My first impressions, Tab S7

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Setup was EASY. I experienced SOME frustration with SmartSwitch as I didn't plug the cable in far enough so I just did the transfer over wireless. All the info from my Tab S3, including the files from the SD card transferred to internal storage on the Tab S7.

I got the Tab S7 with 256 GB of storage. I had some reservations about the display, having had the Tab S3 with the SuperAMOLED previously. Those concerns were unwarranted, this display is NICE!

I got most of my apps logged in last night and started playing with some of the games I have (my primary use). This thing plays SMOOTH. My Tab S3 was getting to the point that if I was playing a game and a notification was being processed, the game would actually lag. This tab has NONE of that. Apps are opening super quick.

Battery life. BATTERY LIFE! I spent an hour playing a game that would have drained 50% from the Tab S3 during that time, I had 80-85% left when I quit.

Fingerprint sensor
On the 11" S7 it's in the power button. It's taking some getting used to, and it's had some "misses", but those might have been me. Some of that may be the 3rd-party case I had on it, I might give it some time with both covers to see if maybe I was getting some "interference".

The book cover.
I'm conflicted. I had bought a 3rd-party case so that I could have it when I got the tablet. The book cover arrived today (tablet came in yesterday). By the time I went to bed last night I was already on a quest to find the S-Pen as it had fallen off the back of the tablet (I found it within 2" of where the tablet was placed when I moved to the bedroom (placed it on a pillow on my bed, the pen dropped off the back of the tablet and got mixed in with the sheet). I like that the book cover has a spot inside the spine for the pen, but I don't like the lack of protection for the edges of the tablet. The 3rd-party case has the coverage I like there, while lacking the "internal" S-Pen storage. I also like (and maybe prefer) the triangle fold the 3rd-party cover affords, rather than the magnetized edge locations on the book cover. Don't get me wrong, the book cover feels really nice and doesn't add a lot of bulk to the tab, but I almost prefer the $10 case over the $35 one from Samsung.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm glad to hear you think the screen is still great on this version! I've a Note 20 Ultra which is Super Amoled and have owned Tab S 10.5 etc in the past all with Super Amoled screens the screen on this smaller model is the only think holding me back.

I'd go for the 12.4 but having briefly owned a Pixel Slate (around same size) it's just too big

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd go for the 12.4 but having briefly owned a Pixel Slate (around same size) it's just too big
Honestly, I don't feel like I'd be comfortable with the 12" unit for my usage. I feel like this one (with the change in aspect ratio making it taller than the Tab S3) is about right.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Right now I'm feeling that the S7+ is too big. I thought that the S6 was a little too small and narrow so wanted something bigger. Now I'm thinking it's a good size. Going to stick it out and see if I will get adjusted to the size. For now it's like carrying my ultrabook around everywhere.
Hi, I'm glad to hear you think the screen is still great on this version! I've a Note 20 Ultra which is Super Amoled and have owned Tab S 10.5 etc in the past all with Super Amoled screens the screen on this smaller model is the only think holding me back.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree I wish the S7 had all the goodies of the plus model, but I will use it and see how I adapt.

The again I wish we had a top of the line 8 inch model too. I guess I should be glad that Samsung is still making good tablets...LOL

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I don't feel like I'd be comfortable with the 12" unit for my usage. I feel like this one (with the change in aspect ratio making it taller than the Tab S3) is about right.

That's how I felt when I went from tab s2 9.7 to tab s4 I couldn't get used to the landscape form factor , I prefer the portrait form factor because I mostly just read on my tablets and use them to study, then s7 plus is awesome but I also gotta see if I can get used to the landscape form, this is one of the reasons I ended up getting an IPad Pro, but I'm going to give this tablet a shot and make up my mind before the return period ends if I want to keep it,

Some of the apps I use the most where being very glitch last night, the you version Bible app specifically.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree I wish the S7 had all the goodies of the plus model, but I will use it and see how I adapt.

The again I wish we had a top of the line 8 inch model too. I guess I should be glad that Samsung is still making good tablets...LOL

How you finding the Tab S7 screen compared to older super Amoled ones?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go with the S7, I have the S7 plus... I would have purchased the S7 if it had all those goodies!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
other than screen size and type, aren't the 2 devices identical?

Super AMOLED 120 Hz with in display FPS, Battery size and BALLER status!!!! HAHAHA

I really didn't want to downgrade screen quality and wanted the extra keys on the keyboard. #FirstWorldProblems

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
@hallux, I agree with this, "I like that the book cover has a spot inside the spine for the pen, but I don't like the lack of protection for the edges of the tablet." This case is much less protective than the S4 Book Cover, but I don't like other aspects f that case.

I'm keeping my A-Pen inside the Book Cover when I finish using it for the day. I was concerned about battery-charging time when I want to use it, but I read yesterday that it only takes 5 minutes to charge from 0-100%.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Not getting the Plus, its way too much tablet for me, the 11 inch is perfect.

I agree as much as I'd prefer the better Amoled screen 12.4 is too large to comfortably hold in Portrait mode, I previously owned a 12.3 Pixel Slate and it was unusable or portable because of its size.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree as much as I'd prefer the better Amoled screen 12.4 is too large to comfortably hold in Portrait mode, I previously owned a 12.3 Pixel Slate and it was unusable or portable because of its size.

I did own the Samsung Pro 12.4 a while back. Sweet tablet. But it was so big that when I tried taking a pic of a spider on the bathroom wall, (I know, I know...) the spider moved, I freaked out, the tablet slipped... and became a big flat brick. So I'm done overestimating myself 😂

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I did own the Samsung Pro 12.4 a while back. Sweet tablet. But it was so big that when I tried taking a pic of a spider on the bathroom wall, (I know, I know...) the spider moved, I freaked out, the tablet slipped... and became a big flat brick. So I'm done overestimating myself 😂

The only photo worthy spider is a dead spider. 😜

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech