My apartment is making me give up my Nexus 6...

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is with reluctance that I have to report that I had T-Mobile ship me a Note 4, which is at home waiting for me.

I have coveted a Nexus for year. Ever since I was in the business of selling phones, I championed the Nexus. I bought a Nexus One, praised every Nexus since, and came back to the fold finally with the 6. (Lots of phones in between from iPhones, Samsungs, HTC's, Blackberry) I used to get a new phone every few months.

I love the Nexus 6. Love the screen. It's perfect for me as a big guy. (only regret is I don't want to fiddle with it to get knock on working).

Problem is that I have crappy signal in my place. Horrible. I got an LTE Booster which helped a bit, but I was banking on Band 12 with 5.1 and later wifi calling to help me out. Perfect signal everywhere else I go, but home is the worst. No. I can't move

Since updating to 5.1, VoLTE makes it worse. Dropped three calls i a row because even with the booster, the signal drops and the call is lost. Try paying a bill and having the call drop during the CC input...

So, T-Mobile helped me with the promotion on the Note 4 and offered to expedite one to me. I relented and it's now here. Tonight is the transfer and set-up. If it works out, then I will maybe box up my Nexus and sell it.

In the meantime, it will stare at me longingly from my shelf asking to be held, and I will sadly have to say no. Maybe I'll try to downgrade to 5.0.1 and then upgrade to 5.1's new "T-Mobile" build and see if that helps. Maybe when I get wifi calling I'll be back. Maybe when a new Nexus rears it's head...

Have fun without me, hopefully I'll be back soon.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Problem is that I have crappy signal in my place. Horrible. I got an LTE Booster which helped a bit, but I was banking on Band 12 with 5.1 and later wifi calling to help me out. Perfect signal everywhere else I go, but home is the worst. No. I can't move
I feel your pain. After 13 years with T-Mobile I finally gave up due to their crappy coverage in my home town. It always chapped me that when inside our neighborhood supermarket I had NO SIGNAL. I finally got a free trial SIM from Consumer Cellular and popped it in my extra Moto X. Wow! Four bars at my house as opposed to three with T-Mobile and it works in the supermarket so I can call my wife to ask what it was that she wanted me to pickup. Fast may be important to some but to me the prime requirement is COVERAGE.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Going on ATT or Verizon isn't an option until Wi-Fi calling hits the nexus 6 on T-Mobile? The product manager from T-Mobile said it should be coming soon after 5.1.

Are you sure you're area has band 12 yet? If it does verify your phone is actually connected to that band and not band 4. Use an app called lte discovery to verify this.

You have options if you don't want to give up the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. After 13 years with T-Mobile I finally gave up due to their crappy coverage in my home town. It always chapped me that when inside our neighborhood supermarket I had NO SIGNAL. I finally got a free trial SIM from Consumer Cellular and popped it in my extra Moto X. Wow! Four bars at my house as opposed to three with T-Mobile and it works in the supermarket so I can call my wife to ask what it was that she wanted me to pickup. Fast may be important to some but to me the prime requirement is COVERAGE.

You should do a test drive on room on T-Mobile at the end of this year. You might be surprised.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
To the OP... couldn't you turn off VoLTE to try and see if you get better call stability that way? Maybe losing LTE is what's causing you to drop calls at home.

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Going on ATT or Verizon isn't an option until Wi-Fi calling hits the nexus 6 on T-Mobile? The product manager from T-Mobile said it should be coming soon after 5.1.

Are you sure you're area has band 12 yet? If it does verify your phone is actually connected to that band and not band 4. Use an app called lte discovery to verify this.

You have options if you don't want to give up the phone.

I switched from AT&T, so going back is not really an option. Or rather it is, but spending $80 more per month for limited data isn't a good look. Yes. I have band 12. Yes it's in my area. Still a crappy signal. So, I'm going to take my Note 4 and use it until I can switch back. If the signal is a truly marked improvement, proving that it's the phone and not the network, I'll be heartbroken. I love the Nexus and switched from a Note 3 to get it.

But I'm sure it's just an issue with T-Mobile. I'd be more confident of that if my signal didn't go full bars a couple of blocks away.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I switched from AT&T, so going back is not really an option. Or rather it is, but spending $80 more per month for limited data isn't a good look. Yes. I have band 12. Yes it's in my area. Still a crappy signal. So, I'm going to take my Note 4 and use it until I can switch back. If the signal is a truly marked improvement, proving that it's the phone and not the network, I'll be heartbroken. I love the Nexus and switched from a Note 3 to get it.

But I'm sure it's just an issue with T-Mobile. I'd be more confident of that if my signal didn't go full bars a couple of blocks away.

I doubt the note is going to fix your reception problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Corey, since you sold phones, you are aware that inability to provide you with a usable signal is grounds for canceling the contract without an ETF, right? Just saying.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Its tough to have to give up a coveted device due to carrier coverage and your home base location. I was with Verizon for nearly 20 years and gave them up and won't ever go back. AT&T isn't my favorite either, but things work well, speeds are great and I have data to spare and share with anyone at Panera or Tim Hortons for that matter. Still I almost ordered a Note 4, really like Samsung phones and really like microSD, but given the S6/S6 Edge direction I see Samsung killing off microSD and well it was time to man up and get a Nexus.

Mine arrives Friday, I ordered on Sunday, it was built on Sunday but didn't ship until today and I couldn't figure out why until the tracking showed it was coming from China and will be here on Friday. Free shipping from China to New York, way to go Moto. Plus a Moto 360 in the box too :)

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Corey, since you sold phones, you are aware that inability to provide you with a usable signal is grounds for canceling the contract without an ETF, right? Just saying.

Yeah. I am aware. But it's T-Mobile. No contract and I bought and brought my own Nexus to them. So yes, I can leave. I can go back to AT&T and take my Nexus, but leaving a 2 for $100 unlimited to go back to the 2 for $160 15GB that I had is horrible. I regularly use 17gb or more on my line alone.

And because my home is the dead zone I can't really find a reason to complain, since I don't want to be truly bothered while I'm there. But when my girl tells me she called me 6 times and it went straight to voicemail and I can't hold a conversation even with the LTE Booster, I have concerns.

As far as the Note not solving my issues, I'm thinking that as much as the Nexus is compatible with all carriers that a carrier branded phone might work better in some ways. We'll see tonight. UPS delayed my delivery until today, so it should be delivered by 5pm.

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the note is going to fix your reception problem.

Unfortunately, it did.

Started with wifi only in order to download all of my apps and their updates. Still a lot of apps to go from Amazon and side load and such. After that, I looked at the signal strength that I was getting. The Note is pulling a much better strength of signal than the Nexus. Sitting side by side, I was getting half of what I got on the new phone.

What I didn't do yet and plan to do this weekend is check the actual db level for both. And it just occurred to me to check it with the LTE Booster in my place turned off. But as a real world test, in my place in the same places, I could make and hold a call consistently where I couldn't before. Maybe I have a bad Nexus. Maybe I need the new build with supposed updated radios.

I'll try to get Moto to send me another phone and see if that helps. If anyone is interested, I'll update this post once that happens and see what the results are. I'll also try to post side by sides of the phone in the same place to show you what I get. Maybe someone will see something I don't and solve my issue allowing me to go back to my Nexus. or maybe the tweet that Des sent showing a Nexus with wifi calling means it's closer than we think.

I'm not happy with Touchwiz, but I came from a Note 3 to the Nexus. I miss the clean lines. Also didn't realize I'd have to wipe my Moto 360 to pair it with the note 4.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, it did.

Started with wifi only in order to download all of my apps and their updates. Still a lot of apps to go from Amazon and side load and such. After that, I looked at the signal strength that I was getting. The Note is pulling a much better strength of signal than the Nexus. Sitting side by side, I was getting half of what I got on the new phone.

What I didn't do yet and plan to do this weekend is check the actual db level for both. And it just occurred to me to check it with the LTE Booster in my place turned off. But as a real world test, in my place in the same places, I could make and hold a call consistently where I couldn't before. Maybe I have a bad Nexus. Maybe I need the new build with supposed updated radios.

I'll try to get Moto to send me another phone and see if that helps. If anyone is interested, I'll update this post once that happens and see what the results are. I'll also try to post side by sides of the phone in the same place to show you what I get. Maybe someone will see something I don't and solve my issue allowing me to go back to my Nexus. or maybe the tweet that Des sent showing a Nexus with wifi calling means it's closer than we think.

I'm not happy with Touchwiz, but I came from a Note 3 to the Nexus. I miss the clean lines. Also didn't realize I'd have to wipe my Moto 360 to pair it with the note 4.

Yeah something seems off to me. Samsung is definitely not known for their amazing radios.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah the OP makes zero sense whatsoever. Either he is massively confused, or the Nexus 6 was defective. No way the N4/signal is dramatically (or even any) better than the Nexus.

It is unfathomable to me that the OP would just accept the Nexus as it was and switch phones. Sounds like he got very badly suckered by T-Mobile phone rep.

Too bad the OP was so malleable. Strange IMHO.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Radios and reception are the strongest points of the nexus 6 Imo. Always get a strong signal compared to my previous LG and Samsung phones.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, it did.

Is your Nexus 6 32GB or 64GB? If the latter, I may be interested in buying it from you...

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Is your Nexus 6 32GB or 64GB? If the latter, I may be interested in buying it from you...

It's 32gb, but I'm going to keep it. Actually, trying to get an RMA for Motorola to swap it out. I'm hoping my signal issues are because of faulty hardware.

I'm trying to love the Note again, since I had a 3, but everytime I look at the Nexus and pick it up, I want to switch back immediately. And then I realize I can make a phone call in my place...