Most PROTECTIVE Case or Case/Screen Protector Combo for Note 8?

adntigger710

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys! I have done over 30+ hours of research into cases, protectors, and their compatibility, and I'm sad to see that manufacturers are really having a hard time with the curved screens. They also seem to all be trying to go the minimalist route. It's an almost $1000 phone. I want protection! Well, I need it. I'm absent-minded (plus ADHD), I've got an insane 5 yr old, and my fiance (the worst of us all) also needs something super protective -- he's got ADHD and a blue collar job where he's constantly dropping the phone on concrete, sometimes off the (very high) back of a truck or down the stairs (yes, really).

Every "rugged" case I see has many reviews that say something along the lines of "dropped off my table, 3ft, cracked the screen". That's not rugged, that's absurd. This, and worse, happens to my phone at minimum 3 times on a daily. I just threw my Note 4 in it's Otterbox Defender across the garage, landing on the cement floor, to make this point to a friend a few hrs ago. "They don't make 'em like they used to" is an understatement. Doesn't help that they designed this phone even more fragile than its predecessors. I'm screwed here.

The only rugged case so far that I haven't seen cracked screen reviews are for the UAG Monarch.

Cons:

$60 (not usually a huge deal but when you add the below)
Not "really" compatible with the Whitestone Dome (it is, but the reviewer says you need a "perfect" install in his spreadsheet, which I doubt will happen on my end)
**Only 4ft drop protection

I'm kinda set on that Whitestone Dome -- it's the best option for the screen out there, and that's pretty much the most important part of the phone. Even if it worked, that'd be over $100 just on phone protection (remember, for TWO phones) and stilll only 4 ft protection.

Something I (shockingly) seem to like -- the minimalistic Rhino Crashguard. The Youtube drop vids have it holding up INCREDIBLY nicely. It's only $25, and has an 11 foot drop rating -- almost 3 TIMES that of the UAG. Cons:

No back protection (and that's glass too, as you know)

Thinking of pairing the Crashguard with the Whitestone, but that still leaves the back glass completely out there.

- Any ideas on how to (sufficiently) protect the back? Not just a skin - impact protection?

- Does anyone have this combo? Does it fit? How's it working, do you like it?

- What is everyone else who needs a really protective case using and how is it holding up to dropping etc?

Seriously considered:

Otterbox Defender
Speck Presidio Grip
Unicorn Beetle Pro
Tech21 Evo Tactical

They all had minimal screen protection, cracked screens from a small drop, and/or cracked Dome from small drop, etc.

My Note 8 is here and currently sitting in a box until I can get this figured out. My fiance is walking around with his in an Otterbox w no screen protection because he has no patience. =) Appreciate any insight/help you guys can provide so I can sort this out ASAP. Thanks!

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Hands down the most protective case is the OtterBox Defender, the trade off is it's bulkier than other cases. Personally I don't use a screen protector with mine and I am pretty rough with my phone, I use it in the gym a lot. It has the highest lip protection of any case which will protect the screen from most (not all) front screen drops. I don't use the included belt clip however if you do that gives you another layer of protection especially for the screen

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
look into the Zizo brand cases they have some amazing specs and all come with a screen protector that on mine actually works and works well. the case is solid and I've seen people throw this case across the room without as much as a scratch on anything including the case.. hands down one of the toughest cases available for the Note 8.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
look into the Zizo brand cases they have some amazing specs and all come with a screen protector that on mine actually works and works well. the case is solid and I've seen people throw this case across the room without as much as a scratch on anything including the case.. hands down one of the toughest cases available for the Note 8.

Attachments

• 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 291

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I've got the tech 21 tactical case and I've like it so far. Can't say that I've dropped it yet, thank God, but seems like a good case. I had a protector for my screen but it wasn't a good one so I actually removed that a week ago. I've seen reviews with the tech 21 tactical and the Whitestone dome protector so those are compatible.

I was actually thinking of doing the same set up you mentioned, Whitestone dome, rhinoshield and some skin for the back. 2 of the 3 are in my Amazon cart...just haven't pulled trigger yet. I'm not a huge fan of protectors or cases so I typically like to keep my cases as thin as possible while still having some amount of protection.

adntigger710

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Edit: apologies for the wonky "links" I can't put a single link or photo in without exceeding site threshold. WHY mods? This is happening for every post of mine =(

naturalguy -- defender has been my go-to pretty much since smartphones came out, aside from my first which was in a griffin survivor. I wasn't even in the market, I went to purchase them and saw all of the reviews about cracked screens. I get it, seems the bezel might not be high enough on the tops to account for lack of side coverage. I love the defender but those reviews make me nervous.

Kendahl -- thanks, I'll look into those!

creekwater -- yeah, it seems like, somehow, the best protection with minimal bulk. I went back on their website and it looks like they brought the super high hammer-smashable impact protector for the iphone to the Note 8 for the back. They had previously skipped doing this for the S8 and S8+. So, looks like with the bumper, impact protective back and whitestone dome, it may turn out to be the most protective, yet minimal, setup to get for the Note 8. Best part: if you buy the bumper via their website you get the back protector half off ($9.99) and can sign up for their newsletter and get 10% off on top of that (free shipping over $40 so I threw a 6ft ipad cable in my cart.) Looks like the bumper, protector and a 6ft lightning cable is coming to $45 free shipping.

This guy has the whitestone dome w the bumper and a skin, looks like it all fits nicely.
Video name "Galaxy Note 8 Rhinoshield CrashGuard Bumper Review and "Small" drop test" youtube identifier: rfCGbkfH-j8

EBP man has exactly what I'm talking about - bumper, whitestone dome, and shows the install for the back protector. Video name "Rhinoshield Bumper Case, Back Protector & Tempered Glass Screen Protector" youtube identifier: zepwkFmbRNE

Check out the back protector product page (can't link it), there's a video showing how tough it is, but there are a bunch of videos online of people smashing it with a hammer and other sorts of shenanigans (on the iphone as it was first invented for that).

Really leaning towards that setup. Just nervous as I've NEVER used "just a bumper" (even though it's not just a bumper, lol.)

KateBeckett

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my UAG Monarch. I haven't actually dropped the phone yet but the case feels very solid in hand and is very grippy. I just feel very comfortable with it, and it doesn't add much bulk. I guess it all depends on priorities, though. The Defender is probably more protective but I just can't rock something that huge. Even the Commuter is bulkier than the Monarch.

adntigger710

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my UAG Monarch. I haven't actually dropped the phone yet but the case feels very solid in hand and is very grippy. I just feel very comfortable with it, and it doesn't add much bulk. I guess it all depends on priorities, though. The Defender is probably more protective but I just can't rock something that huge. Even the Commuter is bulkier than the Monarch.

Thanks Kate! That's what we are leaning towards for my fiance's phone, hopfully it'll help protect it from all the drops his phone is going to endure.

countrydirt

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Just ordered an Otterbox Commuter. Currently have a little no-name clear case on and it just makes me a little nervous. My phone fell out of my pocket the other day and sacrificed the screen protector - for which I am very happy - and I know it is just a matter of time before something catastrophic happens with my handling of the phone, so going to up my protection level.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I am happy with this screen slash rugged case.. and a reviewer says you can remove the attached plastic cover and rock the white dome with it..
cupcake unicorn beetle

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Slight update to my earlier post. Installed the Whitestone dome on Monday. So far have been very pleased. Super clear, very responsive, great coverage on the screen. Time will tell. I do believe my next step will be the rhino crash guard and perhaps their clear cover for the back to help with scratches.

lady of the lake

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys! I have done over 30+ hours of research into cases, protectors, and their compatibility, and I'm sad to see that manufacturers are really having a hard time with the curved screens. They also seem to all be trying to go the minimalist route. It's an almost $1000 phone. I want protection! Well, I need it. I'm absent-minded (plus ADHD), I've got an insane 5 yr old, and my fiance (the worst of us all) also needs something super protective -- he's got ADHD and a blue collar job where he's constantly dropping the phone on concrete, sometimes off the (very high) back of a truck or down the stairs (yes, really).

Every "rugged" case I see has many reviews that say something along the lines of "dropped off my table, 3ft, cracked the screen". That's not rugged, that's absurd. This, and worse, happens to my phone at minimum 3 times on a daily. I just threw my Note 4 in it's Otterbox Defender across the garage, landing on the cement floor, to make this point to a friend a few hrs ago. "They don't make 'em like they used to" is an understatement. Doesn't help that they designed this phone even more fragile than its predecessors. I'm screwed here.

The only rugged case so far that I haven't seen cracked screen reviews are for the UAG Monarch.

Cons:

$60 (not usually a huge deal but when you add the below)
Not "really" compatible with the Whitestone Dome (it is, but the reviewer says you need a "perfect" install in his spreadsheet, which I doubt will happen on my end)
**Only 4ft drop protection

I'm kinda set on that Whitestone Dome -- it's the best option for the screen out there, and that's pretty much the most important part of the phone. Even if it worked, that'd be over $100 just on phone protection (remember, for TWO phones) and stilll only 4 ft protection.

Something I (shockingly) seem to like -- the minimalistic Rhino Crashguard. The Youtube drop vids have it holding up INCREDIBLY nicely. It's only $25, and has an 11 foot drop rating -- almost 3 TIMES that of the UAG. Cons:

No back protection (and that's glass too, as you know)

Thinking of pairing the Crashguard with the Whitestone, but that still leaves the back glass completely out there.

- Any ideas on how to (sufficiently) protect the back? Not just a skin - impact protection?

- Does anyone have this combo? Does it fit? How's it working, do you like it?

- What is everyone else who needs a really protective case using and how is it holding up to dropping etc?

Seriously considered:

Otterbox Defender
Speck Presidio Grip
Unicorn Beetle Pro
Tech21 Evo Tactical

They all had minimal screen protection, cracked screens from a small drop, and/or cracked Dome from small drop, etc.

My Note 8 is here and currently sitting in a box until I can get this figured out. My fiance is walking around with his in an Otterbox w no screen protection because he has no patience. =) Appreciate any insight/help you guys can provide so I can sort this out ASAP. Thanks!

I'm using a VRS Design Crystal Bumper Series Case with a Zizo screen protector. I have a few Zizo cases but prefer the VRS. Both cases are Military Grade Drop Tested but I personally have had 2 major drops on pavement with absolutely no damage to my Note 8. The glass screen protector didn't break either. The phone bounced off the top corner and then bounced off the bottom corner and finally landed on it's back. There are some slight scratches on the edges of the case's bumper but that's it. VRS used to be Versus and I had it on my S7Edge and never had a problem with multiple drops. It's a slim case and it works great with my wireless (Qi) charger.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I installed the Whitestone and it went perfectly! Looked awesome, great protection and no screen sensitivity issues. A few days later I noticed lint and dust collecting around the edges...looked awful Unfortunately the lint collects and sticks to the adhesive and it's impossible to clean off. I checked my buddies who had his on for a few weeks longer and it looked the same. Only difference is that he doesn't care....and I was pulling my hair out (OCD, Anal Retentive and Fussy!). I pulled it off today and went back to an IQ Shield non-glass protector. Something to consider if you go the Whitestone route.

Hello,
Thank you so much for great discussion on dome glass, and cases.
Our blog is what we known so far. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...-glass-compatibility-note-8%2F&token=CRxLACv9
Your information and experience would help us update and give more information to people who use dome glass.
Thanks again.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hands down the most protective case is the OtterBox Defender, the trade off is it's bulkier than other cases. Personally I don't use a screen protector with mine and I am pretty rough with my phone, I use it in the gym a lot. It has the highest lip protection of any case which will protect the screen from most (not all) front screen drops. I don't use the included belt clip however if you do that gives you another layer of protection especially for the screen
What about screen responsiveness with this Otterbox Defender case?

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What about screen responsiveness with this Zizo case?

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I've got the tech 21 tactical case and I've like it so far. Can't say that I've dropped it yet, thank God, but seems like a good case. I had a protector for my screen but it wasn't a good one so I actually removed that a week ago. I've seen reviews with the tech 21 tactical and the Whitestone dome protector so those are compatible.

I was actually thinking of doing the same set up you mentioned, Whitestone dome, rhinoshield and some skin for the back. 2 of the 3 are in my Amazon cart...just haven't pulled trigger yet. I'm not a huge fan of protectors or cases so I typically like to keep my cases as thin as possible while still having some amount of protection.
What about screen responsiveness with this Tech21 case?

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What about screen responsiveness with this UAG Monarch case?

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
What about screen responsiveness with this Tech21 case?
The tech 21 tactical case doesn't come with the screen protector built in so it wouldn't interfere with any screen responsiveness. I have liked the case so far since it offers protection without a ton of bulk. I've also been very happy with the Whitestone dome screen protector. Screen clarity not changed one bit and the responsiveness doesn't feel dampened at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter