Lost Pictures/Music files

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have about 10GB worth of music (which I have back up off so I don't care for it) but 2.5GB worth of pictures on my card, which I very do! How to get those back??

I lost pictures 5 years worth.

I WILL 100% have all of them back up to GOOGLE as I capture them from now on.

Does anybody have workaround of this??

The card has about 130 folders (0 byte each) called " µ " now.

"Music" folder is gone whats so ever (but I have that backed up)

Pictures is what I really care about. Any thoughts folks? And I had 5, or even 6 times more files there, starting from 2008. Thanx

Pictures

2iiiqsm.jpg

That is not all. Where is the rest hiding?

I really don't think this is all of them, where is the rest?

u Folders

2i1hvs2.jpg

Thanx folks

P.S. What do I do to prevent this in future?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, DON'T WRITE ANYTHING TO THE CARD!That includes renaming files.

On a computer, download PhotoRec. Burn it to an optical disk (CD, DVD, doesn't matter.) Put the SD card from the phone into a card reader and plug it into the computer. Reboot the computer from the disk. (When it says something like "press any key to boot from CD", press a key.)

Point PhotoRec to the SD card. Tell it to save to one of your hard drives. Let it go. Go to sleep. By morning it should have recovered anything that looks like a file from the card. (The full explanation of how it works, and a list of file types it recognizes, is on the site if you want to learn how it works.

The filesystem structure of that card seems to have been corrupted but, since PhotoRec doesn't look at the filesystem structure, it doesn't matter.

Oh, BTW, this "it can't be done" program is free. If it fails to recover the pictures from the card, they aren't on the card. If they are, even if the entire directory structure of the card is corrupted, PhotoRec will work. (And if a card or hard drive has been repartitioned and you want the old partitions back, its companion program, TestDisk, at the same site and for the same price, will find the old partitions and bring them back.)

No, I didn't write these things. I'm not yet good enough to even wish I had. I've only been writing system code for 40 years.

To prevent it in the future?

Buy only real SanDisk cards. (Don't look to save money - the cheap ones are usually counterfeits and not worth the postage you don't pay.) SanDisk and Samsung are the only companies making the chips for the cards - everyone else buys from them. Do they get top-of-the-line or rejects? (I don't know, but I've been in the business for a long time, I know who usually has the real story and I've heard things - so I only buy SanDisk.) Why not Samsung? SanDisk is a great company to work with. You have a problem? They have live chat on their site and they sound as if their reason for being there is to solve your problem.

Make sure you have a good antivirus app and a good antimalware app running.

And, as you said, make sure everything is backed up all the time. (No matter how good the card is, it won't survive being ground up by a truck tire when you drop the phone.)

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
But, I think I did a BBIIGG booboo.... Those little u files, I think (I only think though) I might of had tried to delete. And not just regular delete, but secure delete using Eraser

If I delete stuff I want to really delete, I use that tool. Did I make thins go wrong here?? THANK YOU!!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you've been using this card on multiple devices, right?! From the pic you posted, it also sounds like you have a Kingston card and it might be that its suffering read/write issues causing corrupt files to ruin the card. My best advice would be to dump the Kingston card and get a Sandisk branded card.

Summer Shao

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey,
Don't be upset, you have chance to recover deleted photos. Just try connecting your cell phone to a computer with software, just like WiserecoveryPro.
Good Luck.

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that program, but yes extract the zip before hand. I'd try just running it in Windows rather than via CD to start with.

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Are there any files in your LOST.DIR on your SD card, with wierd filenames, etc.? You might try copying these files off, renaming one to 0001.jpg and see if they display as a valid picture on your PC. There might be more files in there than lost pictures but if it's your pictures that you are concerned with, it's worth a shot if nothing else is working.

Edit: once those files are on your PC, instead of renaming each file, right-click and choose Open With and select Windows Picture Viewer. You may get garbage, invalid file error messages, etc but you might be pleasantly surprised and find some of your lost pictures. When you find one, rename it and move it out of that directory and continue testing the remaining files.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582