Music Dropouts?

csillver

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo I've had this issue for a while and am just now getting around to it. I love my phone but this is a little weird. When ever I am playing recorded music from the phone or SD card I get dropouts. Its not all the time. It even happens when nothing else is running (ive shut things down just to be sure). I've spent some time looking around the web and I see this seems to be an old issue. Soooo my question is, anyone have any solutions? I have tried using the native player, rocket player and power amp. Anything live stream seems to be just fine.
Thanks !

csillver

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
It kinda just does it random. Some days are better than other. It matters not if its Blu tooth or headphone or just the native speakers.

freightguy70

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Weird. I have that issue when I have headphones plugged in. I have a set of beats by dre wired. And astros wired. Volume just goes down at random. I just bought beats by dre wireless and no longer have the problem and the volume is louder. I think it's something to do with the phone personally. But I have no clue as to why it stopped doing it with the wireless beats by dre earbuds.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S5

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I had that issue when playing music over Bluetooth. The music would randomly disappear but keep playing on the phone. The last update to Android 4.4.4 helped and then Verizon/Samsung released another update shortly after that which seems to have mainly fixed the problem. I'll still get a dropout, about once every 3-4 days but it lasts half a second and doesn't annoy me nearly as much as when it would drop out 20-26 times during an 8 minute commute.

Oddly enough, my S5 has never done this over a wired connection. I had a pair of wireless Beats Studios and the dropouts were so annoying I exchanged them for a wired pair. I didn't have any issues with those and I still don't, at least not with the Google Play Music app.

What app are you using to play music back? I have noticed that the Samsung app (which is rather terrible) consumes far too many resources yet still skips whether I'm playing music over wired or Bluetooth. Poweramp also skips on me using a wired or Bluetooth connection, I heard that it is having compatibility issues with Android 4.4.4.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like a carrier issue? Because I got Tmobile and i use bluetooth for music and doesn't skips or stops.

csillver

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Umm not for me, its been an issue actually with verizon, att, H2O, and Consumer Cellular... I have no issues coming off of Pandora, Spotify, Tunein etc. Its only off the phone.

Marcel Rivers

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I think I may have figured out a way around two issues with Android KitKat 4.4.2. I am fairly new to Android and a music lover. Ok, so 1. the volume issue, do not boost the eq levels over 0db, when you boost the eq levels the volume will automatically lower. Here is an example. Screenshot_2015-01-04-23-17-03.png

2. The issue with music stuttering, or skipping. For me the music seemed to stop stuttering skipping when I used earbuds without a built-in mic. So far this has helped me. Give these a try if you haven't already. Good luck! :)

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
2. The issue with music stuttering, or skipping. For me the music seemed to stop stuttering skipping when I used earbuds without a built-in mic. So far this has helped me. Give these a try if you haven't already. Good luck! :)

For me, I haven't experienced music dropouts (stuttering or otherwise) using a wired connection regardless of the headphones I use. I tried a pair of 2013 Beats Studios with a standard headphone cable (i.e. no microphone or controls), a pair of Bose FreeStyle earbuds with an in-line Apple compatible remote, and a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M100 headphones with an in-line basic remote and microphone (single button remote). I experienced dropouts with Poweramp using the Beats Studios in Bluetooth mode but switching to the Google Play Music app seemed to solve the problem.

I still have the occasional dropout in my car but that uses Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. My UE Boom and Beats Pill XL haven't dropped out in my in a while, pretty much ever since receiving that last update from Verizon/Samsung (knocks on wood). My fiance is in the same boat with her S5. Music stuttering is now really brief so it isn't as annoying as it was before but she will experience dropouts in her car (Bluetooth 2.1+EDR) and occasionally with her UE Boom.

Either way,the issue appears to be more with Bluetooth than it is with music playback in general as there are known Bluetooth audio problems with specific versions of the Galaxy S5. Except for Poweramp. I still can't get that to play anything on my phone without stuttering. I think the last update to 4.4.4 pretty much killed it. I've asked for help from the developers and they haven't acknowledged anything which is a shame considering I paid for the full version.

csillver

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Well thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated! Sadly, still getting the drop outs with or without mics on the ear buds/head sets. It is very random, and solutions seem to be spotty at best.

Lennqvist

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I didn´t have the exact same problem, only experienced dropouts when playing with Bluetooth.
Think that disappeared when I turned off the location service on the phone.
Could be worth a test.

Gus T Butt

May 31, 2018
Visit site
It's either an issue with the S5 or the carrier. I was playing back music on my S5 this morning using Google Play, connected with 4G on the O2 network and latterly on wi-fi. Music kept dropping out. Now connected to Dell laptop, also using Bluetooth, also Google play. All is well. Using Bose Quietcomfort 35 II. Disappointed in the mobile solution. To test the carrier, I am at work on wi-fi with data switched off and all other apps stopped. Still the problem, I suspect it's the S5 now. VERY disappointing.

Last edited: