My First Tablet: Mini Review, and 1 Question

DroidFox

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Greetings Fellow Nexus 7 Owners,

First off let me say that this is my first tablet, though everyone I know owns an Ipad so I've use that on a regular basis. What triggered me to buy this guy were the price (I got a $30 off any tablet from Staples), the specs, and the Android operating system. I've owned two Android phones with the latest being the Galaxy S3 and I love how easily you can personalize things. Apple it too constricted for my liking, but I guess that is why their devices seem to be more secure.
When I first took it out of the box there were a few updates one being for Android 4.3 which is the newest OS. After a couple of restarts it was good to go. I was not immediately blown away at the display until I started surfing the web and reading text. Even small text is crisp, clear and easy to read. This certainly has a much better display than any other tablet or phone I've held.

Next up was an HD video test which was a video game demo of Assassin's Creed 4. The video looked great, and the sound too was better than I expected. Colors seemed natural, and the image was clear and smooth. I set my device to auto brightness and it seems to adjust well, if not too often.
I then wanted to test a high performance game so I purchased two: Real Racing 3 and Riptide GP2. Both looked and played fantastic on high settings with no frame rate issues what so ever. In fact, I couldn't stop playing until my wife gave me that look because i was so absorbed in the scenes of the game. The audio was also very good for these two games.

I've been reading about people having issues with Multi-touch and GPS outages. I can't say I have experienced either, but I've only had the device for two weeks and I don't use GPS often. I did download an emulator for SNES and when playing games with two hands I do not notice any issues except for my own mistakes on finger placement. In fact the only issue I've had so far is with app crashes, mainly Currents (a news app) and Google Maps. However, they are not regular enough for me to even worry about.

Overall I am extremely happy with this purchase. For the price and specs I do not think there is a better 7" tablet on the market today. Even when the new Ipad Mini comes out I don't expect it to be any better in terms of specs than this Nexus 7. With 2GB of RAM, a quad core 1.5 GHz processor and the highest resolution display on a 7" ever...why wouldn't you buy this guy?

Anyway, I am a gamer. The first thing I did when I got this thing out of the box (after the updates) was download two visually appealing games: Riptide 2 and Real Racing 3. Both look stunning on this screen. Question, how can I get my PS3 controller with OTG to work with Real Racing 3? When I plug in my controller it works for the home screen/scrolling, works with my Super NES emulator, but not with Real Racing 3. Has anyone had any luck without rooting?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GM44