Making use of full screen for apps

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
In case you haven't seen on XDA, they found a way to whitelist all apps to take advantage of the full screen.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/es...x-apps-filling-screen-nova-included-t3670404/

I have done it and confirm it works. No root need. Done through adb. I'm using Blackberry Launcher and it does take advantage of the full screen as well as other apps that previously didn't. I have not encountered any apps yet that look offset because they weren't whitelisted.

*Warning* Do at your own risk!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170911-052627.jpg
    Screenshot_20170911-052627.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 27

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Wow. I thought I was the only one using the BlackBerry Launcher here. Hilarious. Did you whitelist the launcher package individually or use a wildcard and take your chances? Have you tried whitelisting any other BB apps like Calendar or Contacts? If so, results?

I caught this on XDA last night but haven't tried it yet. It sounds like this fixes broken apps like Textra as well where in its case clicks register too high. So far that was the only app I ran into that was completely broken on this phone.

Last edited:

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I thought I was the only one using the BlackBerry Launcher here. Hilarious. Did you whitelist the launcher package individually or use a wildcard and take your chances? Have you tried whitelisting any other BB apps like Calendar or Contacts? If so, results?

I caught this on XDA last night but haven't tried it yet. It sounds like this fixes broken apps like Textra as well where in its case clicks register too high. So far that was the only app I ran into that was completely broken on this phone.

If you follow the steps and put the following command

adb shell

settings put global ESSENTIAL_LAYOUT_WHITELIST "*"

It will work on any app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170911-074104.jpg
    Screenshot_20170911-074104.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 18

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
If you follow the steps and put the following command

adb shell

settings put global ESSENTIAL_LAYOUT_WHITELIST "*"

It will work on any app.
Correct. You can also whitelist individual packages rather than using a wildcard ("*"). I take it you must have gone the wildcard route.

Do you use any other BB apps? If so do they adapt correctly to the new size as well?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Correct. You can also whitelist individual packages rather than using a wildcard ("*"). I take it you must have gone the wildcard route.

Do you use any other BB apps? If so do they adapt correctly to the new size as well?

I've gone the wild card route. BB Hub, Calendar, Notes all work correctly and even smaller apps like Higi and My fitness Pal all work properly.

This makes up definitely the wasted space that would make the top color bar extra big.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Looks like this might be the solution until app developers make their apps compatible. I emailed Essential last night asking who is responsible for app compatibility and whitelisting. Here is their response from a few minutes ago:

Thanks for writing in. We cannot speak for third party developers, please reach out to the third party to initiate the conversation from their side. Please enjoy the rest of your day!

At least the global entry can be deleted later if necessary. Otherwise it might be the quickest and easiest solution.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this might be the solution until app developers make their apps compatible. I emailed Essential last night asking who is responsible for app compatibility and whitelisting. Below is their response.

At least the global entry can be deleted if necessary.

Apparently from what I read, developers have to reach out to Essential to have their apps whitelisted that would be updated in updates from Essential.

Yeah... no. I'm quite happy with this solution.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm quite happy with this solution.
Same here. After finally getting Win 10 to install the ADB driver, the only app I had break was quickly solved by uninstalling and reinstalling it. Everything I'm running appears to be working. The BlackBerry Launcher works perfectly with full-screen wallpaper. This is awesome.

Edit: This also fixed the misalignment issue in BlackBerry Privacy Shade. Now it works as designed.

Last edited:

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
A developer on Reddit just released a whitelist app to control full-screen whitelisting per app. It needs permission granted via ADB but runs normally after that.

Edit: Just installed it and gave it permissions. Works great. It will overwrite the existing whitelist setting for those of us who have added them.

Only caveat is to be careful using the second tab to hide navigation. It makes apps full-screen at the bottom and requires swiping down the top nav bar to regain the back/home/app buttons at the bottom.

App: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/apps/details?id=in.tsdo.elw&token=EbhbmPax
Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/essential/comments/6zcped/essential_layout_whitelist_editor/

Last edited:

jascospeed

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I went this route myself, works great! Running full screen with Nova launcher... It's great to have good developers fill the gaps left by manufactures. Essential says their Working on full screen support. But with their rollout issues and supply problems, I'm sure this isn't on Their top list to do. This app makes it super easy, without having to manually input different packages or use wildcard via ADB ...

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Interesting note: If you uninstall the app it restores the wildcard whitelist if applied. And, reinstalling the app requires a new perm command via ADB.

It might be a simple app but it's written surprisingly well.

I ended up going back to the wildcard method since all of my apps work. Removing the bottom navigation bar in Google Maps was handy but added a step in switching/closing the app. I'd rather see a transparency option from Essential.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So I'm using the Essential List app and having the navigation button hidden has really gave this phone a beautiful look. Having a full screen and bezeless look has made this phone beautiful.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Ha... I feel dumb. If you disable the bottom nav buttons you just have to swipe up from the bottom to get them back. Coming from BB10 I should have known to try this first. ?????? I've now disabled nav in almost all of my apps to see how well it works everywhere.

Essential needs an app like this out of the box. They can't wait on app developers to update. That would take forever.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ha... I feel dumb. If you disable the bottom nav buttons you just have to swipe up from the bottom to get them back. Coming from BB10 I should have known to try this first. ������ I've now disabled nav in almost all of my apps to see how well it works everywhere.

Essential needs an app like this out of the box. They can't wait on app developers to update. That would take forever.

Yeah I may leave it up for the Launcher but it looks great. Reminds me of the G4 when it had that option.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Heck, I removed it in Launcher since I only have two pages of icons. :) I usually only need the back/home/app buttons when I'm anywhere but home, and it's easy enough to swipe up if necessary. It looks clean.

Edit: I've since restored the nav buttons in BB Launcher. It works fine without them but slowed me down a bit.

True BB10 gestures would be awesome with this phone.

Last edited:

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
The essential services has been updated and allows nova to have full screen. Everyone need to just let the developers know to contact essential and all they have to do is push N update to that app in the play store to enable full screen.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Agreed. That process will take a while though so it's good we have both the universal whitelist and Layout app as options in the meantime.

I wish Essential would instead release their own whitelist app like Layout to save time. They'd gain market acceptance more quickly that way.