Looking for a new mid-range Android phone.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Samsung Galaxy A41 for almost a year and a half now.

It's a decent mid-ranger for my needs, but it's missing that "smoothness" and snappiness of opening apps. I am basically looking for something with a faster processor. No other needs, except that the display has to be 1080p and not 720p and it has to be Android.

Can someone possibly recommend me a good mid-ranger up until around £400/$520 that fits the above?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy A53 5G sounds really good for a reasonable price. I don't know what it sells for in the UK, but at Best Buy it's currently $450.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm in similar situation looking for a mid-ranger. There are not many option where I live, unless I import a phone, so I'm leaning to the Galaxy A52s 5G or the S21/S20 FE (Snapdragon). If I lived in the States I would probably go for the Pixel 5a or a good deal for the OP 8T, as Mustang said. It all depends on your preferences and availability.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too would recommend the S20 FE, or even the Google Pixel 5. I wouldn't call it a mid-range phone though -- maybe upper-mid-range. But it's very snappy and I think the processor is better than what you currently have.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens!

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

I might wait a few more weeks or months so I can save some more and get the A53 5G. Would you say it's better than the A52s 5G? The A53 is newer and only £30 more expensive, but the A52s 5G has a headphone jack AND a charger in the box.

What about Chinese phones, such as Xiaomi? I've never had one before and they seem relatively decent-priced with good hardware. Are they good quality?

Thank you.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I might wait a few more weeks or months so I can save some more and get the A53 5G.

What about Chinese phones, such as Xiaomi? I've never had one before and they seem relatively decent-priced with good hardware. Are they good quality?

Thank you.
They usually have very good hardware for the price. The con is MIUI, their Android skin, that some people might not like. If you like using custom launchers Xiaomi phones could give you some problems.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I've been using Samsung Galaxy A41 for almost a year and a half now.

It's a decent mid-ranger for my needs, but it's missing that "smoothness" and snappiness of opening apps. I am basically looking for something with a faster processor. No other needs, except that the display has to be 1080p and not 720p and it has to be Android.

Can someone possibly recommend me a good mid-ranger up until around £400/$520 that fits the above?

Thanks.
I recently got my friend an S20 FE from Very for £469 I think it was. She loves her phone and it has a flagship chip inside it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I might wait a few more weeks or months so I can save some more and get the A53 5G. Would you say it's better than the A52s 5G? The A53 is newer and only £30 more expensive, but the A52s 5G has a headphone jack AND a charger in the box.

Thank you.

Xiaomi is awesome! I've heard great things about their products!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I recently got my friend an S20 FE from Very for £469 I think it was. She loves her phone and it has a flagship chip inside it.
Awesome ...I just yesterday set up my friend with S21 FE ...I was searching for deals for him coming from S7 ....got it thru Samsung for $349 for him with $200 trade in S7 ...it's perfect phone for him especially for someone wanting to stay with Samsung ..

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome ...I just yesterday set up my friend with S21 FE ...I was searching for deals for him coming from S7 ....got it thru Samsung for $349 for him with $200 trade in S7 ...it's perfect phone for him especially for someone wanting to stay with Samsung ..

The FE series is amazing, for sure! A great addition from Samsung!

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Just last week Xiaomi released the new Redmi Note 11 Pro 5g. For £279 quid you get one amazing well speced phone. MIUI 13 is now solid with Android 12 and behaves as good as any OS. The early years of MIUI are now a thing of the past. Check it out before you jump on the Samsung bandwagon.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I just ordered the Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G.

First ever Chinese phone - very excited to try it out. I will make sure to disable the ads and also uninstall pre-installed games and bloatware.

Any idea how many years updates and support will be provided for?

Also, can anyone recommend a good case/cover for it? Can't seem to find my go-to Spigen armor for this model in the UK.

Thank you.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

First ever Chinese phone - very excited to try it out. I will make sure to disable the ads and also uninstall pre-installed games and bloatware.

Also, can anyone recommend a good case/cover for it? Can't seem to find my go-to Spigen armor for this model in the UK.

Thank you.

Xiaomi is awesome! I am sure you will love it! As far as cases go, I know Flossy Carter does case reviews for Xiaomi phones.

Let us know when you get it and how you are liking it! How exciting!

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

Thank you.
I'm very envious. I'm using the Redmi Note 10 Pro and have been delighted with it but would love the 11. Unfortunately I can't justify a new phone just yet.

You'll get a couple of years of OS updates and Xiaomi run their own security system based on Avast so don't worry about security updates too much although you will receive them.

I use Dux Ducis cases on all my phone's and have done for many years. I have one on my Note 10 Pro so I'm sure you will get one for the 11.

Hope you enjoy your new phone. Let us know how you go.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget to join the UK Mi Community. The app will be preloaded on your phone where you can get help, tips, competitions , news or just chat to other Xiaomi users. Hope to see you there. We're a friendly bunch.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget to join the UK Mi Community. The app will be preloaded on your phone where you can get help, tips, competitions , news or just chat to other Xiaomi users. Hope to see you there. We're a friendly bunch.

Thank you!

With regards to cases, i can't find any specifically for that model from Dux Ducis? Would you be able to send a link?

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you!

With regards to cases, i can't find any specifically for that model from Dux Ducis? Would you be able to send a link?
Out at the moment. I'll have a look when I return home. It could be that the phone is so new that Dux haven't got round to making the case just yet.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
What about this. It's not the 5g but I would think the body will be the same size. You will receive a simple TPU case in the box with the phone.

EDIT Sorry, can't get the link to work. Search eBay for "Redmi Note dux Ducis cases" and you will find the one for the Note 11 Pro.

Last edited: