Most Important: Hardware or Software?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
One of the great things about the Google/Android system is the selection of hardware. Hardware seems to be what the majority of discussions are around.

For me, though, software/services are most important. My Google account, for me, is the gateway to accomplishing so many different things and how Android executes it all is paramount. More important than picture quality or speakers or anything else hardware focused. Pixel, right now, executes the software so smoothly and the main reason I think it's the best phone for me right now.

I do know, however, that software isn't AS important as hardware to others. I am curious about when others choose their technology what's most important in driving their decision.

I understand both are important, but what's most important to you?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel like, while I do care about software, hardware is more of a literal selling point for me. Not just the aesthetics of the phone - and I'll be looking at it from 1-2 years, so I need to like what it looks like! - but especially battery and display.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I feel like, while I do care about software, hardware is more of a literal selling point for me. Not just the aesthetics of the phone - and I'll be looking at it from 1-2 years, so I need to like what it looks like! - but especially battery and display.

I can understand that. My brother is committed to phones with expandable storage (SD card is a MUST!) and a removable battery. If a device doesn't have those things, there's nothing else to talk about as far as he's concerned. I think he's currently carrying a MOTO, but I'm not sure what model.

I don't even consider either.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hardware is the most important to me, in particular a device that's supported on Verizon so I can keep/use my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Second hardware requirement is a device with at least a 5.7" QHD flat screen, a user-replaceable battery (a feature I use/rely on virtually every day) and a S Pen (Note 4 is the only device that meets my requirements). Software is entirely secondary to me as it can usually be changed especially if root access is available. :)

I can see the importance of everything you listed. The Unlimited Data plan would be big for me too! The only issue I ever had with Samsung was the bloat. I usually get a 32gb phone and cloud everything! I have a little over 100 apps on my Pixel and I've used not quite 14gb, so I have room to spare.

Really interesting list of requirements. It's pretty specific on hardware.. Damn nice!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand that. My brother is committed to phones with expandable storage (SD card is a MUST!) and a removable battery. If a device doesn't have those things, there's nothing else to talk about as far as he's concerned. I think he's currently carrying a MOTO, but I'm not sure what model.

I don't even consider either.

... How did I forget about the removable battery thing!! ;) That is a must. My Honor 8 doesn't have one - that is its only "con" in my book.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using Nexus 6P, 6 and 5x, so I'd lean toward software being more important. One of the main reasons I preferred the Alcatel idol 3 over the LG G4 was the idol 3 running very lightly skinned Android. Wouldn't want a phone with 6P hardware that only could use Asus Zen UI, Huawei EMUI or LG UX.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently using Nexus 6P, 6 and 5x, so I'd lean toward software being more important. One of the main reasons I preferred the Alcatel idol 3 over the LG G4 was the idol 3 running very lightly skinned Android. Wouldn't want a phone with 6P hardware that only could use Asus Zen UI, Huawei EMUI or LG UX.

Lightly skinned .. I with ya on that! The Nextbit Robin is moving in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus line is great! I definitely get what you're saying about software. The Nexus 5 was my introduction to Android and to stock Google, and I really enjoyed it!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hardware is the most important to me, in particular a device that's supported on Verizon so I can keep/use my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Second hardware requirement is a device with at least a 5.7" QHD flat screen, a user-replaceable battery (a feature I use/rely on virtually every day) and a S Pen (Note 4 is the only device that meets my requirements). Software is entirely secondary to me as it can usually be changed especially if root access is available. :)

You mean your Verizon 200 GB plan ;).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Haha! Yup, technically it may not be "unlimited" anymore (since they're cracking down on high data abusers) but might as well be for me as I've never gone over 50GB in a month. Not to mention any of their newer plans would still cost more than staying on this old one and would have a data cap far lower. So I have zero incentive to give up the grandfathered plan. :)
Same boat for me with my grandfathered plan.. I'll keep it till forced off :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One of the great things about the Google/Android system is the selection of hardware. Hardware seems to be what the majority of discussions are around.

For me, though, software/services are most important. My Google account, for me, is the gateway to accomplishing so many different things and how Android executes it all is paramount. More important than picture quality or speakers or anything else hardware focused. Pixel, right now, executes the software so smoothly and the main reason I think it's the best phone for me right now.

I do know, however, that software isn't AS important as hardware to others. I am curious about when others choose their technology what's most important in driving their decision.

I understand both are important, but what's most important to you?
I'd say both. When you have good hardware put together with optimized software .. it's an awesome thing. The Pixel XL I use is an example of this.. fast,fluid, great battery, etc.

I wish more manufacturers would try and marry the two .. great hardware with software to match and bam. We all get spoiled with slick, smooth, and fast phones ;).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'd say both. When you have good hardware put together with optimized software .. it's an awesome thing. The Pixel XL I use is an example of this.. fast,fluid, great battery, etc.

I wish more manufacturers would try and marry the two .. great hardware with software to match and bam. We all get spoiled with slick, smooth, and fast phones ;).

Indeed, BUT... Which is MOST important to you?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Oh yeah he says a lot. I am lazy :p.

Haha... Okay, okay ... let me get back on topic.

You're point is very valid for sure. I don't want to seem dismissive of hardware, because I know when I am in the market for a new device, my thoughts go to how well does it work. However, some of the things that are important to other users never crosses my mind.

Speakers for example, I use headphones or bluetooth for listening to music or something I really want to hear. When the Pixel, a lot of people brought up the design, the half glass back etc ... Never crossed my mind as any kind of deal breaker. BUT tell me some app or any kind of software, Android Pay for example, isn't compatible with a device and already moving on to next on the list.

I guess with this post, I'm hoping to get the thoughts from others about what drives their thinking. For example, many have expressed the Pixel is too boring/bland for them to even consider and I think it's interesting that a hardware aesthetic like that can be primary for some users.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The overall look of a phone doesn't matter to me at all. I do care how comfortable it is to hold and how confident I feel holding it that it's not gonna slip out of my hands. I remember when the Moto X 2015 came out I picked one up in the store and it wasn't something I could get used to. The software nav buttons were too low so I felt like I was going to drop it every time I reached my thumb down. I currently use an LG G4 and love the overall feel and balance of it. It is one of the most comfortable phones to hold.
I also care about having an SD card slot. Other than that, as long as you buy a flagship made within the past year or two, the hardware will be more than adequate. When I look at the new phones being released, there's not a lot that impresses me. I want a good camera, long battery life, good screen, SD card slot and software that is kept up to date. I feel like a 5.5" screen size is the sweet spot for me. Honestly, I wish that more OEMs allowed the user to scale back the resolution on phones to save battery life the way that Samsung does. This feature alone makes me seriously consider the S8.

I've always felt like software can be altered or changed. Or at least it used to be easy to back in the days when it was easy to throw a custom ROM on most any phone. I do feel like software is now at the point where it's no longer necessary to use custom ROMs to gain a certain feature. A phone that strikes that happy balance of hardware and software features, to me is the perfect phone. Most of the time, though, I'm willing to sacrifice software features where I'm less apt to compromise on hardware. So hardware just ekes out software for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hardware has to be important or you get poorly calibrated displays, tiny batteries, noncompliant charging solutions, etc. But software is MUCH more important, because that's where all of your user experience is concentrated and that's where the almost all of your user security rests. You need both, but software has more mission critical components.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You need both to be truly great. If you have a great battery but the software isn't optimized well...Then it doesn't matter much. Same can be said for a great software setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63