My Galaxy S III won't turn on

Beckie Chaulk

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy S3 won't turn on

Can someone help me with my samsung galaxy. I can not take it to carrier as warranty is over. It keeps shutting down after being left with 40% battery life. My daughter just did the power home volume bottom it just came on for the first time in 2 days. How can I stop this from happening.

nana9899

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

i installed the link for the firmware and it opened but , what's next ? how to install the software from my pc ?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

i installed the link for the firmware and it opened but, what's next?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you tell us which post # you're referring to; or quote the pertinent part of the post?
How about telling us what's wrong with your phone?
Maybe the model number and carrier?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

It keeps shutting down after being left with 40% battery life.
Do you mean that it works fine until the battery reaches ~40%, then it just shuts itself off? If that's the case then it sounds like it's time for a new battery.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Rick Paul1

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

You're saying that it will not finish booting successfully, or that when you press the Power button for ~5 seconds you don't feel a slight vibration and the screen never lights up?

If the latter, what happens when you connect a charger? Does a static grey battery graphic show, followed by a graphic showing the current battery level and charging activity?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

all your questions happened on my unit (S3). it was totally black out even if it is connect to the charger.

need help

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

it was totally black out even if it is connect to the charger
Did it get dropped, or something that would account for the screen going out?

If you take the battery out and reinsert it and then press the Power button, does it even vibrate? Or make the usual boot up sounds? If the answer to these two questions is no then the only thing I can think of would be a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/)

kellyw08

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Hi GSDer

I've read everything you've posted, and I've been trying everything but so far no luck.

Today my phone was working fine, the battery was charged, I was using it without problem. I went to pick it up maybe 20 minutes after the last message I had received, and it wouldn't turn on. Totally black. Holding power got me the samsung white logo screen. I can't get past this. Plugging in shows no light, just the grey circle battery.

I've tried clearing the cache, rebooting, and attempted to do a factory reset in recovery mode which failed.

Through download mode I've used kies. It refuses to recognize my phone.

So I tried your advance and manually input the information through the update and installation button.
It freezes at 0%, as some other users have reported.

I tried a diffferent USB port, same.
I tried a different computer, same.

I'm no longer able to access the recovery screen at this point, I was going to try again for a factory reset through the phones options but it won't allow it.
I can still access the download screen, but nothing with Kies is working.

Do you have any suggestions?
The phone hasn't been dropped or spilt on or anything... it just... stopped. It's really important to my job that I have my phone so I'm quite stressed by this!

Thank you in advance.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Hi GSDer
I've read everything you've posted
I'm by no means an expert - I know just enough to be dangerous...

Since Kies got stuck for whatever reason your best bet is to try using a tool called Odin (just Google it - look for v3.07) to reload the firmware. You can look here - select your device in the drop-down list in the upper left, and then find whatever version of firmware you had and download that. You'll need to extract the firmware (and Odin files), and you can follow the instructions in any rooting sub-forum.

If you want to tell us the model number/carrier/firmware/region (if an International user) I'll give you the link to the specific file to download. And instructions on how to use Odin if necessary.

TJR1486

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Hey GSDer,

My sprint SPH-L710 wont turn on starting this morning. It will flash the samsung sign and then not go any further. I have tried holding the volume up+home+power and down+home+power and neither will do anything. I have tried plugging it in and the battery symbol does not show. It flashes the red charging light and then doesnt do anything else. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

It will flash the samsung sign and then not go any further. I have tried holding the volume up+home+power and down+home+power and neither will do anything.
It's rather strange that it will boot as far as the Samsung logo but that it won't boot into Download mode. The key sequence is rather timing dependent - are you familiar with it? Have you done it before this happened?
- you start with the phone completely off
- press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling logo (not the static white text)
If the phone won't boot into Download mode there's not much we can do for you.
Edit: you could purchase a JIG for a few dollars that will force it into Download mode; the only other option would be a JTAG service.

TJR1486

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

It's rather strange that it will boot as far as the Samsung logo but that it won't boot into Download mode. The key sequence is rather timing dependent - are you familiar with it? Have you done it before this happened?
- you start with the phone completely off
- press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling logo (not the static white text)
If the phone won't boot into Download mode there's not much we can do for you.
Edit: you could purchase a JIG for a few dollars that will force it into Download mode; the only other option would be a JTAG service.

Thanks for the help. I ended up taking it to the sprint store today. The tech took it apart and some how the power button had shifted and wasn't lining up. He shifted it back to the correct spot and now it works fine luckily. Just need it to last a couple more weeks until my pre-ordered S5 comes in.

Beth Carr

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem except my S3 is not turning on at all. No lighting up, no Samsung logo, no charging logo when plugged in; basically it is doing absolutely nothing at all when I attempt to turn it on. It had 80% charge this morning, it was next to me and when I went to check the time, nothing happened. I tried plugging the charger in, taking the battery out and putting it back in, and I have held in every button but nothing at all was happening. I took it to the phone-fixing shop (mobile phone hospital hehe) and he tried a different battery with full charge and still nothing happened. I then left it there for an hour so that he could take it apart and look around inside to see if anything was loose or any clips were out of place and everything looked fine, you'd think the phone should be working by looking inside. He's now keeping it overnight to test the motherboard. I am now phoneless for the night and dread to think how much this is gonna cost me.

s b4

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

how has that motherboard problem work out for you. i have the same issue. but don't have another motherboard to find out what exactly is the issue.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
i have the same issue
The same symptoms? No screen activity; no vibration; no audio; nothing on the screen when you connect a charger?

You've tried taking the battery out for a couple of minutes and then reinserting it?

clara332

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem !!
My S3 was repeatedly turning itself on and off, but i thought it was because my power/lock button was having some problems. Then all of a sudden, it turned off and hasn't turned back on. I've tried pressing and holding down the volume up, power, and home button but it doesn't work. I've taken the battery out multiple times. Every time i put it to charge, it shows that its getting charged. Before its "death", it had 50-something percent of battery. I even switched batteries, but that didn't work either. I don't know what to do with it anymore. I have literally tried everything. Please help :(
Model: SGH-T999

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
My S3 was repeatedly turning itself on and off
You're right that this is a typical symptom of Power switch failure. The easiest way to confirm that is to take the battery out, wait a couple of minutes and then reinsert it - if the phone powers on by itself then the switch is probably stuck or defective.

It appears that your problem is different now. If the phone won't turn on at all it may be that the switch gave out completely. One quick thing to check is to hold down the Home + Volume Up buttons, then to connect the phone to the charger (which briefly acts like the Power switch).

itsshotiiiime

May 3, 2014
Visit site

I have had the same problem. Several times in fact. In most cases my phone will shut off completely without any warning no matter what battery percentage. This morning, it had 64% battery then shut off as though i had pressed the off button (the screen didn't just go black). Now, every time I try to turn it on I get the Samsung logo and the Galaxy S3 startup page; then, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

itsshotiiiime

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Update: I accidentally hit my phone and it buzzed like it was going to turn on. Buzz. Samsung logo. Galaxy S3 startup page. Blackout. I think my phone is experiencing some kind of demonic possession. Will provide updates on latest developments...

Emily Nickey

May 4, 2014
Visit site

My phone does the same thing - May 1st I was using it and it just shut off. This has happened before so I thought nothing of it and took the battery out to restart it. But it never fully turned back on. I say fully because the Samsung logo comes on but it goes no further. Also, I might add, as soon as I put the battery back in, it briefly vibrates then starts to turn on. (I never pressed the power button) After doing this multiple times and trying to leave the battery out for a bit, I decide to try charging it.. Maybe the battery is dead? Nope! The battery symbol flashed stating that it was 80% charged but then the screen immediately went black again. And no LED light showing that it was charging either. After removing the battery/ removing the charger/ etc multiple times, the battery symbol never popped up again.
Tonight, I tried connecting it to the charger for the hell of it and the LED turned red, it briefly vibrated then the grey battery symbol popped up.
Then it went off again, of course. And I haven't gotten it to come back.
I went to AT&T and a sales rep tried all the different button combinations and said what it's doing is a sign of water damage. Yet, the indicator stickers, don't show any sign of water damage??? Anyways, they told me the phone was done for. But it's only a year old, so I'm not a happy camper.
I've also tried pressing home/volume up/power & home/volume down/power simultaneously myself and NOTHING!
Any suggestions?
I've pretty much given up hope on it coming back to "life" but figured there's no hurt in trying! Since it would be lovely to have my phone back.