Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

Might try cleaning the lens, too. A couple of your pics the whites look smudged - that might be grease on your lens.

My device is brand new and the pics look the same. It's definitely not grease on the lens.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Might try cleaning the lens, too. A couple of your pics the whites look smudged - that might be grease on your lens.

Wasn't the case in my sample photos, both were cleaned prior to taking them. It's the way the camera handles low light. If I was to take pictures outside they look very nice.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

My device is brand new and the pics look the same. It's definitely not grease on the lens.

I've had similar shots and kept thinking it was dirty but no matter how much i cleaned it that's how they came out. lol.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Ok.... I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in the post, but have you tried the following method....

In the latest camera app, auto-white balance can be manually adjusted. I uploaded a video for demo purposes.... but try to fix the auto-white and then take a photo. As you can see in the video, dragging the focus circle will help adjust the iso white balancing.

Auto White Exposure for the Motorola Camera - YouTube

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Some additional samples. Again, I am not bashing the moto x - it really is a great phone. It's just the camera really does need very good lighting to produce decent results in my experience. While the nexus 5 isn't a great camera either, it is better than the moto x (in low light) in my opinion.

moto x (flash)
x_car_flash.jpg
nexus 5 (flash)
n5_car_flash.jpg
moto x (no flash)
x_car_no_flash.jpg
nexus 5 (no flash)
n5_car_no_flash.jpg

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I actually am very happy with my Nexus 5 camera. It may not be the best smartphone camera on the market but it's definitely up there. And while I'm really enjoying the Moto X overall, the camera has literally been a showstopper for me. It's that bad.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I actually am very happy with my Nexus 5 camera. It may not be the best smartphone camera on the market but it's definitely up there. And while I'm really enjoying the Moto X overall, the camera has literally been a showstopper for me. It's that bad.

The N5 is not without it's faults, particularly the static noise when recording video I mentioned earlier and the phone randomly not ringing when a call comes in. The one thing I loved about the moto x was their support via Google Plus. I found a few bugs and within a few days they confirmed them and said will fix next update. Other bugs on the nexus 5 have been reported via google groups months ago and still no reply or fix. Of course this level of moto support may change in the coming year, but I hope not.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Ok.... I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in the post, but have you tried the following method....

In the latest camera app, auto-white balance can be manually adjusted. I uploaded a video for demo purposes.... but try to fix the auto-white and then take a photo. As you can see in the video, dragging the focus circle will help adjust the iso white balancing.

Thank you for that. I was not aware that the focus/exposure control was an option, so I'm sure that will help with that at least.

I don't take my phone too seriously as a pro-grade or rugged camera - that's what I have a DSLR and my shock-and-waterproof point and shoot cameras for, of course.

But my HTC Thunderbolt had a camera that could run circles around the Moto X's. And my Optimus G Pro took quite excellent pictures. And my phone is the thing I have with me when 90% of photo-taking opportunities happen.

This is not the quality I would expect from a 10 megapixel phone camera. Something is horribly wrong, and I'm hoping it's software.

It's not a deal-breaker, but it is honestly a disappointment.

It's a great phone. It's a fantastic Android device. Always-on "OK Google Now" and the Active Display are really useful features. Composing a text or being able to say "OK, Google Now (pause) Navigate me home" without touching or hardly even glancing at the screen are, just, wow. You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. At least until the next shiny comes around. I'm fickle like that.

But the camera, no.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I agree with most of the above. This is a fantastic phone...love almost everything about it. What I disagree with is that being that this is the camera I have on me 90% of the time, quality this poor is absolutely a deal breaker to me.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Auto White Exposure for the Motorola Camera - YouTube

Great tip. I leave this on all the time.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Great tip. I leave this on all the time.

Making demo videos on Kit Kat is so easy now! But back to the topic, I've played with the auto-white balance and it does take a lot of practice. Surprisingly, I have found that uploading the photos to G+ to have auto-enhance and auto-awesome done can make the photo exposure better.

Also, Snapseed is an amazing app for photo editing (Google owned) for the Moto X and Droid Lines. I have found that making adjustments on the app works well. Also, snapseed is the only photo editing app that doesn't mess with the integrity of the photo. In otherwords, it doesn't downsample the size of the photo to enhance the quality (Changing the file size of the original photo from say 5mb to 1mb).

I agree, the Moto Camera is not the greatest, but it's not the worst at least and there are lots of enhancements that can be done to make the camera better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

As the father of two toddlers that never sit still long enough for a good shot setup... I'd strongly recommend not using a (any) phone for a camera at all. There's just no comparison between the best camera phone and even a mid-range DLSR. The Moto X does great on shots that you have time to set up, use HDR or flash and even then might take a couple of moments to edit post production. Video is also fairly decent. Anything that involves random light conditions, real life action and/or things that have to be snapped right away, a dedicated shooter is a MUCH better plan.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

As the father of two toddlers that never sit still long enough for a good shot setup... I'd strongly recommend not using a (any) phone for a camera at all. There's just no comparison between the best camera phone and even a mid-range DLSR. The Moto X does great on shots that you have time to set up, use HDR or flash and even then might take a couple of moments to edit post production. Video is also fairly decent. Anything that involves random light conditions, real life action and/or things that have to be snapped right away, a dedicated shooter is a MUCH better plan.

Respectfully, I can't stand responses like this being that it's such a cop out answer. I own a high end SLR and a Sony RX100. Both are incredible cameras that serve their purpose but the fact remains that the best camera is the one that's on you and it's my phone that is on me 100% of the time. If I'm going somewhere that I know I'm going to want to capture images, then absolutely I bring a good camera. But there are a million more instances when I want to catch a random moment and I'm not going to have a real camera on me.

It's b/c of this that cameras have become such an important factor for many consumers when deciding which smartphone to buy. I had the iPhone 5 which took great pictures. I had the HTC One which took great quality pictures even if the images were too small for my uses. I had the Nexus 5 which took great pictures after the software update. And now I'm trying the Moto X which feels like I've stepped in a time machine and traveled back 3 years. It's simply terrible and making sure I have a real camera with me is not a real solution.

The camera on this device is a travesty and if Motorola wants to be successful in the future, they better find a way to figure out how to put at least decent cameras in their phones. The camera on the Moto X isn't just bad...it's unacceptable.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Anything that involves random light conditions, real life action and/or things that have to be snapped right away, a dedicated shooter is a MUCH better plan.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that point. When I went to Kennedy Space Center, the DSLR came with me. When I go out on the ocean, my 12 megapixel shock-and-waterproof comes along for the ride. The right tool for the right job.

But my phone is always with me, and my phone cameras get a lot of mileage as snapshot cameras. Taking it as read that I actually use my phone camera for snapshots and have done for the better part of a decade now, I have come to expect a certain (lower than DSLR) level of quality from them.

The MotoX is a little shy of those expectations.

To draw a parallel, with respect, this would be like on a motoring forum where people are saying "I love the (insert sedan model here), it fits the kids nicely and gets good fuel mileage but the trunk is a tad small - if you're shopping for a sedan be aware that the trunk is tight in this model" and having someone jump in and say "Why are you carrying stuff in a sedan? You need a (insert one-ton pickup truck model here)"

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Snapseed can rectify all issues with this phone's photo taking ability.

Rhezick

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the moto x yesterday and installed the update from the play store for the camera...I reviewed the youtube video posted above, and I don't get the option to drag the circle for focus as depicted in the video above... am I missing something?? I went back to check and it says that the update is installed.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
This topic has been beaten to death but I'm still jumping in. My problem with this camera isn't color or exposure quality as much as it is about focus. I'm also a new dad and if I attempt a shot of my daughter if she's closer than 3 feet, I could probably get my Nikon dslr out of the closet and take a pic before the X camera achieves appropriate focus. It always focuses the background regardless of where the green focus ring is. By no means a deal breaker for me but a huuuuge bummer.

Posted via Android Central App

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You act like the Moto X's camera ran over your dog and set your yard on fire.

It's serviceable at best and disappointing at worst. We're all aware of it, and this topic has been beaten to death since the phone was released. The general consensus here is that if having a top quality smartphone camera is your number one priority, then the Moto X probably isn't for you. That's not a cop out. It's not an excuse. It's just the way it is.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the moto x yesterday and installed the update from the play store for the camera...I reviewed the youtube video posted above, and I don't get the option to drag the circle for focus as depicted in the video above... am I missing something?? I went back to check and it says that the update is installed.

Swipe from the left for the options menu. There's a finger pointing at a little box. Should be the middle of the 5 options on the ring. If that's lit up with a blue edge, the option is on. If it's not, tap it to light it up with a blue edge.

Then you should see a circle with an open box in it on screen. Drag that to where you want the focus and exposure based.

It's a tad different from most of the other camera apps, where you simply tap on the screen once in the area you want the exposure and focus to be based on. With this camera, once you set that spot, that's where it is until you move it. Handy for repeat shots, or if you have a tendency to do off-center subjects. And it makes it crystal clear where the current focal/contrast point is.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

To draw a parallel, with respect, this would be like on a motoring forum where people are saying "I love the (insert sedan model here), it fits the kids nicely and gets good fuel mileage but the trunk is a tad small - if you're shopping for a sedan be aware that the trunk is tight in this model" and having someone jump in and say "Why are you carrying stuff in a sedan? You need a (insert one-ton pickup truck model here)"

To me the analogy was more akin to, "I wanted a vehicle to tow several tons of concrete across the state every day, bought a sedan, I love it, but it doesn't do the main thing I need it to do. Reviews said it wouldn't, I knew it wouldn't, bought it anyways, now I'm upset and no one should ever buy this sedan".

What's more important than this topic being discussed in dozens of threads is the numerous people who have spent the last 5 months offering tips, apps suggestions and other methods of bringing this camera up from barely passable to halfway decent, as far as camera phones go.

I'd strongly disagree that it's terrible, but everyone who says that Samsung, LG & Apple cameras are better for pick it up, point and shoot shots is absolutely correct. This device requires patience and setup to get quality out of it. There are many people finding ways to make this camera work for them and they're getting fantastic results once they learn how to use it. There are many more just complaining and/or going to other devices that are easier to use. Whatever makes 'em happy, but my comments were about a way to get the best results of photos of small children, who are never going to set up and pose for the shot, while still having the best phone on the market in most other regards.

But there are a million more instances when I want to catch a random moment and I'm not going to have a real camera on me.

My point wasn't that all shots from all camera phones are pointless or bad, it's that the perspective of using it... actually nevermind. Good luck!