Mock Locations...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
In the settings/developers options settings i see allow mock locations. What exactly does enabling this do? In some roms I load it is set by default in others it's not.
Just curious about what it does and how do you use it?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
In the settings/developers options settings i see allow mock locations. What exactly does enabling this do? In some roms I load it is set by default in others it's not.

Mock locations I believe is just a development tool. I assume its for a PC emulator where u don't have a GPS device really built in. I am pretty sure it doesn't just allow u to choose where you want to be listed as located. ie, just cause i turn this on doesn't mean i can fake out the system into thinking that I am in Afghanistan when I am in California.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Mock locations I believe is just a development tool. I assume its for a PC emulator where u don't have a GPS device really built in. I am pretty sure it doesn't just allow u to choose where you want to be listed as located. ie, just cause i turn this on doesn't mean i can fake out the system into thinking that I am in Afghanistan when I am in California.

I didn't think that it was for faking your location. I can see there is no setup or ways to configure. All you can do is either enable or disable. Just wondering why on some roms it is defaulted as enabled. And just wondering if there was a reason behind it.

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
You can fake yohr location with mock locations. I can't remember what its called but there is an app on the Market that lets u do that.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

Look_Sir...Droids.

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I too want to know what this option does. On my droid bionic, there's a setting that can be checked or unchecked that says "Mock Locations" but doesn't explain anything more about it.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is that with an app, you can fake your location. Kinda like the app that lets you fake your country so you can access other google play markets. Why would one want to fake a location? Well, if one were a St. Louis Cardinals baseball fan, if your phone believed you were in Texas instead of Oklahoma, you could get those blacked out feeds on MLB.com. Just an example.

acidiumsix

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes but...why would this be a built in option on your phone? Surely it wasn't an option installed on ones phone for the sole purpose of downloading some cheap app that merely fakes our location. So there must be more to it. Those apps are not usefull enuff to have some pre-existing feature built into our phones to enable their use....I'm guessing everyone who's answered so far was...guessing! SO THE QUESTION STANDS...WHY IS IT THERE?

acidiumsix

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing is...the more I search for the answer the more cheap guessing I encounter...there's not one answer that I've found so far where the person responding to the question doesn't indicate that his answer is mere speculation..nobody willing to say with confidence.."it is ~this~ and its purpose is ~this~ and ~this~ is why or how you acomplish ~this~ with it"! Bummer!

Trimesh

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
In the Android emulator supplied with the SDK, there is a built-in location simulator - but this is not available on real devices and instead the system provides a set of API hooks (LocationManager.addTestProvider(), LocationManager.setTestProviderLocation() ) to allow you send simulated location data to the location system.

The "Allow Mock Locations" checkbox enables the use of these calls - on the early releases of Android (< 2.0 ?) this was all you needed to do, but in current versions you also have to request the "android.permission.ACCESS_MOCK_LOCATION" permission in your app manifest.

gfvalvo

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I use Mock Locations with the Bluetooth GPS app. It allows me to use an external, WAAS-enabled, Bluetooth GPS receiver to provide other apps with my location. I'm a General Aviation pilot and this runs my navigation apps, much more accurate and reliable than the tablet's built-in GPS.

nightwing150

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I stumbled upon this:
android-mock-gps - GPS location emulator for changing/setting/simulating the GPS location - Google Project Hosting

It DOES allow you to change your gps location! Apk's, screenshots, & code here...:

android mock gps is a GPS location emulator for changing/setting/simulating the GPS location of the Android emulator/device through a simple map-based interface. You can add the location to Favorites.

This app sets up mock GPS location so every other app in your phone belive you are there!

This app allow you call its interface in other app by sending a broadcast. Look the detail below.

Note

Disable "Use wireless networks" in Setting/Location of your phone since some apps use it too Always run MockGPS before running other apps to be mocked otherwise they will use the default GPS sensor instead of MockGPS's. Check your android settings: Settings->Applications->Development->Allow mock locations, make sure this item is checked.

Open interface

Copy the following code in order to start/end mock gps in your app.

Intent intent = new Intent("com.tim.apps.mockgps.startmock"); intent.putExtra("name", name); intent.putExtra("lat", lat); intent.putExtra("lng", lng); intent.putExtra("bearing", 10.0f); intent.putExtra("accuracy", 5.0f); intent.putExtra("speed", 30.0f); ctx.sendBroadcast(intent);

AgniWorld

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Download the following app frm google play.. "Catch me if u can".. it actually allows u to fake ur location..
N in order to use this app u need to turn on 'mock location' from developers option. .

Earl Brown1

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes but...why would this be a built in option on your phone? Surely it wasn't an option installed on ones phone for the sole purpose of downloading some cheap app that merely fakes our location. So there must be more to it. Those apps are not usefull enuff to have some pre-existing feature built into our phones to enable their use....I'm guessing everyone who's answered so far was...guessing! SO THE QUESTION STANDS...WHY IS IT THERE?

mschhimwalk

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
IT IS THERE in developer options. And it is a tool which allow us, specially developers to fake our location just for debug our location aware apps by sitting on the same chair while checking weather our apps functionality (truly based on user location) working fine or not? Just suppose you make an application like Uber or Retail geofencing funtionality type app , is it possible to for developers to test and verify the functionality by roaming arround the cities, or even country if it is a global application. Surely not. That's why Android framework provide you mock your locations, specially a developers option. That's why it is a developer option not a simple android user option. I hope you understand now , Why is it there?

RmoYt2

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site

I have an s5 and when im in developer options when i turn on mock location it just turns off by itself

Joel D-k

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site

"Mock locations" is a developer tool for testing gps capabilities witour having to move around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter