Microphone not on?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to use the Merlin Bird App on my 3T and it cannot hear the birds. I can't find a setting to make sure the microphone is on. Is there one? Also, Merlin suggested turning off Google Assistant as a fix but I have done that and it did not help. Thanks!

Update: I have since determined that the microphone is either not on, or not working so I need some help trouble shooting that. I opened gmail on the phone and gave gmail permission to access the microphone. Then I tried voice entry and nothing is picked up and transcribed. So even gmail cannot hear. I can't find any settings related to the microphone. Does anyone have suggestions what to try? Thanks.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to your system settings and look for the Permission Manager. Then select Microphone. Do the apps in question have permission to access the mic?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do have microphone permission on for both Merlin and Gmail. But when I use the microphone in Gmail and speak after the beep and "Speak now" prompt, nothing happens. Maybe the microphone hardware is broken... I just want to be sure I have tried everything to make sure the microphone is on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to make phone calls (or is this a wi-fi only device)? If you can make phone calls, then you know that at least the primary mic at the bottom of the phone is functional. But if you change it to speakerphone and people can't hear you, then the secondary mic (at the top of the phone) may have failed. The secondary mic is often used for other apps, so that might be an explanation.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to make phone calls (or is this a wi-fi only device)? If you can make phone calls, then you know that at least the primary mic at the bottom of the phone is functional. But if you change it to speakerphone and people can't hear you, then the secondary mic (at the top of the phone) may have failed. The secondary mic is often used for other apps, so that might be an explanation.
Thanks. It is Wi-Fi only so not sure how I could test that. Phone does not seem to have wi-fi calling although I have never used that so not sure how it works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can also test by taking a video with sound, then playing the video back while wearing headphones. If you only hear sound in one channel, then you know that one of the microphones is either blocked or faulty.

Reactions: J Dubbs and Will_T

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can also test by taking a video with sound, then playing the video back while wearing headphones. If you only hear sound in one channel, then you know that one of the microphones is either blocked or faulty.
I just recorded a couple of videos. All seems OK as it is recording and the file says it is saved after I stop. However, when I go to the media and try to play the video, the time shows as zero seconds rather than the 20 or 30 seconds it should. Pressing play gives a message that the video could not be played.

I also tried using Recorder to record a couple audio files. Those are also saved and when I try to play them a very short clip with no sound plays, (about 1 or 2 seconds at most). This in despite that I recorded both audio files at 15 or 20 seconds.

So that is an issue for sure although it may not be related to the microphone since even with a bad microphone, it should have still saved and played back the video. And probably also the audio files. Weird.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
That's strange. You're not even able to play back the video in the Gallery app?
That's correct. The videos seemed to be recording for 30 seconds or so and when I stopped, it said it saved them. I see them in the Gallery but they show as being 0.00 seconds long and if I try to play them, it says "the video could not be played".

Almost the exact same thing happens using the Recorder app. Even though I record for 20 or 30 seconds, when I play them back, they only play for 1 or 2 seconds with no sound.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's a good thing to be mindful of. But you can only cover something in so much duct tape, and 7 years is a very llong time to expect reliable service from a phone.
This is one of my old phones. I currently have an S22 Ultra and before that a Pixel which I no longer have. I want to use this phone only to carry on my backpack strap to use for the previously mentioned Merlin app. That is its only purpose, so I was hoping to avoid having to buy a newer phone just for that single use. Ironic that the only thing besides wifi that I need to use it for this is the microphone.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
So, on another note can anyone recommend a used phone to look for to use as I described. Screen size up to about 5.5" is OK. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek