Music Player (Remix)

Leo Tohill

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Music Player (Remix) First impressions

Recently installed 1.6.8 on a Nexus 7. Remix has two features that I've wanted for some time: micro controls, and viewing of embedded lyrics. I use the micro control to jog back when listening to Spanish. And of course I view the embedded lyrics to check my Spanish.

I have two requests/suggestions.

1) The micro controls and the progress bar are too close. I often hit the progress bar when I meant to hit the micro control. A little more space between them would be helpful.

2) I'd love to have micro controls AND lyric viewing available at the same time. Reduce the space for the lyrics a bit to accommodate the controls.

Overall, great job, I like the player a lot.

Leo

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Music Player (Remix) First impressions

Recently installed 1.6.8 on a Nexus 7. Remix has two features that I've wanted for some time: micro controls, and viewing of embedded lyrics. I use the micro control to jog back when listening to Spanish. And of course I view the embedded lyrics to check my Spanish.

I have two requests/suggestions.

1) The micro controls and the progress bar are too close. I often hit the progress bar when I meant to hit the micro control. A little more space between them would be helpful.

2) I'd love to have micro controls AND lyric viewing available at the same time. Reduce the space for the lyrics a bit to accommodate the controls.

Overall, great job, I like the player a lot.

Leo
On my devices there is plenty of space between the micro controls (i.e. the bottom of the album art) and the scrubber bar. But it may just be that my devices have more vertical space than yours. I'm not sure it would make sense to move the micro controls upward. It just wouldn't look right positioned that way.

On the Lyrics screen, and actually all screens, you can swipe up from the bottom to reveal the controls and playlist. On there you can access the micro controls if you've enabled them (by long-tapping the top-half of the album art).

hape

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dan, do you send the information about the current playing position and the song length to the android media service?
I ask as it is not shown on my Pebble with Music Boss and the media service is where the information is read from.

You can find some infos about the function on the developers website: Media Progress Display | Reboot's Ramblings

Edit: Sorry I was wrong. It works like it shuld. I missed that I have to switch it on inside the Musc Boss app.

Thanks Hanspeter

Last edited:

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi ... I'm migrating to a new phone and have installed Remix on it (purchased). I've figured out how to do things either via the helpful tips that are presented the first time, or by searching this thread.

The one thing I can't figure out how to do is get the Now Playing list to sort alphabetically. I'm talking about the playlist that appears when you drag up from the lower edge. If I go the RIGHT side menu (swipe in from right edge) I can get to the Albums menu, then select the desired folder, and THAT song list I can sort (via the button in the lower right). But I can't figure out how to get the Now Playing list to sort by alpha. And I know it's possible because I could do it on my old phone :)

I see that I can drag the songs around, but I should be able to tell the app to just do an alpha sort, right?

My typical usage is unlike most, probably. I have a weekly pile of mp3 audio files recorded continuously from a custom audio archiving system (in 30 minute chunks) and I listen to them sequentially. No artist names, no albums names, no track names, just mp3 files. The files are named such that as long as I sort them alphabetically, they are in the correct order. This means that I can effectively just skip ahead in time by 30 minutes by skipping to the next track. (This is also why the fine-tuned controls are critical to me, why I bought the app, because it was the only app that offered it.)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can't, nor have you ever been able to, sort the now playing list (available via the bottom sliding panel) alphabetically. If you're not using ID3 tags to mark the track #, your only option would be to add the tracks to a playlist and then sort that alphabetically on the playlist editor screen. The quickest way to add the tracks would be with the "multi-add" feature (available via the "..." next to a playlist on the left-side sliding panel). When in "multi-add" mode, you can go to any screen (like the "Songs" screen) and tap all the tracks to add them to the playlist.

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. This is puzzling for sure. Here is the sequence of what I would do on the old phone with the older app:

1. Transfer in the new files.
2. Drag out the right menu and select "Shuffle All". (This was a workaround step because, for whatever reason, the OS would not notify your app that there were new files in storage, and they would not appear in the Now Playing list. When I was first struggling with this app I found that if I did the "Shuffle All" and then boom all the files would show up.)
3. Drag up the bottom menu, where the shuffle icon would be illuminated.
4. Turn OFF shuffle. Tracks now sorted alpha ascending.
5. Select the first track at the top of the list, and we're off to the races.

The new app behaves differently in step 3 (shuffle icon NOT illuminated after the prior "shuffle all" command) and step 4 (never goes to alpha sort).

On the old phone I was not using a playlist, because I would have had to update it every week. Once a week I transfer in a pile of mp3 files with filenames like this:

Tue1900.mp3
Tue1930.mp3
Wed0323d1.mp3
Wed0323d2.mp3
Wed0323f1.mp3
Wed0323f2.mp3
(that's just a selection, the actual list is much longer)

Most of the file names change every week (i.e. the "0323" above is a datestamp for last Wed), and per your method I would have been editing the playlist every week to reflect them, and I was definitely not doing that. (I don't know the first thing about playlists, never needed them.)

The biggest problem I have now is that when I skip the current playing track, it doesn't jump to the next one alphabetically. Perhaps the old app had a default sort of alpha-ascending, in the ABSENCE of an actual playlist?

If there's a one-time task like playlist creation that I need to chug through then I'll do it, but with the filenames changing every week I don't think that would work.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. This is puzzling for sure. Here is the sequence of what I would do on the old phone with the older app

The "Shuffle All" behavior was changed in a recent update. Previously, as you noted, it just loaded all the songs on the device and would choose a random song to move to when switching songs. Now it actually generates a randomly pre-sorted list.

But to accomplish what you're trying to do, you can just go to the "Songs" screen (via the right-side sliding panel). Change the sort order to alphabetical (via the icon at the bottom of the screen), and then press the play icon (also at the bottom of the screen).

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes! That works! I had already done that sort, so it seems I just have to reselect it every time. I did my weekly update today and it worked (listening right now).

The only other thing I had to do to was to get the fine controls onto the lock screen (5/30/60 second jumps, the main reason I use this player). After I couple minutes of hunting through and trying prefs I did figure that out.

Thanks!

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes! That works! I had already done that sort, so it seems I just have to reselect it every time. I did my weekly update today and it worked (listening right now).

The only other thing I had to do to was to get the fine controls onto the lock screen (5/30/60 second jumps, the main reason I use this player). After I couple minutes of hunting through and trying prefs I did figure that out.

Thanks!

Very good!

TapThatSAS

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but I've noticed recently I'm unable to download lyrics. Every search returns no results, even with songs for which I know the lyrics should be readily available.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but I've noticed recently I'm unable to download lyrics. Every search returns no results, even with songs for which I know the lyrics should be readily available.

Yes there does appear to be an issue with downloading lyrics on many songs. Although it seems to work on some. I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to work on this. I'm pretty busy with other things right now.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Song Selection invokes Up/Down Slider Bug.
Hi, I've just bought version 1.6.8, I've a Vodafone Smart Prime 6 equiv to Alcatel VF-895N, with Android 5.0.2.
I paid for the app because it seems better than ES File Explorer and Poweramp, but ....When I am browsing through Artists, then select <unknown>, or The Jimi Hendrix Experience for examples, I get the list of songs by "unknown" or Hendrix as expected but cannot select the 3 vertical dots to make some other choice of action relating to the chosen song, because the up/down slider selects itself, immediately taking me to an unwanted place on the list. The pixel geometry is the same in Song and Album view but the misbehaviour only happens in Artists where there is a large number of songs associated with that artist, thereby requiring the up/down slider.

The slider should only appear when scrolling. It should disappear to the right when you stop scrolling. Try switching to landscape orientation and see if you can select the "..." menu.

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one that just gets a generic bland circle in the notifications bar (rather than a custom icon) when using this app? Using lollipop 5.1.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Android Lollipop changed the way notifications are drawn. Some phone's Android builds are not displaying the app's notification icon correctly because of this. On my Galaxy S7 it displays correctly, but I know on other phones it doesn't.

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, it looks like it's time for my annual-ish post to this thread with a question.

I'm a paid customer of the Remix app, and today my Samsung Galaxy S7 got the Android Oreo upgrade. So now I'm discovering all sorts of little things that need to be reconfigured in all my apps.

In Remix, I had it set for the "fine controls" (5/30/60 second jump buttons, forwards and backwards) to appear on the lock screen. I would see the album art (which had the pause etc. controls invisibly overlaid) and then the fine control buttons below that. Now, post upgrade, on the lock screen I just get the previous / play / next trio of buttons, with no album art.

One possibly relevant fact is that I actually don't have any album art with my tracks. As described in my earlier posts here, I listen to mp3s generated from an archiving system (in 30 minute chunks) and none of them have album artwork. Previously, before today's update, Music Player (Remix) would display a big CD image in place of the album art. It still does this in the app itself, but not on the lock screen.

I've been seemingly everywhere in the app's settings and can't find how to turn that on. I know that this app has lot of config hidden off in weird places (settings! swipe right! long press! oh my!) so I'm guessing it's somewhere that I haven't found.

I thought I documented how to do this in my config notes that last time I struggled with this, but apparently not. Well, I will this time ...

I'm running the latest version of the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy