Looking for info/feedback before I make the move from the S10

Not My Name

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
I know some are of the train of thought that newer=always better so just do it & forget everything else but i'm actually looking for a bit of feedback in areas from people who will have more know-how than me (which is probably all of you :D)

I have the Galaxy S10 which is my first android phone & I've had it maybe 20 months now. Quite happy with it. Little annoyed at myself for getting the one with the shiny back as for some of the photos I take I can see my phone reflection in the close up.
Anyway, I'm considering the S22. Not the +, not the Ultra ... I absolutely hate large phones and don't want to be carrying a tablet in my pocket. There's just some things that are putting me off putting in the pre-order which I'd like some feedback on.

#1 - battery.
Slightly smaller than the S21. I appreciate the phone itself has got slightly smaller but only ever so slightly more than my S10. I go to work at 7am and by the time i'm home at 6/7pm there's not a lot of juice in mine so I'm hoping the S22 at least wont be worse. It'll be a more powerful phone and I don't know if this has any impact on the battery useage in any way?

#2 - screen resolution.
Worse than the S10 for some reason that's beyond me. At least on paper from my understanding of it.
In real life terms is it going to look noticeably worse to the eye or what?

#3 - camera.
Not the main one as I believe that's better but the telephoto which is 10MP instead of 12MP.
Now I don't know a lot about the technicals of photography. I take a lot of close up/zoomed photos. I believe that a better lens can still provide better photos at lower MP than a poorer lens (depending on how much better one lens is than another) with higher MP?
But really though - in real world terms, on the phones screen & when uploaded to a PC, are we going to see a negative difference in quality?

I'll miss the SD card slot option but I can get round that by opting for the 512GB as it's an extra £50.
I prefer having a headphone jack as i'm old school but it's not the end of the world.

I know I sound like i'm moaning about the S22, honestly I'm not - there's plenty I actually like about it. My main concerns are the 3 areas I've pointed out & would just like feedback before I pre-order.

Thanks.

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I'd be worried about the Battery as well but none of the other things really. Maybe they think the new chip and screen will make up for a smaller battery. I have a regular S21 and the battery is pretty good so far. The S21 and S21 Fan edition could be something to look at instead

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi.

You have some valid reservations in regards to updating but what I would say is watch the 1st impressions video's on YouTube and look at some of the tech sites.

From what I read some Highstreet Stores now have the Samsung Galaxy s²² Series of phone's on display to try out so if you can visit one to get to handle and use the phone.

The chipsets in the new phone's have improved so much now that the phone does give better optimisation so battery size does not always mean lesser screen on time etc. Battery stats is a subjective topic as we all set up and use our phone's differently.

Many do miss a SD Card Slot and earphone jack but that change is here to stay for the time being.

I suggest to choose the biggest storage option you can afford and consider online vaults such as Dropbox etc if needed.

Dongles are available if a person wants to use their own wired earphones that have a 3.5mm jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non