Message sounds getting mixed up

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
For about a week or so, I've noticed that some of my messages coming through are playing the wrong notification sound. When I go in to check it, it's got the correct one associated with it.

It's really weird because when it's happened before the actual notification was changed. Now it's just playing the wrong sound.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For about a week or so, I've noticed that some of my messages coming through are playing the wrong notification sound. When I go in to check it, it's got the correct one associated with it.

It's really weird because when it's happened before the actual notification was changed. Now it's just playing the wrong sound.

Google edited the default sounds recently.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean you set custom notification tones for specific conversations, and those are the ones not sounding correctly? What if you change the notification tones for those conversations, and then change them back to what you want?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean you set custom notification tones for specific conversations, and those are the ones not sounding correctly? What if you change the notification tones for those conversations, and then change them back to what you want?

Yes, sound notifications that Ive been using for years and set for different message sounds; normal, friends, sister, parents etc. are not coming through as set. Ill hear a notification for a regular text but it turns out its from someone Ive set a personal sound with. Then when I go into the notification setting, its still got the personal sound set, it didnt change. The phone is just randomly playing whatever message sound it wants from different incoming texts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so try changing the tones for those specific conversation threads to something else, then change them back again to your preferred tone (i.e., trying to see if this resets things), and see if the problem persists.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so try changing the tones for those specific conversation threads to something else, then change them back again to your preferred tone (i.e., trying to see if this resets things), and see if the problem persists.
Once I play the sound that's supposed to be the correct sound it stays that way. But then another one will randomly change.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Weird. Try clearing the app cache of the Messages app and Force Stop it, then open it again.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
These custom or stock ?
Custom sounds. It never plays a stock sound, just one of the other custom sounds in my audio notification folder. However, when I check the notification settings for that person, the correct sound is always in there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Custom sounds. It never plays a stock sound, just one of the other custom sounds in my audio notification folder. However, when I check the notification settings for that person, the correct sound is always in there.

Try copying to ringtone folder also see if it sticks

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Try copying to ringtone folder also see if it sticks
Do you keep your notifications in your ringtone folder? I've been using the same audio folder with sub folders ringtones and notifications, since the Nexus days.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Do you keep your notifications in your ringtone folder? I've been using the same audio folder with sub folders ringtones and notifications, since the Nexus days.

Tell you the truth not anymore i get so many calls the noise is annoying i keep my phone on vibrate or ear buds especially i have my phones for work , but with with new Andriod versions changing things give it a try or choose a stock see if it changes

Last edited: