Move stuff to sd card?

A

AC Question

Move stuff to sd card

I finally put a SD card into my S5 to free up phone memory. How do I mave the apps over to it? And how do I default so new apps i download go there to?

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Move stuff to sd card

What OS are you running? Lollipop does not allow apps to be moved to an external card. I believe Marshmallow does.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
What OS are you running? Lollipop does not allow apps to be moved to an external card. I believe Marshmallow does.

I am on lollipop and apps can be moved to SD.

There is no default way so that new apps automatically go to SD. Only with photos and videos you take with the camera can you do that.

As far as apps, when you install new ones, you have to individually move then to SD.
Go to application manager in settings, go to the app and click "move to SD". Be aware of a couple of things. On large apps such as games, not everything moves to SD, some of it remains on internal storage. And when you update the app, it gets moved back to internal storage and you have to move it back again to SD. This is a pain, trust me.

If you do this, 3rd party app movers are better. I suggest AppMgr III. It tells you detailed information about which apps can be moved to SD, and what functions are lost if you do. Something you won't know if you move it yourself via application manager. Some apps retain all functionality when you move to SD, some can't be moved and many apps can but lose features such as widgets. AppMgr III tells you exactly.

With my experiences, I suggest keeping the SD for photos, videos and music only.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I only recently moved all my apps back to internal storage. I noticed immediately the phone is faster, runs cooler and battery life has significantly improved.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Running apps on the SD card with Lollipop and the hobbled version of Marshmallow included on the S7 is a klunky experience. Most people just keep the apps on the internal storage.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Move stuff to sd card

Settings>Applications>SD Card

Select each app you want on the SD card and move to the SD card

Lollipop allows for this. I leave frequently used apps on the internal storage, but the rest go on the card.

Note: Apps will move back to the internal storage when updated.

Posted from AC on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

sremick

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Running apps on the SD card with Lollipop and the hobbled version of Marshmallow included on the S7 is a klunky experience. Most people just keep the apps on the internal storage.

Probably because most people don't use many apps, or can't be bothered to learn to use this feature.

However, there's no way internal storage is big enough for my needs and there was no model of my phone with enough internal storage even as an option.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Probably because most people don't use many apps, or can't be bothered to learn to use this feature.
I don't consider having to constantly relocate apps back to the SD card every time an app is updated, or random bizarreness like missing icons and apps failing to launch as a "feature". Marshmallow (6.0) was supposed to fix this with Adaptive Storage but there are plenty of naysayers of this feature who have never used it and must work for Samsung or LG.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider having to constantly relocate apps back to the SD card every time an app is updated, or random bizarreness like missing icons and apps failing to launch as a "feature". Marshmallow (6.0) was supposed to fix this with Adaptive Storage but there are plenty of naysayers of this feature who have never used it and must work for Samsung or LG.

I have a hard time following what you're trying to say - but I don't work for LG/Samsung/Google and I consider Adopted storage dumb. I don't need the OS to manage my storage for me.

Adopted storage defeats itself in that the SD card is not truly adopted to create 1 storage partition. It is still treating the SD card as a separate entity.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
by the way, there is a free app on the Play store called "AppMgr III" that will automatically pop up whenever you download or update an app that can be moved to the SD card. This is useful because every time you update an app, it will re-install on the local memory (even if you had previously moved it to the SD Card). It is up to you to manually move the app back to the SD card each time you update it - which is why "AppMgr III" comes in handy.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon