Low frame rate on video recording preview

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that when on video mode in the Camera app, both while and while not recording, that the frame rate is incredibly slow? The actual recording is fine but the preview is choppy. Doesn't do it on any of the photo modes, just video. It's doing it on both my 6 pro and my wife's 6.

Running current app version 8.6.263.478604508.17

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you looking at the video using the little gallery preview in the Camera app, or with the Photos app? If it's in Google Photos, and if you have auto-backup turned on, it might be lagging because it's still processing the video in the cloud (and the Photos app may be relying on the cloud file rather than the on-device file). If you wait a little bit (sometimes an hour or so), does it become smoother and "rez up"?

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you looking at the video using the little gallery preview in the Camera app, or with the Photos app? If it's in Google Photos, and if you have auto-backup turned on, it might be lagging because it's still processing the video in the cloud (and the Photos app may be relying on the cloud file rather than the on-device file). If you wait a little bit (sometimes an hour or so), does it become smoother and "rez up"?
I wasn't sure how to explain it. I'm talking about the screen when I have the video camera on, recording or not. It's been going on for several weeks, I just don't record videos often so I forget to ask about it. And it ONLY does it when the camera is set to video. It's smooth when I'm just taking pictures.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What if you turn on video stabilization, as it was suggesting?
Doesn't change anything. I feel like my camera did this before after an OS update and then just went away on its own after a while. I was just surprised no one else here has had the same issue.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Update: Didn't try safe mode but installed Nov security update and now it's smooth.