Low Signal Quality After 10 Update

tfitzpat03

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed that myself. Thought I was the only one. The call quality seems the same from what I can tell but I am rarely at full bars as I was before.

Will have to monitor this in a couple of tough signal areas and see how it does.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I thought it was just me, too! I've never been at full bars, always half, but now I'm down to a quarter at home. (I live in a small town, close to a large urban area.) When I was in the city today I forgot to look ... will have to do that tomorrow. I still have excellent call quality at home, however.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this on my Pixel 3XL as soon as I updated, but I think the new design for how signal strength is displayed is just throwing me off. Before, the signal strength was represented by white with the remainder of the "signal area" greyed out, so it was less noticable. Now the signal strength is white but with a stark outline around the whole icon, so it makes the signal strength look lower IMO. I haven't noticed any performance issues.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this on my Pixel 3XL as soon as I updated, but I think the new design for how signal strength is displayed is just throwing me off. Before, the signal strength was represented by white with the remainder of the "signal area" greyed out, so it was less noticable. Now the signal strength is white but with a stark outline around the whole icon, so it makes the signal strength look lower IMO. I haven't noticed any performance issues.

I agree. I have the signal check app and the dBm signal strength is exactly the same on my Pixel XL at work and home as it was before.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the PERFORMANCE tells a different story. My texts are failing, and I am barely able to stream now because of this issue.

I have to recant what I posted earlier about this. Although the signal strength seems the same, I too am having performance declines since the update. On the lower floor of my house I can no longer stream through my Sirius app. I have been able to do that for years. I ran a speed test and it dropped to below 1mbps where it used to be 10 or more. This update has definitely done something to the signal.

sjfrazier0410

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely worse for me. Prior to the 10 update this was hands down the best phone I've ever owned in terms of reception. After the update my wife's iPhone XS Max has better connection in terms of strength and speed and I use to blow her away. It's frustrating, but hoping an upcoming update will fix it.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It really seems like the pixel 3 line is having lots of issues with updates, especially with the Android 10 update. I have to be honest, I've come super close to pulling the pin on a 3 because of the $300 off sale, but I just don't want to deal with the issues the 3's seem to be having with so many things. I'm just going to wait and see how the 4 stacks up.

I've read the 3's haven't been selling well which is the reason they've had a "permanent" reduction in price. I'm not trying to bash the phones at all, I currently own and daily use an og pixel, and will be owning pixels from here on out, but I do wonder about how much effort Google really put into the 3 series. But then again they've already settled 2 class action lawsuits for the Nexus 6P and the og pixel, so maybe this is the norm for them :O

I really hope they step it up for the 4 ;-)

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Yup I got to agree. I wasn't in the beta's but My WIFI and LTE are worse than they use to be. Hope they fix it.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yup I got to agree. I wasn't in the beta's but My WIFI and LTE are worse than they use to be. Hope they fix it.

My og pixel is getting the exact same strength readings with wifi and LTE as before the update to 10.... and in fact slightly better in some scenarios. But I haven't noticed any real world difference, I tend to think maybe the strength meters are just reading slightly different after the update ;-)

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
My Carrier Services app from Google was updated last night from the Play Store. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with interface with towers and LTE signal? I restarted my Pixel 3 XL and now it seems my signal at home is more stable again and not jumping from 1 bar to 4 than back down to even zero bars at times. This could have just been temporary, so not declaring anything fixed until I try it when I get home tonight. Can't really tell at work because there is a Verizon transmitter on a street light pole only about a hundred feet away from my office window, so always 5 bars and a dBm level in the -60s here all the time.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
My Carrier Services app from Google was updated last night from the Play Store. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with interface with towers and LTE signal? I restarted my Pixel 3 XL and now it seems my signal at home is more stable again and not jumping from 1 bar to 4 than back down to even zero bars at times. This could have just been temporary, so not declaring anything fixed until I try it when I get home tonight. Can't really tell at work because there is a Verizon transmitter on a street light pole only about a hundred feet away from my office window, so always 5 bars and a dBm level in the -60s here all the time.
Believe that's mostly to do with RCS and some other carrier features. Most time the radios are updated in the system updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco