Moto or Nexus? Why'd you get your Moto?

Def Tone

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I was going to get the Nexus 6P but a few things prevented that....
1. SD Card up to 128gb for the Moto. I bought a Samsung Evo 128gb card on Amazon for $50 on sale. I have approximately 150gb of storage for $349 and that makes it hands down the best bang for the buck across the board.
2. Price... I wasn't going to dish out that much for the same storage on the 6P. Picked up a Moto X Pure 32gb on Amazon for $349 on the day they had a 1 day Sale.
3. Moto Actions are definitely a blessing in disguise when I'm driving or can't grab my phone.
4. I can customize the look on the Moto X Pure to my liking.

Let's remember here folks. $349 for a device that I will upgrade in a year or two (upgrades are inevitable) is the right choice for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

crachor

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
At least for me, price was the deciding factor.

I've already had the moto maxx a couple years ago, so I like the way the pure does notification, and some of the gestures, like double-twist to open the camera, and chop twice to open the flashlight.
The memory card was the other main reason I got it, and 16gb on the base is OK, since I installed a 128gb card.
The grippy back is nice, and the screen can get really bright. Also, marshmallow is great, and moto/lenovo seems like they'll be keeping up with updates, at least for now.

I do wish it had a fingerprint reader, but for the price I paid, I'm happy with it over the 6p.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Been using the 6P for the past couple of days. The Moto is coming in a couple more. Looking forward to doing a side by side comparison. Was wondering tho, all the reviews I've watched on You Tube comparing the two always give the 6P extra points for better battery. I know it's a bit bigger, but the timing on these reviews was pre-marshmallow on the Moto when it was still running Lolly. So for those of you who had the Moto running Lollipop when it first released and now have the marshmallow update, do you feel the battery life has improved much? Is it significantly better, noticeably better? Battery life is the one thing that will be hard to gauge because I simply won't have both devices long enough to get a really accurate idea. Thanks for your input.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Nexus and Moto X line are very close as others have stated. The original moto g on verizon got kit kat first which surprised the hell out of everyone. Or was it the Moto X that got it. My first ever unlocked carrier free phone was the moto g. I've kept track of and loved moto x and moto g's software add ons. It's really hard to live without chop chop for flashlight, twist (and shout) for camera, and the QR scanner on the camera is something I love.

Things like reading text with drive mode is invaluable to some too and the text from your pc (killed with marshmallow though) and Moto Voice is really handy. Not everyone likes the nexus brand and concept and some find it to vanilla and boring. But most users love quick updates, clean and not laggy or bloated interface. That's why the moto line has been so popular and why some choose it over nexuses. Not having a 6P but having a 6 I do miss the AMOLED screen not being on the pure x. I love AMOLED again (SAMOLED?). That and Nexus Dialer is really useful as well as caller ID.

Although it's been stated before the differences are motorola's additions to the phone versus a phone that's designed by google and has certain (sometimes overlooked) google features. Some that are exclusive to both. And yes the SD card is really useful and with adoptable storage (works for the most part) it makes the pure x better. It's true there is some concern with lenovo but I believe for the most part that the pure line will still get updates. As for security updates (if that matters to you) that's debatable. The customization make the moto line a bit more special too. If I got a customized moto x I'd probably like it a bit more then my nexus 6. The Moto X Pure feels so much better to hold too and grip better as well. Although I'm probably not like others in saying that I actually really like that shamu isn't comfortable to hold but I still love it for some reason.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Been using the 6P for the past couple of days. The Moto is coming in a couple more. Looking forward to doing a side by side comparison. Was wondering tho, all the reviews I've watched on You Tube comparing the two always give the 6P extra points for better battery. I know it's a bit bigger, but the timing on these reviews was pre-marshmallow on the Moto when it was still running Lolly. So for those of you who had the Moto running Lollipop when it first released and now have the marshmallow update, do you feel the battery life has improved much? Is it significantly better, noticeably better? Battery life is the one thing that will be hard to gauge because I simply won't have both devices long enough to get a really accurate idea. Thanks for your input.
Doze, which available in Marshmallow, has really improved battery life for me on the MXPE.

I normally charge overnight, but I've kept my MXPE off the charger a few nights, and the battery only drained ~3% during the night.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nexus and Moto X line are very close as others have stated. The original moto g on verizon got kit kat first which surprised the hell out of everyone. Or was it the Moto X that got it.

It was the first gen Verizon Moto X that got KitKat even before some Nexus devices got the KitKat OTA.

But the Verizon Moto G (which is a prepaid device) also went from Jelly Bean to Lollipop which is surprising.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Got my Moto this morning, 5 days earlier than expected. Wow, It's scoring points already. Updated to Marshmallow and factory reset first thing. very smooth and really liking the overall feel. Really like being able to view which emails/texts and stuff with a touch right from the lock screen. The 6P had similar option but seems slow doing it and had to physically move the phone to activate which wasn't always consistently working anyway.
Going to be a tough decision between the two as both are awesome. I see why some keep both. Lol. And speed wise as far as opening things and apps is pretty much a dead nuts tie. Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Got my Moto this morning, 5 days earlier than expected. Wow, It's scoring points already. Updated to Marshmallow and factory reset first thing. very smooth and really liking the overall feel. Really like being able to view which emails/texts and stuff with a touch right from the lock screen. The 6P had similar option but seems slow doing it and had to physically move the phone to activate which wasn't always consistently working anyway.
Going to be a tough decision between the two as both are awesome. I see why some keep both. Lol. And speed wise as far as opening things and apps is pretty much a dead nuts tie. Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

I'm unsure how long the try, before return please is, for either, but if it takes you longer to pick one, you could always sell the other on swappa.com and get most of your money back.
Just sayin'....

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was going to get the Nexus 6P but a few things prevented that....
1. SD Card up to 128gb for the Moto. I bought a Samsung Evo 128gb card on Amazon for $50 on sale. I have approximately 150gb of storage for $349 and that makes it hands down the best bang for the buck across the board.
2. Price... I wasn't going to dish out that much for the same storage on the 6P. Picked up a Moto X Pure 32gb on Amazon for $349 on the day they had a 1 day Sale.
3. Moto Actions are definitely a blessing in disguise when I'm driving or can't grab my phone.
4. I can customize the look on the Moto X Pure to my liking.

Let's remember here folks. $349 for a device that I will upgrade in a year or two (upgrades are inevitable) is the right choice for me.

How did you get to customize your MXPE, from Amazon?
I got a 32GB, from the same sale and did not see a Moto Maker option.

Def Tone

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
How did you get to customize your MXPE, from Amazon?
I got a 32GB, from the same sale and did not see a Moto Maker option.
I didn't customize mine as I bought the White with Champagne trim through Amazon. I was just stating that the option was there through the Moto X website. I heard Motorola was having a parts shortage because these phones were selling like crazy. Sorry about the confusion. The White with Champagne trim was my choice as it will have the best resale value when I'm ready to upgrade.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm unsure how long the try, before return please is, for either, but if it takes you longer to pick one, you could always sell the other on swappa.com and get most of your money back.
Just sayin'....
Thanks, good info. Thought it was a 2 week time period, but interestingly enough when I applied for the RMA via their site they got back to me the next day with the info and labels for shipping and stuff I needed. Then it said I had a full 2 weeks from the date of that email. Surprised me as that would conceivably give someone a full month minus travel back time to them.
I sent it back today. One week was plenty enough time as awesome the 6P is the MXP is better for what I need. Both are great devices. Where the 6P lost points was the simple comfort of being on a longer call, I just got tired of holding it. The MXP was not an issue in this regard at all. Glad to have the moto and saved myself 100 bucks to boot.

Nelson Guerrero

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
why the nexus 5x over the Moto X pure edition? I am wondering because I just bought the Moto x pure edition but was also thinking of getting the nexus 5x. The 6p is too expensive.

I am looking at mostly the battery life. Is the nexus 5x better? because I had the nexus 6 and it was pretty bad for me.

KeyserS0ze

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I bought a MotoXP 64G in early October as my first Android Phone (had a Nexus 7 tablet already so familiar with android). I really was waiting for android phones to finally get iphone worthy cameras before I switched (wasn't interested in Samsung's phones.)

I really thought I'd need the expandable SD storage to store all my music and replace the old ipod classic 80G still chugging away in the armrest of my car. However, it turned out that using the phone to play music via bluetooth and using NAV/WAZE at the same time was sort of obnoxious, so the ipod remains and the phone runs NAV and phone in the car. So right now I have a phone with 192gb of storage on it including 119gb of music but I really could have just used a 64g with my apps/photos and 25% of my music catalog on my phone like I did with my prior Iphone 6.

I have T-Mobile so the wifi calling on my old Iphone 6 was key as their coverage is wonky so it's disappointing that the MotoXP isn't going to support it. I really like the MotoXP and since the update and after carefully managing apps and using greenify, my battery life has been great. The quick charging is also a great feature.

I'll switch to a Nexus 6p or whatever its replacement is later this year, along with changing carriers to Google Fi.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I got one because of the MicroSD slot. The "Moto" customizations are cool, too. The ability to have a Nexus-like experience but some other features is what took it over the top for me. Moto Maker was another reason.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
The micro SD slot, moto assist features, cheaper price point and moto maker sold me on it.
I have to say, being able to customize my phone swayed me more than it should have. I have the bamboo back w red accents and a black face and I love it! My phone is really pretty.
I didn't realize that with marshmallow, I wouldn't be able to move my apps to the SD card without adopting it as internal storage. Had I known that, I might have gone with a phone with more internal storage to begin with, but it's not the biggest deal.
Battery life seems the same to me w marshmallow except that I lose less battery overnight.
I guess overall, I still feel like you get a lot more bang for your buck with the XPE.
Oh, and something I didn't know before I bought it- the speakers on this phone are really good. It surprises me every time I use them.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
There is a definite difference also between the 6P's speakers. They are very good but don't have as rich, deep sound as the moto's. This was another plus for the mxp in my evaluation.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Moto X Pure just after launch and I'm totally satisfied.

There is just so much I love about this phone, really to much to list. The bottom line though is that it just works, all the time. That and the best battery life I've ever had on a phone.

dsstrainer

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my moto x because it was sub-5".. of course that was 2013 and while it was the best phone I've ever had, I've not bought one since they only make phablets now. Food for thought Moto.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I went moto because I don't trust LG or Huawei as designers or manufacturers for phones. Their reputation doesn't merit my money. Yes, having Nexus phones will help their standing in the market and their reputation. If they can incorporate these lessons, they may be worth my while in the future.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaibh