Question Mobile Data on Android...

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi all:

I've looked for the answer and can't find it. With my Android Motorola 5G UW phone (it'll be a year old in less than two months, sadly), I have it selected where the mobile data on my phone is automatically switched whenever Wi-Fi isn't available, but it won't work and I've no idea why. Please help, I always appreciate it and I've included a pic of the area where the problem is.

- Ang

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628-204848-461.png
    Screenshot_20230628-204848-461.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ohhh, so you're saying I should have it in 'Safe Mode' when I'm somewhere where there's either no Wi-Fi or it's very poor?🙏🛐
Right, to test it out. See if the phone properly hands off from wi-fi to mobile data when wi-fi signal is very weak or absent while in Safe Mode. If it works correctly, that suggests something you installed is causing the problem (since that something would've been disabled by Safe Mode). If you boot back into normal mode (which is a simple reboot), and it no longer hands off to mobile data properly, that confirms the issue.

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Right, to test it out. See if the phone properly hands off from wi-fi to mobile data when wi-fi signal is very weak or absent while in Safe Mode. If it works correctly, that suggests something you installed is causing the problem (since that something would've been disabled by Safe Mode). If you boot back into normal mode (which is a simple reboot), and it no longer hands off to mobile data properly, that confirms the issue.
Well, I feel I did exactly what you had suggested and I don't think it worked. Maybe, my phone's a lemon, I certainly wouldn't be surprised.🙄🤢😞🥺 The first pic is right after I restart the phone in 'Safe Mode', the second is when I see if the 'Data' is active after I have it in 'Safe Mode' where there's no signal and nothing worked, and the last one is right after I get out of 'Safe Mode' and it's back to normal (it comes up as 'Airplane Mode' right after restart).

Screenshot_20230731-130709-686.pngPicsart_23-07-31_17-12-42-858.jpgPicsart_23-07-31_17-13-44-258.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that while you were in Safe Mode, you tested to see if the phone successfully handed off from wi-fi to mobile data when wi-fi was weak or nonexistent?

Also, does it go into Airplane Mode by default, even in Safe Mode? That's not normal behavior.

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Are you saying that while you were in Safe Mode, you tested to see if the phone successfully handed off from wi-fi to mobile data when wi-fi was weak or nonexistent?

Also, does it go into Airplane Mode by default, even in Safe Mode? That's not normal behavior.
From what I remember, yes and I couldn't access FB. Yes, it went right to 'Airplane Mode' while in 'Safe Mode'. Like I've said, I wouldn't be surprised or shocked if mine's a lemon.😞💔

I've just tried seeing if the data would work when I turned the Wi-Fi off on my phone and it looks like it's working, but that doesn't count, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A couple other things you could try:

1. Try the Reset Network Settings option: https://en-gb.support.motorola.com/...0982/~/reset-network-settings---motorola-edge

2. If that doesn't help, then the last resort would be a factory reset -- make sure any important data on your phone is backed up or synced somewhere before you do this.

If neither of those steps help, then we've tried pretty much everything. Your issue is a significant flaw in functionality, since most people will keep wi-fi turned on, and expect the phone to hand off to mobile data whenever wi-fi isn't strong enough, so I would definitely contact Motorola.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site

1. Try the Reset Network Settings option: https://en-gb.support.motorola.com/...0982/~/reset-network-settings---motorola-edge

2. If that doesn't help, then the last resort would be a factory reset -- make sure any important data on your phone is backed up or synced somewhere before you do this.

If neither of those steps help, then we've tried pretty much everything. Your issue is a significant flaw in functionality, since most people will keep wi-fi turned on, and expect the phone to hand off to mobile data whenever wi-fi isn't strong enough, so I would definitely contact Motorola.
I see what you're saying and understand. As always, thank you SOOO MUCH for your help and time! It really means so much to me.(y):giggle:🙏

Reactions: B. Diddy

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site

I just talked to Motorola and they said if the signal is poor and there's no Wi-Fi, then the 'Mobile Data' won't work. Is that supposed to happen?

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I just talked to Motorola and they said if the signal is poor and there's no Wi-Fi, then the 'Mobile Data' won't work. Is that supposed to happen?
Well yes, if there if no wifi and the network signal is poor or non-existant, then Mobile Data won't work or will be spotty at best. But I didn't think that was the problem you were describing. Do you live in a poor reception area? If so, you may be able to get a free signal booster (also known as Femtocell or microCell) from your carrier. In fact, if you're on AT&T, I have a microCell you can have for the cost of shipping it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As Mr. Lucky said, this would make sense if your cell signal is poor as well. Is it?

If you turn off wi-fi, are you able to make calls and browse the web using your cell signal/mobile data? If so, then what the Moto rep said doesn't make sense.

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Well yes, if there if no wifi and the network signal is poor or non-existant, then Mobile Data won't work or will be spotty at best. But I didn't think that was the problem you were describing. Do you live in a poor reception area? If so, you may be able to get a free signal booster (also known as Femtocell or microCell) from your carrier. In fact, if you're on AT&T, I have a microCell you can have for the cost of shipping it.
I honestly didn't think it even mattered regarding not naturally having either services. I thought the unlimited data from the phone plan would "kick in" when there's no reception or Wi-Fi available. Yes, sadly, there's no signal where I live, but we do have a 'Verizon Booster' that makes the signal stronger.
As Mr. Lucky said, this would make sense if your cell signal is poor as well. Is it?

If you turn off wi-fi, are you able to make calls and browse the web using your cell signal/mobile data? If so, then what the Moto rep said doesn't make sense.
No, I can't use anything on my phone when there's no Wi-Fi or signal, at all. Even when Wi-Fi's turned off, nothing works.

I'm so sorry to have confused you, that wasn't my intention.:(:cautious:😣

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that explains everything. If you have really poor cell reception, then you're pretty much relying on wi-fi. It doesn't matter if the phone tries to hand off from wi-fi to mobile data if the mobile data signal is extremely weak or nonexistent.

Angie Rose Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Ok, that explains everything. If you have really poor cell reception, then you're pretty much relying on wi-fi. It doesn't matter if the phone tries to hand off from wi-fi to mobile data if the mobile data signal is extremely weak or nonexistent.
So, the unlimited data plan is of no help when there's little to no service or Wi-Fi available? I always thought that that's what it was also used for. Ugh, my bad. 😣 :( :rolleyes:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So, the unlimited data plan is of no help when there's little to no service or Wi-Fi available? I always thought that that's what it was also used for. Ugh, my bad. 😣 :( :rolleyes:
Right, unlimited data is assuming you can get a signal. If you have poor or no signal in your area, all you can do is let them know and hope they place a new cell tower in your area to improve the signal.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So, the unlimited data plan is of no help when there's little to no service or Wi-Fi available? I always thought that that's what it was also used for. Ugh, my bad. :( :rolleyes:
Right, unlimited data is assuming you can get a signal. If you have poor or no signal in your area, all you can do is let them know and hope they place a new cell tower in your area to improve the signal.
Or the other option is to find out from your neighbours if another carrier has a better signal in your area and change to that carrier.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29