May switch from iPhone 4, need contacts

agreer

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I like what I have seen withn android and my iphone has been a nightmare with the prosy sensor, so I am thinking of swapping it for the Galaxy before my 30 days run out. There are a few things I need to know first:

My contacts as of now, at least the ones that i want handy on my phone, are all stored in Apples address book app on my mac-book. how can I make them - and only them, not the other 200 people with whom I have emailed, show up in my android list?

Is it possible to delete the att apps? and where applicable, change the defaults (search, default mapping app, to google from att maps and such)?

Does att handicap the phone in any other way?

Will this phone run Gingerbread 3.0?

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Setup your Apple address book application to sync with Google, then your contacts will download over the air to your new phone when you enter in your Google account.

I'm not at a computer right now, but it's in the Mail preferences.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The ATT apps can be deleted (or renamed to hide them), if you root the device. I haven't tried this.

Another workaround is to use a home-screen launcher to customize the look and feel of the phone. One of the options is to hide the icons of any installed apps.

Hope this helps,

AoN

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You may be able to back-up your contacts and put them on the new phone using an app called iDrive Lite.

As far as the ATT stuff, it is annoying, but I just removed the shortcuts and it's not really a problem. I only see them in the full applications list. I used a launcher for awhile, but I actually like the Touch Wiz interface and am going to stick with that for now.

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
ok in front of my mac now, go to the Address Book application -> Preferences -> Accounts -> On My Mac -> Synchronize with Google.

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
... how can I make them - and only them, not the other 200 people with whom I have emailed, show up in my android list?
That's an issue. The iPhone syncs with the My Contacts list in Gmail. But, for some reason, it appears that Samsung messed with that and the Captivate only syncs with the full list.

Kind of pain in the butt, in my opinion.

Generally, I think you should be prepared for a trade-off coming from the iPhone 4. Both have their advantages. I am very happy I chose the Captivate over the iPhone 4, but people with different priorities will have different views.

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
That's an issue. The iPhone syncs with the My Contacts list in Gmail. But, for some reason, it appears that Samsung messed with that and the Captivate only syncs with the full list.

so you just fix it easily from the web, editing your contacts in google. you create a group ahead of time in Address Book. That group will sync up too. Then from the web, in gmail/voice/etc in the contacts, you select the ones not in the group and delete.

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure I follow you, but if I do ... you'd still get all of the new contacts Gmail added automatically, right? And, well ... what if you want those other contacts you have in Gmail, but just don't want them on your phone?

Cagey48

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Just as a side note, when i got my Captivate from the ATT store the guy at the store transferred all my contacts from my iphone to the new Captivate, took about 3 mins.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You could also look into MarkSpace Missing-Sync for Android. I went this route since I didn't want anything syncing with Google (I prefer to keep my personal info off the google cloud as much as possible, I know I'm weird and fighting a loosing battle ).

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just as a side note, when i got my Captivate from the ATT store the guy at the store transferred all my contacts from my iphone to the new Captivate, took about 3 mins.

Did you check to make sure they are ALL there? It took me awhile to realize that if I had 2 different phone numbers stored under a contact, the in-store transfer only brought over one of them. Hope you didn't lose any important numbers like I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko