Matte Finish. This should be the new standard.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
used mine for 4 days until I finally got my case. yes, it's easier to to hold with the matte finish. it's much easier to hold with a case. ymmv
I agree with you. I'm not using a case at home but always do when I'm out of the house. I never went case-free on my S22 Ultra, because it was too slippery even at home.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use my phones at home naked and I just love how my S24U feels, more importantly how much EASIER it is to carry & handle. My OnePlus 11 5G is so slippery.
I would use my phone naked at home, but February in the UK is rather nippy...

Also I don't tend to take the case off as I need the Magsafe ring for charging at night.Shame they didn't give us Qi2.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm actually far more likely to drop my phone at home than when I'm out... the bulk of "drops" are it sliding off the sofa when I stand up lol. But then, I'm not a leve my phone on a bar table type... when I'm outside my phone is generally in my pocket or in my hand.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I would use my phone naked at home, but February in the UK is rather nippy...

Also I don't tend to take the case off as I need the Magsafe ring for charging at night.Shame they didn't give us Qi2.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm actually far more likely to drop my phone at home than when I'm out... the bulk of "drops" are it sliding off the sofa when I stand up lol. But then, I'm not a leve my phone on a bar table type... when I'm outside my phone is generally in my pocket or in my hand.
I do drop it at home but dropping it hard wood is the difference. No issues.

I don't follow Qi but I heard MKBHD mention it on his OnePlus 12 review...

Being limited at 15 watts seems to be there reason why.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
True cases help.

I also noticed while in my pocket it doesn't slip out easily.
when out and about, I keep my phone in my back pocket. before I got my case, I went to pull my phone out at a checkout to pay, and the camera lenses caught on the lip of my pocket. almost had a bit of an oops right there in the store. that was sufficiently jarring for me. lol

Reactions: Laura Knotek

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
used mine for 4 days until I finally got my case. yes, it's easier to to hold with the matte finish. it's much easier to hold with a case. ymmv
Yep my Flip has the matte finish, much easier and safer to hang on to without a case, but I still use a case for ultimate grip and protection.

My P6Pro on the other hand is completely unusable without a case... I've never held a phone that slippery in my life 😯 Not sure what Google was thinking there 🤔

I never use my phones naked, although if I ask nicely my wife will 😜 I suppose I need to return the favor 😉

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Yep my Flip has the matte finish, much easier and safer to hang on to without a case, but I still use a case for ultimate grip and protection.

My P6Pro on the other hand is completely unusable without a case... I've never held a phone that slippery in my life 😯 Not sure what Google was thinking there 🤔

I never use my phones naked, although if I ask nicely my wife will 😜 I suppose I need to return the favor 😉
I tried using my S22U without a case for a little bit. Frankly, it would have been easier and quicker if I'd simply thrown it against the wall at speed.....very slippery phone.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
when out and about, I keep my phone in my back pocket. before I got my case, I went to pull my phone out at a checkout to pay, and the camera lenses caught on the lip of my pocket. almost had a bit of an oops right there in the store. that was sufficiently jarring for me. lol
I keep mine in my front left pocket of my Levi's 501s with a case when I'm out and about.