Looks like the Evo 3D has the same 4G and call issues

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
At least according to the new review at Phonescoop. The reviewer says "First, WiMax performance. The 4G radio can find Sprint's WiMax network, but not very consistently. Using the phone in New York City on two separate occasions, it connected to the WiMax network lickety-split, held onto it for a minute, and then dropped it. I wasn't able to reconnect to the 4G network for several moments. The rest of the time I was in NYC, the signal waffled between 4G and 3G, as though it couldn't decide which network it preferred. Data speeds and browser performance were, understandably, inconsistent. When it was connected to WiMax, it was fast. When it wasn't, things slowed down.

As for 3G, out in NJ where 4G isn't live yet, I was able to spend a weekend with the EVO 3D using EVDO-only coverage. How well did this work? In a word: disaster. The EVO 3D barely held onto one bar most of the time. This led to missed calls, plenty of repeat dials, and several dropped calls. Not good. As for 3G data performance, it was better than voice performance for sure. Speeds were decent, and 3G browsing sessions were acceptably quick, even with only one bar. At my home in NJ, one bar is pretty typical for Sprint. It performed on par with other Sprint 3G devices."

A 2nd Android phone running GB on Sprint's network and it sounds just like the Nexus issues. Something tells me there are big issues with GB and Sprint for some reason, not good. This might also explain why the 3D is only 9 days from launch and there are zero reviews for it. Sprint isnt sending phones to anyone for early reviews because I bet they know this is an issue already. Full review is here

Review: HTC EVO 3D : Is It Your Type? (Phone Scoop)

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Not really surprised considering I had the same issue with my Evo. It's Sprint's 4G that's the problem.

And I'm not even remotely surprised about the Evo 3D having problems. Exactly why I won't be getting it.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
How is the Evo 4G doing with Gingerbread?

Gingerbread Fixes -Maintenance Release
"Just got off the phone with HTC Support re the death of 802.11n on my Evo They said a maintenance
release for "Gingerbread Fixes" will be pushed within 24 - 48 hours. When asked what fixes the rep said he had no idea. Keep your fingers crossed! "

This is from A/C Evo forum yesterday. What does Sammy have to say...................crickets. :(

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I live in Newark and commute to NYC and I've seen the same thing with my Nexus 4G. I think Sprint's network is crap to be honest as in downtown Newark 4G is active but it flips between 3G and 4G to the point of not being usable. The old EVO could hold on to a 4G signal even though it was 1 bar but the nexus can't. And overall the 3G network is CRAP in NJ/NYC and 4G is nothing to get excited aboutas Verizon's 3G/4G is TRIPLE that speed.

SPRINT 3G at NJIT Outside at 8:15 AM
1342195302.png

SPRINT 4G at NJIT Outside at 8:20 AM
1342200716.png

My Optimus LG has the same 3G speeds here too so its not the phone. The problem with the Nexus is it can't hold a signal at all.

VERIZON 4G at NJIT Outside at 8:24 AM
1342206686.png

Late for work but my 3G verizon speed was 2.44 mbps down/ .49 mbps up

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I live in Newark and commute to NYC and I've seen the same thing with my Nexus 4G. I think Sprint's network is crap to be honest as in downtown Newark 4G is active but it flips between 3G and 4G to the point of not being usable. The old EVO could hold on to a 4G signal even though it was 1 bar but the nexus can't. And overall the 3G network is CRAP in NJ/NYC.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1342195302.png

I have always liked the 3G network until I got the Nexus, on my Evo it was all very usable and fast, on the Nexus it's just all a PITA.

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I say 70% of the problem with the phone is sprint network, Sprint is bad! When I force roam my nexus I have 0 problems, I see the difference and I know the problem is with sprint and now is not inexpensive to have this crap service.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
This is from A/C Evo forum yesterday. What does Sammy have to say...................crickets. :(

Samsung has nothing to do with the software on the phone. They will not be releasing any type of fix, it would come from Google in the form of a Android update. So not surprising that you are hearing crickets from Samsung.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has nothing to do with the software on the phone. They will not be releasing any type of fix, it would come from Google in the form of a Android update. So not surprising that you are hearing crickets from Samsung.

My thought was HTC is at least acknowledging a problem and Sammy claims there is no problem. If it's driver issues the fix will come from the manufacturer not Google, so Google can't update without cooperation from manufacturers. I just wish "they" would hurry up, I have $60 worth of NS4G accessories collecting dust on a shelf. :D

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
To me, this just screams that its an issue with 2.3and hopefully Google gets this situated soon.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The only issue I have with my pal is after a call when it reconnects to the network it will come up with 1x for a split second and even more rare it will just stay on 1x until I restart the device. Then only odd thing is I'm right next to my 3g airave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf