Moto X 2014 Moto X Play / Droid Turbo

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Currently have the moto x 2013 and I was basically ready to purchase the new moto x on AT&T until I started hearing rumors about the droid turbo. Loved the specs but didn't want to switch over. But now I'm hearing there's a variant going to t-mobile and AT&T under the name moto x play. I'm curious to hear what other people think about the idea of this. It'll basically be the same software same resolution bigger battery better processor with wireless charging. Biggest issue I've heard is battery life. Only advantage going with the moto x I see is the customization options. Anybody else read into this or considering the moto x play / Droid turbo?

nawadley

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X Play / Droid Turbo

I'm on Verizon and certainly considering the Turbo. In fact, it's the only reason I haven't ordered a Moto X yet.

The comparison is actually quite significant:

Positives - The Turbo has the same size screen but higher resolution, faster processor, more RAM, wireless charging (alongside the turbo charging that the X has), MUCH improved battery, higher resolution rear camera at 21 megapixels, and all the same software perks as the X.

Negatives - No customization of the body, added bloatware that Verizon is famous for, no barometer to assist with faster GPS lock, capacitive buttons instead of onscreen.

I'm sure more differences will become apparent as the Turbo is released (Oct. 28 at noon EST is the official announcement according to the Verizon website, New Droid Phone Coming Soon – Verizon Wireless). I'll be waiting anxiously, as the X looks amazing, and the Nexus 6 is too large for me, but with the crazy battery life of the Turbo, it'll be a close call.

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and certainly considering the Turbo. In fact, it's the only reason I haven't ordered a Moto X yet.

Positives - The Turbo has the same size screen but higher resolution, faster processor, more RAM, wireless charging (alongside the turbo charging that the X has), MUCH improved battery, higher resolution rear camera at 21 megapixels, and all the same software perks as the X.

Negatives - No customization of the body, added bloatware that Verizon is famous for, no barometer to assist with faster GPS lock, capacitive buttons instead of onscreen.

I'm sure more differences will become apparent as the Turbo is released (Oct. 28 at noon EST is the official announcement according to the Verizon website, New Droid Phone Coming Soon – Verizon Wireless). I'll be waiting anxiously, as the X looks amazing, and the Nexus 6 is too large for me, but with the crazy battery life of the Turbo, it'll be a close call.

I'm in the same exact boat just waiting on if indeed there will be an AT&T version. I was really close to pulling the trigger last night. I think I'll wait until the 28th and hopefully see if there's any more news on the moto x play.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Exact same sentiments from me. I am actually returning my newly purchased Moto X bc I am tired of charging midday and the Turbo seems perfect for my needs. I also considered the new Nexus, but like you, even a 5.2" screen is pushing it for my tastes.

Sent from Uranus

emg2014

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Exact same sentiments from me. I am actually returning my newly purchased Moto X bc I am tired of charging midday and the Turbo seems perfect for my needs. I also considered the new Nexus, but like you, even a 5.2" screen is pushing it for my tastes.

OK I don't mean this to come off rude in any way but how are you using the phone that you need to charge mid-day??? Are you in a place with no signal? Are you browsing the web continuously? Watching movies? I'm really just curious about the usage pattern.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

OK I don't mean this to come off rude in any way but how are you using the phone that you need to charge mid-day??? Are you in a place with no signal? Are you browsing the web continuously? Watching movies? I'm really just curious about the usage pattern.

Fair question, and I'm sorry, I didn't state that very well. I still haven't received my Moto X that I ordered on 9/30. I was actually referring to my current phone the Droid Razr M about having to charge midday (ever since Moto decided to update 4.4.2 without soak testing it). However, I do work in a low signal area,, use BT and WiFi all day, and would like 3-4 hours of screen-on time from my phone without having to disable every smart-phone feature (location, google now, moto assist, etc.)

Based on what I'm reading in the new Moto X battery life threads, it doesn't appear that it will meet my needs listed above. I really don't want to charge midday and many people who are using the X the way I will are already reporting having to charge midday or after work. The Turbo has all the software features of the Moto X plus about double the batter life so that is the winner for me.

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Has anybody heard when the GSM version of the phone is supposed to come out?

Posted via Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Excellent comparison list, but I would add one more negative (or it would be for me anyway): The Turbo is going to be a heavier phone than the Moto X and I believe it's a tiny tad longer in size.

dandrumheller

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I believe they are referring to the info here...

Moto X Play: AT&T and T-Mobile’s Quad HD Verizon Droid Turbo variant passes through the FCC : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

I was close to pulling the trigger on the Moto X 2014 last week (I'm currently on an LG Optimus G) but was struggling with the non-expandable 16GB onboard storage and not spectacular battery. While I prefer the on-screen keys to capacitive (to keep the total size as small as possible), 32GB storage, 3GB RAM and enormous battery more than offset that. I'll deal with a slightly bigger device, considering the other alternative is the way too big N6.

My biggest concern is that the ATT version will probably be heavily locked down, and I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling that there will be huge developer following for this device... It's gonna be hard for me to live without root. I like LMT, Xposed and custom ROM options.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

All the rumors are driven by this statement 'A new report from Android Face seems to indicate that a Motorola Droid Turbo variant will also make its way to AT&T and T-Mobile' in the report linked in the prior post. The important two words are seems to. A lot of things make it to the FCC and never to market. Droid products mirrored on US non-Verizon carriers have been few and far between in the past. None of us knows or will know what may or may not be marketed. But I would not bet the whole farm on a non-Verizon clone of the Droid Turbo.

But honestly part of the fun of these forums is all the dreams of the individuals posting.

dandrumheller

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

All the rumors are driven by this statement 'A new report from Android Face seems to indicate that a Motorola Droid Turbo variant will also make its way to AT&T and T-Mobile' in the report linked in the prior post. The important two words are seems to. A lot of things make it to the FCC and never to market. Droid products mirrored on US non-Verizon carriers have been few and far between in the past. None of us knows or will know what may or may not be marketed. But I would not bet the whole farm on a non-Verizon clone of the Droid Turbo.

But honestly part of the fun of these forums is all the dreams of the individuals posting.

Dammit BlueBlazer, stop trying to crush my dreams!! :)

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

You make an excellent point that despite the appearance at the FCC there's no guarantee.

That said, I think I read that Motorola recently trademarked "Moto Maxx" and that has also fueled speculation that the Turbo will be available outside of Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App

cjtraas

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I believe they are referring to the info here...

Moto X Play: AT&T and T-Mobile’s Quad HD Verizon Droid Turbo variant passes through the FCC : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

I was close to pulling the trigger on the Moto X 2014 last week (I'm currently on an LG Optimus G) but was struggling with the non-expandable 16GB onboard storage and not spectacular battery. While I prefer the on-screen keys to capacitive (to keep the total size as small as possible), 32GB storage, 3GB RAM and enormous battery more than offset that. I'll deal with a slightly bigger device, considering the other alternative is the way too big N6.

My biggest concern is that the ATT version will probably be heavily locked down, and I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling that there will be huge developer following for this device... It's gonna be hard for me to live without root. I like LMT, Xposed and custom ROM options.

Your link refers to IHDT56PK1, which the article says is believed to be the Droid Turbo. The article also refers to IHDT56PK2, which I have found some places that believe this was the Nexus 6 (since the screen size in the FCC document shows 5.9"). Nexus 6 details and a DROID for Verizon - SlashGear
If IHDT56PK2 is *not* the Nexus 6, but is indeed the mysterious GSM Turbo variant, can we drum up the FCC filing of the actual Nexus 6 so we *know* what the FCC ID is?

Felipe Barbosa

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Guys i am from Brasil and here The motorola will make a apresentation on 11/05 in São Paulo and the invitation has some texture that looks like kevlar (sadly i can't post The link but you can search ) some people guess it is a presentation for nexus 6 but The nexus only be here next year and The texture on the card is not a nexus pattern so i guess it is the moto x play. Sorry for the bad english.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Thinking I will be keeping my Moto X! In love with the wooden back and features work for me just fine. If i want a second phone I might consider it but I like the soft buttons too....Who knows! Moto X seems to be my sweet spot.

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site

Ik keep wondering a bit about some of the positives:
1) To what extent will the higher resolution be relevant on a 5.2 inch screen?
2) To what extent are the faster processor, more RAM and improved battery needed to "drive the increased resolution" vs the Moto X? In other words how much of a performance improvement (speed, battery life) will be left after accounting for the higher demands from the increased resolution? The Droid will likely perform better, but it will not surprise me if the performance difference is smaller than some expect based on the specs.