Moto X vs Samsung Facinate

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's even more pronounced during web browsing. Not necessarily a deal breaker imo.

I did a quickrun through of the captivate but was not put off by the blue margins and texts. In fact it probably would've gone unnoticed if it was not pointed out to me. I think the screen is absolutely beautiful on the Captivate(Galaxy S).

I've never imagined a screen could look so good on a smartphone. Bravo Samsung you have outdone yourselves on this one. Time to run linpack and try to play asphalt5.

Arehexes

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from the tmo store and played with the vibrant to see if I should return my x for a fascinate. I was blown away at first site.the screen looked incredible and the ui was silky smooth. Amazingly fast. I then watched avatar on it and was even more impressed. Until I came to the browser and held my phone next too it. There is no such thing as white on the galaxy S. Every thing that was supposed to be white was actually blue. The blue tint was then noticed everywhere making the colors look extremely inaccurate. White buildings on the X were blue on the vibrant.

I was then happy with my purchase and left the store.

When it comes to video playback and pictures that do not have much white in them this phone tips all in the screen department. The galaxy s that is. But when it comes to normal web browsing the blue tint makes everything look dull and dim in comparison to the droid X's crisp whites contrasting with blacks.

The galaxy S screen will blow you away for certain things but leave you disappointed in others. But it is definitely a good buy. I just prefer my motorola because its very durable and you know they use very good hardware. Where as every samsung tv or monitor I have seen about 80 percent have broken within 3 years. Oh and I want that app drawer its so nice. Much better than scrolling up and down.

Sent from my DROIDX

That's odd I played with the tmo galaxy and it had no blue tint

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Played asphalt and the game runs extremely smooth. Rich colors and fast gameplay with no hiccups. The screen is a monster. After this phone, no one can say Android is not a gaming platform. This device clearly shows android's gaming capabilities.

After running linpack I avg'd score of about 8.1 mflops. This is comparable to scores on the droid x. Basically the top linpack scores I've seen with devices running android 2.1 are the X and the Galaxy S. I believe 2.1 versions of the Nexus one and Incredible are at 6.6 mflops. I believe the evo and its snapdragon is about the same. The OG droid is a 4.2 I believe.

So basically this and the X are the fastest devices running stock 2.1 fw. They both seem to be speed demons and things will only get better when they are updated to 2.2 froyo. I would expect to see scores anywhere in the mid 40's to mid 50's once updated.

Where the Galaxy S comes out on top though is its top notch screen technology and fluidity. Combined with a high powered gpu the Samsung stands out as the clear winner IMHO.

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Was this a test device you were playing with? Any lags in the transitions? Web browser lags?

Played asphalt and the game runs extremely smooth. Rich colors and fast gameplay with no hiccups. The screen is a monster. After this phone, no one can say Android is not a gaming platform. This device clearly shows android's gaming capabilities.

After running linpack I avg'd score of about 8.1 mflops. This is comparable to scores on the droid x. Basically the top linpack scores I've seen with devices running android 2.1 are the X and the Galaxy S. I believe 2.1 versions of the Nexus one and Incredible are at 6.6 mflops. I believe the evo and its snapdragon is about the same. The OG droid is a 4.2 I believe.

So basically this and the X are the fastest devices running stock 2.1 fw. They both seem to be speed demons and things will only get better when they are updated to 2.2 froyo. I would expect to see scores anywhere in the mid 40's to mid 50's once updated.

Where the Galaxy S comes out on top though is its top notch screen technology and fluidity. Combined with a high powered gpu the Samsung stands out as the clear winner IMHO.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Was this a test device you were playing with? Any lags in the transitions? Web browser lags?

no this is a Captivate device I purchased for my mom. She's on vacation right now so I have a few days to mess around and get comfortable with the phone.

Transitions were extremely smooth.. Didn't notice any browser lags. In fact the browser is probably one of the fastest out there. Web pages loaded incredibly quick with the Captivate.

Even with the city lights live wallpaper on home screen, the device runs extremely smooth. Only noticeable lag I've seen on the device is during initial startup where the device needs to access the sd card. Maybe a 2 sec lag. After that the device simply flies.

phone also does very fast orientation changes.

I had an incredible and this is much snappier.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Bingo. I have played with the Droid X as well, and the Galaxy S is immensely more charming as a phone. The screen size is "just right" unless you really have poor vision and need all that extra space, it's light weight, and the UI is incredibly smooth.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just sent back my vibrant tmo coverage wasn't good in my area but the phone it's self is a monster. Benchmarks do this phone no justice it flies everything I through at it it handled without issue I was sad to see it go but hopeful for the fascinate or epic

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Transitions were extremely smooth.. Didn't notice any browser lags. In fact the browser is probably one of the fastest out there. Web pages loaded incredibly quick with the Captivate.

Even with the city lights live wallpaper on home screen, the device runs extremely smooth. Only noticeable lag I've seen on the device is during initial startup where the device needs to access the sd card. Maybe a 2 sec lag. After that the device simply flies.

phone also does very fast orientation changes.

I had an incredible and this is much snappier.

This is very good to hear. There have been several reviews out there (BGR, Engadget, a few others) mentioning "lag" without being specific at all and without showing any video of the lag. I'm glad to hear that this may not be an issue. I really want this phone. I hope VZW gets around to releasing it sooner than later ...

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is very good to hear. There have been several reviews out there (BGR, Engadget, a few others) mentioning "lag" without being specific at all and without showing any video of the lag. I'm glad to hear that this may not be an issue. I really want this phone. I hope VZW gets around to releasing it sooner than later ...

most issues dealing with lag is coming from Android newbies doing reviews of the device. They tend to tax the system by downloading many apps with background processes with frequent polling options. They also tend to place an enormous amounts of widgets on their homescreens.

Usually these reviews are done with the user opening many apps during one sitting. Since many are new to the system they are unaware of memory management.

I'm assuming they also watch many videos and heavily use their devices for the first few days.

Me being a seasoned Android user, I am able to get great battery life and no lag whatsoever.

I've seen lag with the yahoo mail app. that app sucks and I have since stopped it from polling my yahoo account.

Ever since removing that account I have seen zero lag on this device. It is insanely fast. With froyo on the way it will be one of the top 2 fastest Android devices. It really makes a mockery of the snapdragon chip.

Snapdragon = Overhyped, Underperformed in GPU and CPU when cloked at 1 GHZ
HummingBird - Underhyped, The truth, overperforms

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just sent back my vibrant tmo coverage wasn't good in my area but the phone it's self is a monster. Benchmarks do this phone no justice it flies everything I through at it it handled without issue I was sad to see it go but hopeful for the fascinate or epic

exactly. This guy is a highly experienced Android user.

Trust his advice when he says the phone is a monster.

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

Samsungs twitter says there's no firm release date for the Fascinate, but it is coming in a few weeks. If thats true, then it should be here late August-ish.

I decided to order a Vibrant to play with for the grace period, I look up the Galaxy S so much I got tired of waiting to try one. lol

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am really glad to hear about how fast this really is as I am looking forward to it.

most issues dealing with lag is coming from Android newbies doing reviews of the device. They tend to tax the system by downloading many apps with background processes with frequent polling options. They also tend to place an enormous amounts of widgets on their homescreens.

BGR and Engadget are 2 of the sites reviewing this who mentiooned the lag, and I would not consider either of those reviewers Android amateurs at all. They have reviewed many Android phones each and haven't mentioned lag on many of them. Oddly though, as I previously mentioned, none of the public review sites were specific at all about the lag. Not a single one. It's so odd, because it doesn't seem to be just an isolated review about it. While not prevalent in reviews, there do seem to be numerous account of this mysterious, vague "lag".

But I trust everyday users' experience in forums like this more than just about any review, so keep the comments and experiences coming! Thanks.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am really glad to hear about how fast this really is as I am looking forward to it.

BGR and Engadget are 2 of the sites reviewing this who mentiooned the lag, and I would not consider either of those reviewers Android amateurs at all. They have reviewed many Android phones each and haven't mentioned lag on many of them. Oddly though, as I previously mentioned, none of the public review sites were specific at all about the lag. Not a single one. It's so odd, because it doesn't seem to be just an isolated review about it. While not prevalent in reviews, there do seem to be numerous account of this mysterious, vague "lag".

Engadget usually gives the worst reviews of Android devices. Read through the comments section and they get villified for having a biased review every time.

Either they are consulting Tipb or Apple themselves prior to doing this review.

All I can say it is one of the fastest devices I've ever used.

I though Droid Inc and its snapdragon was the best a month ago but after messing with the GS hummingbird, the snapdragon is second rate.

I'm upset I even hyped up the snapdragon processor. Only thing cool about it is its name.

But I trust everyday users' experience in forums like this more than just about any review, so keep the comments and experiences coming! Thanks.

No problem. We will not lead you to buy a device you will be unhappy with. We will only try to provide you with honest good advice to help make the best decision for you.

Last edited:

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I also noticed the blue tint on the Captivate. I was also surprised to see how fuzzy text looked on this device. I was doing a direct comparison with my Droid, which reproduced colors and text more accurately. Something to consider.

I found this photo on another forum. This will give you an idea of what we see. All white text & backgrounds on the Captivate have this blue tint.

Text looks cleaner on the Samsung to me, as well as a more vibrant and crisp screen image with deeper blacks than the X when playing back HD video on YouTube. When we ran them side by side it was very apparent who the winner was.

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have a Dinc, but I really want the Fascinate. So I decided to order a Vibrant to play with while I wait (send it back before the grace period is up) and I like it a lot. I put the Dinc and Vibrant side by side like in the photo above, and the Vibrant was crisper as well as brighter/whiter. There's no blue tint in white colors that I am seeing.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I've been to several T-Mo & AT&T stores to check out various Vibrant/Captivate devices. It's very strange, some had the blue tint & some did not. I guess it's YMMV.

substring

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Waiting for the Fascinate

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been searching for a good Android device to replace my BlackBerry Storm (which is still a good phone, but it is technologically obsoleted). Before buying the phone, I am trying to educate myself as much as possible.

I went to the Verizon stores (one close to my office and one close to my home) to play with the HTC Incredible and the Droid X. The Incredible is way too skinny for me and the phone looks cheap. So it is off my list.

The Droid X has a good size screen and I like the fact that many of the apps including the calendar can be displayed in landscape mode. I primarily use my device in landscape mode. It seems to be a very good phone. However, I don't like the finish. Just like the Incredible, the Droid X does not have the high-end device look like the HTC EVO and the iPhone. Also, the 4 hardware keys on the bottom of the phone look very cheap. Why does Motorola use 4 little rectangle buttons that wiggle instead of hiding the buttons under a smooth layer like everyone else? That is poor craftsmanship in my humble opinion. Too bad the HTC EVO is not on Verizon or it will be a no-brainer.

While I was playing with the phones, the store manager came and talked to me. I explained to him about my reservation on the finish of the two Android phones, and my reservation on Motorola as the manufacturer (not that long ago the Motorola Mobile Device division was up for sale and no one was interested. It speaks volumes.). He suggested me to wait for the Samsung Galaxy S (a.k.a. Fascinate) which should be available in September.

As soon as I got home, I immediately got on the internet to research on the Galaxy S. It is a very sweet device. The Super Amoled screen beats the TFT screen hand down. The finish of the phone is marvelous. Now this is what a high-end phone should look like.

I know some people are complaining about the GPS problem on their GSM variations. Nobody knows if it exists on the Fascinate or not. But Samsung has announced yesterday that they are committed to fix the GPS problem on all Galaxy S phones (Samsung commits to September updates for Galaxy S GPS woes -- Engadget). So it should be a non-issue for the Fascinate next month.

So the Fascinate will be the phone that I am waiting for. :D

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Yup. I also noticed the blue tint on the Captivate. I was also surprised to see how fuzzy text looked on this device. I was doing a direct comparison with my Droid, which reproduced colors and text more accurately. Something to consider.

I found this photo on another forum. This will give you an idea of what we see. All white text & backgrounds on the Captivate have this blue tint.

I have to agree with you here. I played with a Captivate a few weeks ago and the pixelation was much easier to see than my X. Text was clearer on the X and colors more true to life. I remembered reading all the reviews and even watching the videos with seem to show the Super Amoled being superior but that's only when viewing videos apparently. For browsing and text the LCD wins IMO. And I'm not crazy about the over saturation of these Super Amoled screens either. I think they need a few more generations to fully mature.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been searching for a good Android device to replace my BlackBerry Storm (which is still a good phone, but it is technologically obsoleted).

Lets be real your storm sucks, ok... That's why you are looking for a replacement and willing to join either the iphone or android ranks. No offense but I feel bad for anyone whoever purchased a storm. It really is a waste of a device.

I went to the Verizon stores (one close to my office and one close to my home) to play with the HTC Incredible and the Droid X. The Incredible is way too skinny for me and the phone looks cheap. So it is off my list.

The Droid X has a good size screen and I like the fact that many of the apps including the calendar can be displayed in landscape mode. I primarily use my device in landscape mode. It seems to be a very good phone. However, I don't like the finish. Just like the Incredible, the Droid X does not have the high-end device look like the HTC EVO and the iPhone. Also, the 4 hardware keys on the bottom of the phone look very cheap. Why does Motorola use 4 little rectangle buttons that wiggle instead of hiding the buttons under a smooth layer like everyone else? That is poor craftsmanship in my humble opinion. Too bad the HTC EVO is not on Verizon or it will be a no-brainer.

While I was playing with the phones, the store manager came and talked to me. I explained to him about my reservation on the finish of the two Android phones, and my reservation on Motorola as the manufacturer (not that long ago the Motorola Mobile Device division was up for sale and no one was interested. It speaks volumes.). He suggested me to wait for the Samsung Galaxy S (a.k.a. Fascinate) which should be available in September.

As soon as I got home, I immediately got on the internet to research on the Galaxy S. It is a very sweet device. The Super Amoled screen beats the TFT screen hand down. The finish of the phone is marvelous. Now this is what a high-end phone should look like.

I know some people are complaining about the GPS problem on their GSM variations. Nobody knows if it exists on the Fascinate or not. But Samsung has announced yesterday that they are committed to fix the GPS problem on all Galaxy S phones (Samsung commits to September updates for Galaxy S GPS woes -- Engadget). So it should be a non-issue for the Fascinate next month.

So the Fascinate will be the phone that I am waiting for. :D

Surprised the Verizon rep even knew what a Fascinatre was and actually recommended it to you. Maybe Verizon reps are not as dumb as some may think.

As for GPS, thank you but I believe most of us are aware that a fix is coming.

I also agree that Moto leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with you here. I played with a Captivate a few weeks ago and the pixelation was much easier to see than my X. Text was clearer on the X and colors more true to life. I remembered reading all the reviews and even watching the videos with seem to show the Super Amoled being superior but that's only when viewing videos apparently. For browsing and text the LCD wins IMO. And I'm not crazy about the over saturation of these Super Amoled screens either. I think they need a few more generations to fully mature.

Every one is entitled to their opinion but most everyone is impressed with the super amoled even with the "over saturation". Thanks for sharing though.

Even if you ignore that super amoled is a better screen technology, I think the GS is still the superior device.

You have a superior GPU which gives you better video quality and a higher fps output. Also web viewing on the GS is superior in my opinion.

Whatever Samsung used for touch screen tech is better then the droid x's. Pinch to zoom and other touch gestures are very smooth on the GS line of phones, while the moto blur struggles.

Label me a Moto hater if you'd like. I've had the OG droid, the incredible, back to og droid(rental), and now have the droid 2(rental).

After playing with all of these devices hands on, I still think the Galaxy S line of phones are far superior to anything moto has on the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024