Lost steps

stewarta13wsb

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Watch 6 classic & S24 Ultra missing steps. Not on watch or phone. Using Samsung health.... is there a better option?
As an example 1000 steps on elliptical trainer = 380 on Samsung Health!
Phone set so Health never sleeps : auto detect on : restarted watch & phone : dud results for premium products?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't really have an answer, but I know in my case, if I'm not swinging my 'watch arm', it misses steps.

If I'm pushing the grocery cart, lawn mower, etc, it's not accurate. Carrying laundry up & down the stairs...nope! It doesn't count stairs at all. But if I'm on a track steadily walking or on the treadmill & swinging the arm, it does track pretty well. My Samsung Watch 3 behaved in the same manner.

Fortunately for me, I'm not serious about step goals.

I hope you find a solution... 🙂

(I'm just using the Watch 6 Classic. I don't really use the Samsung app on my s24 Ultra.)

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
First my sarcastic response: Well, you better go back 620 steps to see where you lost them.

Ok, I got that out of the way.

Could it be that you were on an elliptical trainer and not actually walking? If possible, actually walk 1000 steps on a treadmill and see what results you get. Using an elliptical machine is not exactly the same as walking. The motion of your arms on an elliptical machine is not the same as if you were walking.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
How are you beginning the walk? Are you having the watch figure it out based on your activity, are you manually starting the activity, is it part of a circuit?

Like others though swinging your arm might help. I've never compared the difference between one or the other. Now I'm going to have to pay attention.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Old step counters worked off of arm swings. These watches seem to operate on a more sophisticated level incorporating information like heart rate, motion and distance traveled. The gyro in the watch should be sensitive enough to detect the arm movement of an elliptical machine. While looking up that answer I noticed mention of how well it contacts the skin and how tight it is around the wrist. Would it be possible that you're wearing the watch loosely?

How can I make my smart watch more accurate?

Make sure the sensor is always in direct contact with your skin. You shouldn't be able to see the light coming from the sensor.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw3kWLzG-ns0qnt2uiKVOlro&opi=89978449

Reactions: Laura Knotek

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't really have an answer, but I know in my case, if I'm not swinging my 'watch arm', it misses steps.

If I'm pushing the grocery cart, lawn mower, etc, it's not accurate. Carrying laundry up & down the stairs...nope! It doesn't count stairs at all. But if I'm on a track steadily walking or on the treadmill & swinging the arm, it does track pretty well. My Samsung Watch 3 behaved in the same manner.

Fortunately for me, I'm not serious about step goals.

I hope you find a solution... 🙂

(I'm just using the Watch 6 Classic. I don't really use the Samsung app on my s24 Ultra.)
pushing a lawnmower or grocery cart always grabs my steps, but that's because I have my phone on me, too. (I do use the Samsung Health app)

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that I'm not doing as many steps as usual since I got the S24 Ultra.
I've been a little suspicious of the low step count for a while now so I compared a day with my previous few phones on a walking route which would normally yield around 17000 steps and it recorded 13200.

I've not changed any routines so it must be the step counter.

Reactions: jtfwTX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe1335