my new evo

bluebandit97

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got my evo (hazah!) and i got back to work and was setting everything up and i noticed that it is hardware version 0003.:'( what is the difference between version 0003 and 0004? did i just get kinda screwed?

EDIT: Is there a trick to keeping the wifi connected? we have several wifi networks here at work and everytime i switch, i cant seem to keep a consistant connection to the orig when i get back to my office

Last edited:

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the specifics but mines a 3 and it has less trouble than my wifes 4. Of course it could be operator dificulty. LOL

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
no real big difference.. if you dont know..
dont worry about it.

the wifi.. go find a wifi analyzer app in the market... test the signals. see if you can find what is troubling you.

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
with the wifi see if it's on sleep policy. Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi settings>Menu>Advance>Wi-Fi sleep policy. see what it is set on

bluebandit97

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
no real big difference.. if you dont know..
dont worry about it.

the wifi.. go find a wifi analyzer app in the market... test the signals. see if you can find what is troubling you.

thanks. i just hate buying something new and it not being "new"

with the wifi see if it's on sleep policy. Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi settings>Menu>Advance>Wi-Fi sleep policy. see what it is set on

the sleep policy is set to never

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
There's a Power widget that you can add to the screen. If I hit a bump in my wifi connection, I find shutting off wifi and then turning it back on works. I haven't had to do that since I added Juice Defender though. For whatever reason my wifi connection is happy as a lark since I installed that program.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry. I have the first build. And I just keeps on truckin away. Do yourself a favor, enjoy your new phone. Oh; when your ready to root we'll be here for you too.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
thanks. i just hate buying something new and it not being "new"

New In Box and newest hardware are two different stories.
Honestly dont get too caught up in the version number. Your gonna be one of those people that goes nuts every time they hear a revision has been made and think you need the revised version. The newer revised models are not always better.

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I love this forum. I too bought a EVO last week and I also noticed my Hardware # is 0003 I have been wondering the same thing so I looked it up on youtube. There's a video showing the hardware # is in relation to the screen resolution. He says the 0003 build has a better (more vibrant) screen res. because the older EVO's have a diffrent screen than the newer ones. 0004 and up has more muted colors (the greys look more purplish and the other colors are washed out) I haven't met anyone with a 0004 build yet so I can compare the two phones myself and the Youtube video was hard to see the diffrence. He also said the backs of the phones were different. The #0003 build has a flat black color and the #0004 has a pearl like backing. Check your build #'s everyone and let's see the truth to this. I don't feel cheated if the #0003 has better color. I like it. I do however wonder how the heck I just bought this at Best Buy and I have an EVO with an "old" build #. I highly doubt this EVO was sitting on the shelf since last June.... any thoughts?

madflasher

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
no big difference in 0003 and 0004 it has something to do with the camera chip. unless you're rooted the 0004 hardware has a lot of issues with custom ROMS, 0003 is older but better for that. although some late model 0003 have the same camera chip as 0004. if your not rooted no worries.

bluebandit97

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry. I have the first build. And I just keeps on truckin away. Do yourself a favor, enjoy your new phone. Oh; when your ready to root we'll be here for you too.

Im thinking of doing that this weekend. i played around in the code a little last weekend trying to find a way around the lockout in DOS without rooting. Whats the best root that you know of? I was thinking of trying out CyanogenMod 7 (i think thats what its called). any thoughts/issues/concerns?

Wow, I love this forum. I too bought a EVO last week and I also noticed my Hardware # is 0003 I have been wondering the same thing so I looked it up on youtube. There's a video showing the hardware # is in relation to the screen resolution. He says the 0003 build has a better (more vibrant) screen res. because the older EVO's have a diffrent screen than the newer ones. 0004 and up has more muted colors (the greys look more purplish and the other colors are washed out) I haven't met anyone with a 0004 build yet so I can compare the two phones myself and the Youtube video was hard to see the diffrence. He also said the backs of the phones were different. The #0003 build has a flat black color and the #0004 has a pearl like backing. Check your build #'s everyone and let's see the truth to this. I don't feel cheated if the #0003 has better color. I like it. I do however wonder how the heck I just bought this at Best Buy and I have an EVO with an "old" build #. I highly doubt this EVO was sitting on the shelf since last June.... any thoughts?

I have a white one, so the pearl would be kind of cool. Although it really doesnt matter much as its going in an OtterBox Defender case :D

no big difference in 0003 and 0004 it has something to do with the camera chip. unless you're rooted the 0004 hardware has a lot of issues with custom ROMS, 0003 is older but better for that. although some late model 0003 have the same camera chip as 0004. if your not rooted no worries.

This is good info to know. Now i dont feel so bad in getting an "older" model

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
For reference my GF just got one the other day too and i wanted to check her HW to see if she got a newer one then mine. . . Nope. Hers is 003 also. Just newer Hboot and sw version so making a PITA to root now. So I gotta do the long way :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos