Marshmallow and Samsung Kies Backup Issues?

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
So, I tried backing up my phone a few times with Samsung Kies since I got Marshmallow installed and I noticed that very little is being backed up now.

Almost the entire second row of backup items, like device settings, WIFI settings, etc... etc... are being skipped due to an "error", although there is no indication what that is.

The phone works fine and the USB connection is fine. Has Samsung forgotten to update Kies for Marshmallow or something?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has (IMHO) all but abandoned KIES for their new "Smart Switch". Download that from Samsung and you will see that it will back up MUCH MUCH more than KIES.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh, ok thanks. I thought Smart Switch was only for "switching" from iOS to Android.

I'll check it out tonight.

That's what I first thought too, but it is quite a nice piece of software that will download and backup pretty much every bit of information on your phone into a format that's actually READABLE on a computer. You can go into the various folders and check to make sure you have your important files.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
That's what I first thought too, but it is quite a nice piece of software that will download and backup pretty much every bit of information on your phone into a format that's actually READABLE on a computer. You can go into the various folders and check to make sure you have your important files.
In contract with Kies that downloads the entire phone into a single blob and if there is any problem at all with anything in the backup, it will fail to restore anything. Single point of failure.

Samsung Smart Switch is pretty awesome, but make sure you also use SMS Backup and Restore and make screenshots of your home screen icons and widgets since you'll need to rebuild those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia