Solved Mobile Network Standby battery usage on a Wi-Fi only device

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I recently bought a cheap phone from Best Buy, a 2022 Moto G Stylus, just to use as a "wi-fi / around the house only" device. No SIM in it. Although battery life has been OK, it could be better. I was surprised to see that most of my battery is being used up by "mobile network standby" as per the battery usage stats. Android 12 requires this app to be "optimized" and not "restricted". I have "mobile data always active" switched off in developer settings. Is there anything else I can do to stop the battery drain from this app which I don't need?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Modern devices running more recent versions of Android will actually keep wi-fi on when Airplane Mode is turned on. But if wi-fi is turned off with Airplane Mode (as happens on older versions of Android), you can always turn that (as well as Bluetooth) back on. If you're just putting the phone to sleep each time, it should stay in Airplane Mode upon reawakening. I think most devices would also remember to stay in Airplane Mode even if you power off completely, but I haven't tested that recently.

Reactions: Ben_70