced response.

The time has come where I can't justify hunting down yet another hard to find otterbox for my increasingly less useful z30. Durable case availability is very important as I am a mechanic that uses his phone for work and this just destroys cases. Naked my phone would last a week, if that. I have an upgrade due at wind so my choices are :

Dtek 50. Looks decent and retains some blackberry functionality but has very poor heavy duty case selection.

Moro 4g plus 2 gig ram model. Better case selection but still not great. Better battery life's than the dtek and a fingerprint scanner i doubt would work with super greasy fingers.

lg G4 . Last years flagship with a large case selection for now. Generally better specs that the other two but i don't know how much difference that would make for me cause I don't game.

Welcome to Android Central!

As a former BlackBerry owner and also a CrackBerry enthusiast (I think my title is a "CrackBerry Addict"), I definitely understand you wanting to stick with BlackBerry or something similar for your next upgrade.

Personally, I like the sound of the DTEK50. But I get what you're saying about battery and case selection.

If I had to choose out of the devices you mentioned, I'd probably go with the G4. I currently have the G3, so I trust LG and they do have a good assortment of cases. Also, Caseology (online store that rocks cases!) has a good selection of cases for the G4.

Watch some unboxing videos, drop tests, and see what's available for cases and screen protectors before you make your final decision. How was the Z30, by the way? I had the Q10 and really miss it, but also wanted to try the Z series out at some point.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I used a BB from 2001 until just under four years ago (and reached "CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses" status FWIW). I moved to the Note 2. Rather than go with any of the three choices you mention, I would recommend going with the Note 7 or S7. You seem concerned about accessories, and you'll find no lack of them for either phone, and then some. Plus either one is generally considered the top of the heap. You can't go wrong.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I used a BB from 2001 until just under four years ago (and reached "CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses" status FWIW). I moved to the Note 2. Rather than go with any of the three choices you mention, I would recommend going with the Note 7 or S7. You seem concerned about accessories, and you'll find no lack of them for either phone, and then some. Plus either one is generally considered the top of the heap. You can't go wrong.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses! That's amazing! Congratulations! :)

TechReviews1

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi, so, I wouldn't choose any of these devices. If you are looking in that price range, I would definetely go for a Samsung Galaxy S6. First thing to say, if you look at LG G4 reviews on the Internet, you will see that everyone that owned this phone has had a bootloop problem. This is when the phone overheats and starts up but shuts off immediately. It keeps starting and shutting off over and over. This is because the phone was not made right and the phone overhears as soon as it turns on. So I would most definitely not go for this phone. The Moto G4 Plus and DTEK50 are low-end phones. Not something I would personally go for. I think, for your budget, go for a Samsung Galaxy S6. If you have more of a budget, I would most definetely go for a Samsung Galaxy S7. A lot of internal improvements. That's just my opinion. Hope this helps!

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow, the Moto Z Play sure looks intriguing. If one doesn't mind the Verizon bloatware which is easy to disable. I really like the specs! And the price! And it has a headphone jack, fingerprint reader, and great battery.

At some point I believe Moto is going to unleash unlocked versions of these phones for GSM folks.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/31/motorola-moto-z-play-headphone-jack/

I think the Qualcomm 820 and all their 800 chips are overrated. It's been my experience that all they do is suck massive amounts of battery and overheat when all one is doing is surfing the web. I'm not a gamer....

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I demand AC give me that title here.
I'm the only one that merits it.
(B. Diddy would but he's not from this Galaxy.)
Surprised I didn't think of it myself!

I would get the standard Moto G4 over the Plus and save quite a bit, if 16/2gb is enough. No FPS, lesser but good camera and no turbo charger in the box, is all.

In fact, for the money, you would worry less about dropping it. Plenty of cases, some flip cases, and tempered glass available online.

Moto X Pure over a LG G4 as it will update longer, shake for torch, gyrate (the phone) for camera. Getting cheaper.
I'm a Samsung fan, but been stuck with two Motorola's (G1, X Pure) since last year and don't want to spend big money on a Note 7 after dropping the X Pure.

A lot of other choices out there, except you may be tied to what Wind can offer on contract, so idk.

Yes, the titles should carry over. ;) I can be a CrackBerry Addict as well as an Android Addict! I've got the phones and dead batteries from over-use/years of use to prove it. :p

BBUniq01

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Have you considered the Samsung J7? My neighbor has it and likes it better than his S7. And there are heavy duty cases for the J7 on Amazon. The phone is under $300.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
From the selection you gave. I would go with the LG G4. Looks like the best option all round. :)

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I would probably wait and see what the new Nexus phones have in store. I think the current 6P is a good device, but too large for my tastes. I think the 5x is under powered. Supposedly the New Nexus 5 inch isn't supposed to be hamstrung like the 5x is.

I hope Google leaves the headphone jack. I HATE bluetooth only.

I think the new Galaxy phones are TOP NOTCH. Expensive yes, but top notch....

I have to agree with pbike908 here. The Google Nexus devices are top tier choices. I don't think you would be disappointed with those devices. The best part of getting a Nexus device is having an experience of Android that is not messed with by the OEM or the carriers.

desporterizer

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Watch some unboxing videos, drop tests, and see what's available for cases and screen protectors before you make your final decision. How was the Z30, by the way? I had the Q10 and really miss it, but also wanted to try the Z series out at some point.

The z30 was and is a great phone esp if you enjoy good battery life. Unfortunately, Blackberry has pretty much abandoned BB10 so the software is getting glitchy. Too bad too as there are so many good features built into the OS.

I ended up trying the dtek and for its price point I thought it exceeded my expectations by a great margin. It did however have a critical flaw for my usage, a low notification sound. I work in a noisy environment & the notifications need to be LOUD. I returned it & got the g4 for $150. I tend not to do things that overheat the processor so I don't think the bootloop will strike here. I managed to get an original xbox360 to go 8 years when others were replacing them every year.