MailDroid vs K-9

catwink21

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Would be nice to be able to search all mail folders at once. Not meaning all accounts at once. I have alot of gmail folder and searching one folder at a time is cumbersome. Still a better at than K-9, stock GMail and Mial. just my opinion.

brianct1972

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am having trouble getting my IMAP email to alert me when emails come in. I am using Maildroid, and I still have the same email account using the standard mail client on my Droid 2.

I have everything set to Push, but there is still a huge lag time. Am I missing a setting, or am I stuck with every 15 minutes?

Thanks!

sdupe7

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
MailDroid Battery issues

I became increasingly frustrated with the droid email client for my Fascinate and so two days ago I installed Maildroid. While I love the fact that it does everything I couldn't do with the other client, the past two days my battery has run down to zero within about 6 hours of unplugging in the morning from a full charge! Typically I would be able to run the full day with regular use and still have about 30 percent of my battery left at the end of the day. Is Maildroid the cause here? It's the ONLY thing I have changed on my phone and so it seems the likely culprit. Thanks for any insight.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I had posted this on another forum and low and behold what did I find on AC?
I have been working a lot of over time lately so I havent really been around AC much (Sure Phil is happy about that, I am a pain in the arse) but I have to say as I am sure people are starting to find out MailDroid is awesome.

Is MailDroid worth $17.99? Yes it is worth it. I dont know how he/she is doing it but it is almost like push email for Blackberry. I set up the add version yesterday and set up all three accounts I use on a regular basis, Gmail, yahoo and msn. I then did the same thing with K-9. I started sending myself emails from my laptop to the different accounts throughout the day testing the speed at wich I received my emails. I always got my emails on MSN and Yahoo WAY before I did on K-9. That by itself was enough to sell me but I was missing one function that I really like in the gmail app so I emailed the developer today. I wanted to see if he/she could add the ability to select auto preview on attached photos just like in the official gmail mail app. not only did he/she say they would add the ability to select that option in later builds, they answered all of my questions within 15 minutes over several emails. So as far as I am concerned this is one awesome way to consolidate all of your email accounts into one application, opening room on your desktop for another icon. With this app you are getting almost Blackberry type pushed email. Dont believe me try the test yourself. Load K-9 and the add version of maildriod, you will see the difference. I did. Oh and another feature I forgot about, in settings you can set automated times at wich to receive notices. I have mine set to turn off audio alerts after 9pm and start back up at 7am. but I still get the blinking led so I can still look over at my phone to see if I have received any emails, awesome. And best of all the support from this person is second to none. I never thought an email app would be worth $17.99, I was wrong. This person has put so much work and thought into this application along with the support that comes with it, in my opinion it is worth every penny.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but at 17.99? I think most people will be able to get by with their current mail client. Making it price competitive will net more sales. 7.99 to me is way more reasonable.

Just my 2 pence.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I started with K9 mail, because the stock email on the Droid X wasn't doing it for me. I liked it initially, but people were telling me they were getting Multiple copies of the same email I sent out. Each Person was getting 10 or more of the same email. I contacted the developer of K9 and we didn't have the same problem. Another problem I was having with K9 was the Led notification never worked.
So I switched to MailDroid and have been loving it ever since. I like getting the led notifications for email which it does. I also like how it show's the different folders. It's worked great for me so far. I also use Gmail also, just because I like the report spam filter on it. I see now that there is a spam control on the latest update of Maildroid too. I will have to see how that works.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use MailDroid and k-9 mail a while ago,back in October, but neither of them supported Exchange 2003 at the time which is what my company uses. I went out today to check them out and they both now support Exchange 2003, but I have been using Touchdown for exchange and it is awesome, but I don't know if I want to pay 19.99 for just exchange support. The things I like about touchdown is that it is push for exchange and support activesync. It also has an integrated calendar and nice widgets to boot (e-mail, calendar, tasks, etc.).

Does anyone know if Maildroid has an integrated calendar as well or is it just e-mail/folder support? I see it has a calendar folder which lists all events, but I don't see a calendar.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use MailDroid and k-9 mail a while ago,back in October, but neither of them supported Exchange 2003 at the time which is what my company uses. I went out today to check them out and they both now support Exchange 2003, but I have been using Touchdown for exchange and it is awesome, but I don't know if I want to pay 19.99 for just exchange support. The things I like about touchdown is that it is push for exchange and support activesync. It also has an integrated calendar and nice widgets to boot (e-mail, calendar, tasks, etc.).

Does anyone know if Maildroid has an integrated calendar as well or is it just e-mail/folder support? I see it has a calendar folder which lists all events, but I don't see a calendar.

Maildroid is an email only client. I don't think there is a calendar/email app (a la Outlook) available on Android. Frankly, unless an email and a calendar app maker get together to combine their products, I don't see that happening any time soon.

You won't find active sync support on many Android apps because MS charges over $100K for the product. Frankly, it isn't worth it, so most of them support Exchange through GPL libraries, which cannot access activesync due to MS patents/licencing requirements. Touchdown has access because their developers paid the $'s, which is why it is so expensive (for an Android app).

The best Calendar apps I've found are CalenGoo (in the market, also has an iPhone version, and I bought it) and PlimCal(?) (not on the market, haven't tried it since buying CalenGoo), neither of which have free/trial versions. Through their integration with Google Calendar, I believe they will support emailing reminders, if that is why you wanted the two integrated. Further integration isn't available yet.

Hope this helps.

Scott

garymorris

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Maildroid Question

I am looking for an app that will allow for different alerts based on either the account or rules and have found Mail Alert which really isn't doing what I would like. I have several email accounts, including 2 gmail accounts, that I need different alert notifications for. Will Mail Droid support this on the Thunderbolt? Coming from BB I used something called Smart Alerts which worked with SMS and Email but haven't found something that works well since getting my TB.

cron912

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, rules can be set-up in MailDroid for custom notifications by account. Don't have a Thunderbolt to try it on, but it works on my X.

lovebig

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It would be really nice if messages could be moved to folders using the press-and-hold menu on individual messages. I move a lot of messages to folders and it's a pain to leave my unified inbox, open individual inbox, highlight checkbox, finally select move. The main thing I miss about my iphone is streamlined interfaces. Everything on the Android seems to take 3 extra steps. Anyways, it would be great if I could just press-and-hold to move to another folder. In fact, I would use that press and hold menu for anything that can be streamlined. Otherwise great product! Very happy with it. Thank you.

Blowfish64

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for an email program that will allow me to download my entire inbox. I don't understand why no email program allows this. I have 32 GB of storage and an unlimited data connection, so there should be no reason I should not be allowed to do this in this day and age. However, I have yet to find a program that will allow this. Could you fix this in the next iteration of MailDroid or point me to a program with this functionality? Thanks in advance.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been able to do this with Moxier Mail for my Exchange account at work. Haven't tried it with Gmail or anything else, though.

TOM D2

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Moxier is what works best for me, corporate imap/exchange 2007/2010 moxier supports.
I tried them all..try it trial availability

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332