May update.?

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I received mine back on 5/1, on T-Mobile. I have heard that Verizon customers were not getting it. Who's your carrier?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
again a special version for VZM. TQ2A.230505.002.G1 for VZM and TQ2A.230505.002 for everyone else. Wonder why.
When Android 14 comes, I am going to do a factory reset. I'm hoping we can get off the Verizon specific track and get back onto the global update track like everyone else. This crap is exactly why I have bought Google phones directly from them going back to the Nexus 5.

At least the 7 does not seem to have a Verizon version so maybe the 8 will be back to normal for when I replace this P6. I'm hoping I can celebrate Halloween without the 6.

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
When Android 14 comes, I am going to do a factory reset. I'm hoping we can get off the Verizon specific track and get back onto the global update track like everyone else. This crap is exactly why I have bought Google phones directly from them going back to the Nexus 5.

At least the 7 does not seem to have a Verizon version so maybe the 8 will be back to normal for when I replace this P6. I'm hoping I can celebrate Halloween without the 6.
I can understand why others have a different preference; but speaking only for myself, I'm encouraged by the fact that Verizon applies an additional level of scrutiny to these security updates. Even though the process sometimes holds up delivery of the update, I'm less concerned about the relatively minor inconvenience of that delay than I am about the potential problems that might otherwise be overlooked if Verizon failed to ensure that each update is fully compatible with the Verizon version of my current Pixel device (the Pixel 6 Pro is my third Google phone, after highly satisfying user experiences with the Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 5).

I'll acknowledge that my perspective may be influenced by the fact that I'm just a retired senior whose use of the device is casual, with only a small number of apps. For that reason, I'm not worried about security risks during the temporary span between the general distribution of the update and its subsequent release after being "scrubbed" by Verizon. Here's hoping that future updates are received simultaneously as scheduled so that all Pixel owners are equally pleased.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I can understand why others have a different preference; but speaking only for myself, I'm encouraged by the fact that Verizon applies an additional level of scrutiny to these security updates. Even though the process sometimes holds up delivery of the update, I'm less concerned about the relatively minor inconvenience of that delay than I am about the potential problems that might otherwise be overlooked if Verizon failed to ensure that each update is fully compatible with the Verizon version of my current Pixel device (the Pixel 6 Pro is my third Google phone, after highly satisfying user experiences with the Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 5).

I'll acknowledge that my perspective may be influenced by the fact that I'm just a retired senior whose use of the device is casual, with only a small number of apps. For that reason, I'm not worried about security risks during the temporary span between the general distribution of the update and its subsequent release after being "scrubbed" by Verizon. Here's hoping that future updates are received simultaneously as scheduled so that all Pixel owners are equally pleased.
I use a Samsung, not a Pixel, but I chose factory unlocked with unlocked firmware because I was tired of features removed by Verizon.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I understand that perspective also. It is not even a particularly important issue for me (only becomes one on the phone/tech sites since they are already pretty specific). Maybe my frustration is a legacy from the early days of Android when Verizon had their fingerprints all over phones with undeletable apps and forced usage of other things. Nexus/Pixel phones removed that for a long time and the last three months with the P6 are the first time they have been in my phone since 2017.

I guess ultimately i am a little envious of Apple. They have never let the carriers interfere with their updates (or pre-install carrier apps). I wish Google would flex their clout and tell the carriers to pound sand. Samsung too.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I understand that perspective also. It is not even a particularly important issue for me (only becomes one on the phone/tech sites since they are already pretty specific). Maybe my frustration is a legacy from the early days of Android when Verizon had their fingerprints all over phones with undeletable apps and forced usage of other things. Nexus/Pixel phones removed that for a long time and the last three months with the P6 are the first time they have been in my phone since 2017.

I guess ultimately i am a little envious of Apple. They have never let the carriers interfere with their updates (or pre-install carrier apps). I wish Google would flex their clout and tell the carriers to pound sand. Samsung too.
That's the same complaint I've had. I don't care about Verizon Cloud, Verizon Messages+, My Verizon, or any other carrier bloatware.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Finally installed the Pixel 6 May update. It took over 1 hour. I'm thankful for the update, but I still don't understand why it takes over 1 hour to complete. There are times when the progress bar seems to STALL. I've posted this on every site I can think of, including Google, for the past 10 years and no response.
Can anyone knowledgeable have any idea.? Thanks

Pixel69

Dec 21, 2021
Visit site
Finally installed the Pixel 6 May update. It took over 1 hour. I'm thankful for the update, but I still don't understand why it takes over 1 hour to complete. There are times when the progress bar seems to STALL. I've posted this on every site I can think of, including Google, for the past 10 years and no response.
Most of the time is for "optimizing apps". If you side load, that procedure isn't done and the update is much shorter.

Reactions: jhilker

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is all being done in the background -- it's best not to pay attention to it, since it's like waiting for a watched pot to boil. You can still use the phone normally while the update is downloading, installing, and optimizing -- once all of that is done in the background, you'll be prompted to restart the phone. The reboot itself should only take about 10-20 seconds, after which you can sign back into your phone and use it immediately. This is all due to the dual partition setup, allowing for seamless updates. The alternative is what happens on a Samsung phone, which doesn't use dual partitions -- after the update finishes downloading on a Samsung phone, you restart it, then have to wait about 5-10 minutes for the update to install and apps to optimize (during which the phone is completely out of commission).

So although the whole process on a Pixel takes longer, the amount of time you absolutely can't use the phone is minimal in comparison.