My individual contact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

gwaynet

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately what I'm finding is that, while I can assign a unique message tone to a conversation (using Android Messages on an AT&T Galaxy S8+ for example), everyone in the conversation generates the same message tone when they reply. You can't determine who's replying based on the message tone. I'm hopeful someone can prove this wrong - or point out a third party message app that enables setting a unique message tone per contact (not per conversation).

Epitome

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If you look around the forum you will see a lot written about this. It appears the feature had been removed from the native samsung text app in oreo. Try a third party text app like Textra. It allows for custom notifications by sender.

If you install Textra, do it pick up historical message or are you starting with a clean slate?

Lovelyladylv

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I have the Note 8 and I found how to assign a custom text notification sound to a person in the default app. Open the person in text messages you want to assign the tone to, go to the 3 dots in the right upper corner, click on notifications and you can choose from there. It's not gone, just moved. This has been driving me crazy!

Spensergirl

Jul 8, 2018
Visit site
If you look around the forum you will see a lot written about this. It appears the feature had been removed from the native samsung text app in oreo. Try a third party text app like Textra. It allows for custom notifications by sender.

I hope someone can help me out. Like everyone else Samsung ridiculously remove the custom notifications and I need them for work. I installed Textra and it looks like a great app but for some reason even if I set it as default Samsung keeps going back to its old or so-called new version without the custom notification anybody know why? I have checked several times and texture is installed and listed as the default. Thanks for any help

Spensergirl

Jul 8, 2018
Visit site
I have the same experience I called Samsung and they were rude and would not commit to whether they're going to return it or not so I told them since they couldn't give me an answer I will just get an iPhone on my next upgrade they didn't care of course

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the same experience I called Samsung and they were rude and would not commit to whether they're going to return it or not so I told them since they couldn't give me an answer I will just get an iPhone on my next upgrade they didn't care of course
They already gave you the option back. It's just per conversation and not per contact now.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well....first the fact that others have the same problem does not make me feel any better. Second, it's not causing the entire world around me to cease to exist either. That said, one thing I found out. I have a S7 and immediately after the Oreo update last week I lost the message bubble. A few days ago I bought a S9 and it had Oreo already installed and funny thing.....anything to do with message notifications that didn't work on my S7 after the Oreo update works perfectly on the S9, so what does that tell me? The update is either compatible with the S9, designed for newer models such as the S9, OR just gave no priority, or not enough of one for the S7. I'm going with a mix of the former and the latter. Not sure why this is a S8 thread, since I typed in S7 Oreo issues, but hey......

Chris Locke2

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Re: My individual tact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?

Isn't this more an issue with Contacts, and not so much messenger? We set custom message tones in contacts, along with custom ringtones, however yes, message tone is not available in oreo when editing contact.

Regardless, c'mon, Samsung, get your s#!@ together. 🤣

Jadesavel

Jul 17, 2018
Visit site
I agree with all of you, I have wasted many hours trying to get back my individual notifications, i even went as far as a factory reset hoping I would be able to pick a date for my backup, nope... they thought of everything to make sure you don't get them back! I'm getting tired of the changes,change is good! But don't screw with a feature that is pretty much the top selling point for android.

bluesuga

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
the solution is right here!!

the actual version you want is 5.0.21.18 according to my galaxy s7, you can find it on apkmirror and install it on your phone, it won't have the notification function in contacts, but you will be able to personalize the sounds for each conversation in txt message app.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded and installed, but i dont see the option to change the notifications
it's per conversation not per individual contact now. so you have to click on the conversation of the person and thin click the three dots at the top. there will be a pull down menu where it will say notification. click that.

Cynthia Ramsey

Nov 25, 2018
Visit site
There is another solution without using a third-party app or changing to Google.

It has to be done individually just like you did it in contacts to begin with. When you are in a message to a particular person go to the top right hand corner and click on the three dots. At the very top it will say Notifications (Default). The word default is in red. Under it there is another button that says Custom.
Click on custom then go to the right and click on the little Wheel that looks like a Settings icon and click the sound you want.

Make sure that your sound is set on at least "High" or the next level up. If not you will receive no notification sound. I have not deleted a thread to see if that deletes the setting, but then I'd have no reason to as if I deleted the thread I probably wouldn't care about the setting.
I hope that helps!